IV anywhere on the horizon?

I guess my point is that both of those products seem to sell very well even though some users say they don't sound as good. Imagine how much more popular a Fractal device would be with a more competitive UI. I agree the current UI is a big improvement over previous generations and I can use it when needed. But it is not as intuitive, to me, as those other devices. Nevertheless, I did keep my Fractal gear over those other options because I prefer the Fractal tones and effects. So UI isn't everything, but it is a big selling point for many in these post iPhone times.
what are the specific UI areas that u think are not so competative?, and how would u suggest those be changed specifically?

Hmm, I don’t understand ”complaints” about the current Fractal Audio UI. Why would I want to do adjustments from the device itself while the device is on the floor at home. Helix and QC touch screens are still quite small to operate and the legs and back don’t like floor jumping even if there is two touch screens. I don’t also understand when I see floor units on the table in homes. Why not to use already existing great computer editor in both cases. Touch screen doesn’t automatically mean better UI and can be quite annoying to use actually. I understand that touch screen doesn’t have to be the only UI when there is touch screen in the device. Improvements can always be done for every UI and all kinds of shortcuts are probably most useful during gigs.

I guess my point is that both of those products seem to sell very well even though some users say they don't sound as good. Imagine how much more popular a Fractal device would be with a more competitive UI.
Again, your logic isn't clear. That a product exists on the market and sells, and, incidentally, has a graphical interface on its front panel, doesn't mean that people bought it because of the interface, and, as a result, stole sales from another company. Nor does it follow that adding a graphical interface to a product would increase its sales.

For instance, I had multiple Helix, i.e., products with graphical interfaces, yet, I got rid of them and use ones that don't have a graphical interface on the front panel. Why would that be? Because the graphical interface on the unit wasn't nearly as important as the sound and performance of the unit itself?

Last edited:
I have never understood the complaints about the interface. I think that because everything is so good, we have nothing else to really complain about, and it feels weird?

AxeEdit is great, and I don’t know why you’d want to do deep editing at a gig, which is surely the only time you wouldn’t have access to AxeEdit?

What I WOULD like is to not have to fiddle with the layout to tweak effects. Like a simple list of current blocks would be ace, so one could just scroll down to the relevant effect without tapping around the whole grid.

I have never understood the complaints about the interface. I think that because everything is so good, we have nothing else to really complain about, and it feels weird?

AxeEdit is great, and I don’t know why you’d want to do deep editing at a gig, which is surely the only time you wouldn’t have access to AxeEdit?

What I WOULD like is to not have to fiddle with the layout to tweak effects. Like a simple list of current blocks would be ace, so one could just scroll down to the relevant effect without tapping around the whole grid.
Pretty sure the complaints are mainly when trying to use the unit(s) to create/edit patches. AxeEdit is great on a computer!
The only update to AxeEdit that I'd like to see is if the "Authentic" tab had an image of said gear. I know it's a stupid graphic and probably has legal issues circulating around it but for me it would bring that immersion in like other sims, I've been wanting it since the axe2 days!

I guess my point is that both of those products seem to sell very well even though some users say they don't sound as good.
I think Line6 sells well because it is largely available almost everywhere and has different and lower price range.

Kemper definitely doesn’t sell for the UI even if the App is a huge step forward.

QC sells the few produced, still I’ve never seen one one a live show.

I think Line6 sells well because it is largely available almost everywhere and has different and lower price range.

Kemper definitely doesn’t sell for the UI even if the App is a huge step forward.

QC sells the few produced, still I’ve never seen one one a live show.
QC has been out a year so it's not likely you are going to randomly see it on stage as not that many have it.

Availability of the other brands and cost definitely are a big part. I can buy a Line6, Kemper or QC here in Finland much easier than having to get a Fractal through G66 in Germany.

But at the same time I do believe that the QC and Helix are better user experiences overall when used from the device itself. I use Axe-Edit all the time with my Axe-Fx 3 only because it's the best way to operate it and anything else is more annoying. Meanwhile when I had the Helix or QC I rarely felt I needed the computer editor and QC doesn't even have one still.

I've been a strong critic of the Fractal onboard UI and have a pretty big pile of wish list item ideas for how to improve it for consistency and ease of use. Despite all that I own an Axe-Fx 3 because I know how to work with it, I like how its amp modeling and fx sound. I've been using Fractal gear for over a decade now so I know how to work around its deficiencies but at the same time I do want it to be easier to work with.

Any 4th gen unit Fractal releases in the future can make its biggest improvements in the UI and user experience department.

At the moment there's no "Goldilocks" amp modeler out there that is excellent in every area. If I had to pick one unit to rule them all, it would be the Line6 Helix Floor because it has the switching, expression control, I/O, easy user interface and enough DSP horsepower for most users. I wanted something more desktop friendly, hence the Axe-Fx 3.

Again, your logic isn't clear. That a product exists on the market and sells, and, incidentally, has a graphical interface on its front panel, doesn't mean that people bought it because of the interface, and, as a result, stole sales from another company. Nor does it follow that adding a graphical interface to a product would increase its sales.

For instance, I had multiple Helix, i.e., products with graphical interfaces, yet, I got rid of them and use ones that don't have a graphical interface on the front panel. Why would that be? Because the graphical interface on the unit wasn't nearly as important as the sound and performance of the unit itself?
I'm not sure why you removed the part of my post that said something similar? Despite the less appealing on unit UI I kept my Fractal gear over those other devices because I preferred the tones and effects. No complaints about AxeEdit, it's great. That said, to argue UI isn't a huge selling point of those other products seems detached from the reality of today. Someone should probably tell Apple that no one cares about UI and the iPhone will be a huge failure.

Back
Top Bottom