IV anywhere on the horizon?

I use axe edit and axe edit is ok. So I don’t complain with the UI

But concerning the front panel that I never use (except some details) :

I’m 99% sure that this is the main reason that most of the bands use kempers live . Just because the knobs mimic a normal amp at first look. People don’t want menus for gigs . They see « treble » and turn down treble if they need to do it.

And that’s sad to see kemper on stage as the axe sounds better .

Last edited:
Here is my take from using the devices as my job. The interface on the QC is cool. But here is my issue. On a gig, in the studio, whatever the situation playing music, it is very hard to bend down or even see/change a setting on a floor device. It is nice, but really doesn't change the quality of the sound - isn't that what you really buy a processor for? The sound?

Now having said that - I am all for a better computer interface - because that is a real way you can manipulate the setting on a device like this. I think if you have something like the QC on your desk you can do lots of quick changes, but then loose the function of the footswitches. Same with a kemper. It is seems fractal is looking at it from a "complete" budget/build model. What would be the most useful features knowing there is a limit....

I myself talked about buying a QC - we have one here in the studio, but again, like the kemper, unless you have an arsenal of effects/amps/cabs/etc. the box sounds are "ok" and so what you end up with is something that is ok with a cool interface. And if you use just that one amp all the time, then a QC might be the way to go - but that still means the interface doesn't really matter all that much.

Let's be real for a minute...when is the last time L6 updated their cabs?? QC has cool switches but no software (yet). Kemper is a pro device, just that the software is not so great....so this might answer some of the whys to your questions.

Again, as much as many non-pro players buy these devices, really in the end, they are designed with a professional in mind. There are companies that take a different approach like Brand L6 for example and that is cool. And if that is your thing, go for that.....

There are less and less companies providing working players the real tools they need without a lot bells and whistles that don't get you too far, and I am happy fractal has stuck to supporting us that way....

I’m 99% sure that this is the main reason that most of the bands use kempers live. Just because the knobs mimic a normal amp at first look. People don’t want menus for gigs . They see « treble » and turn down treble if they need to do it. And that’s sad to see kemper on stage as the axe sounds better .
Not only can the Axe-Fx's front panel knobs (ie. knobs A-E) be set to control most amp parameters(via Performance Mode), they can be set to control just about any parameter in the unit, which is something the Kemper can't do.

Not only can the Axe-Fx's front panel knobs (ie. knobs A-E) be set to control most amp parameters(via Performance Mode), they can be set to control just about any parameter in the unit, which is something the Kemper can't do.
Yes it can do quite everything but everytime you need to read a page before doing it . So you don’t do it. I ve never tested the performance mode after 2 years with the product, cause you have already 143 345 things to do before that . So that’s a UI problem. And I’m a geek. Imagine when you are not a geek .

Yes it can do quite everything but everytime you need to read a page before doing it . So you don’t do it. I ve never tested the performance mode after 2 years with the product, cause you have already 143 345 things to do before that . So that’s a UI problem. And I’m a geek. Imagine when you are not a geek .
If FAS came up with a grab and go rig, say a 112 combo with a 350 watt stereo power amp that was simple to use open to load whatever amp, cab a 5 effects yet have basic controls, foot switchable and a CC pedal I would be all over it.

The perform view is quite limited, you need to make sure you configure it beforehand to your liking and you cannot configure it using the onboard UI in a pinch. I think Fractal could do a ton more with that feature and even more if they supported 3rd party MIDI knob controllers properly (relative values, global mapping, Axe-Edit/front panel working at the same time for mapped controls).

But it's far off from something as simple as Kemper having plenty of dedicated controls for the things you need most.

-Agree 100% on UI/workflow. Next iteration needs a Touchscreen. Everything in our world is touchscreen at this point, anything less will feel dated...
That the result of viewing these units as computers. If you want to convince the guitar world, your unit needs nobs ;-)

That the result of viewing these units as computers. If you want to convince the guitar world, your unit needs nobs ;-)

That's what people say about Tubes as well. Yet, Here we are..... If u want to convince the guitar world, have good tone.

I have yet to hear 1 person say "man that QC needs some more knobs to feel authentic". Infact the opposite is true, people love how easy it is to use. Has nothing to do with viewing it as a computer.

Most FAS editing is done on Axe Edit which has no physical knobs....

Just out of curiosity how IV would look like if it's got a touchscreen on the whole front panel with AXE-EDIT's UI ported on it, I made a fake image.
Those who are the advocate of touchscreens, do you guys really want AXE to look like it?? At least I want a physical headphone volume knob on front panel there...
IV test.jpg

Im fairly confident it wont be touchscreen anything, but time will tell.
I don’t want a touch screen anywhere close to where the bottoms of my shoes are, especially after walking through a bar and/or their parking lot, so that rules out touch screen on floor models for me. I also don’t want to have to try to edit anything sitting or squatting on the floor, so I see absolutely no reason for that sort of screen on a rack device.

I’d much rather rely on a device I already have that has a perfectly good touch screen, such as my tablet or phone. So maybe some protocol over Bluetooth, with the option of connecting directly using USB. A Bluetooth->USB dongle perhaps. And that’d have the ability to work with this generation of hardware.

Just out of curiosity how IV would look like if it's got a touchscreen on the whole front panel with AXE-EDIT's UI ported on it, I made a fake image.
Those who are the advocate of touchscreens, do you guys really want AXE to look like it?? At least I want a physical headphone volume knob on front panel there...
View attachment 103680
No. This doesn’t work for the same reason the QC would be awful if it had only a touchscreen. The QC works because the touchscreen is mostly for selecting stuff and the physical knob/switches are the adjustment controls. It is very quick to work with even if there is some mental learning for on screen vs physical control mapping.

One of the things I dislike about Fractal is the lack of physical controls. The 5 knobs require plenty of menuing to use and you can’t reasonably augment it with extra knob controllers.

That's what people say about Tubes as well. Yet, Here we are..... If u want to convince the guitar world, have good tone.

I have yet to hear 1 person say "man that QC needs some more knobs to feel authentic". Infact the opposite is true, people love how easy it is to use. Has nothing to do with viewing it as a computer.

Most FAS editing is done on Axe Edit which has no physical knobs....

It's not about what people are saying. It's about what they use live on stage. This is obviously what they are compfortable with. In the studios this might be a totally different story.

It's not about what people are saying. It's about what they use live on stage. This is obviously what they are compfortable with. In the studios this might be a totally different story.

Most people aren't doing editing live on stage, with a modeler or an amp. Sure most old school guitarists are more comfortable with their guitar equipment having knobs, but as people use smartphones they become more open minded toward other items having touchscreens. Also, that demographic is generally older. Younger guitarists won't have the same biases as they're growing up using modelers, smartphones, ipads, etc.

That's why I think modelers will move in that direction.

I’d much rather rely on a device I already have that has a perfectly good touch screen, such as my tablet or phone. So maybe some protocol over Bluetooth, with the option of connecting directly using USB. A Bluetooth->USB dongle perhaps. And that’d have the ability to work with this generation of hardware.

Have you had issues with your FM3/9's screen? If not, you probably wouldn't with a touchscreen either. Any risk people express with a touchscreen are the same risks they already have with the current screens, in addition, you also have risks with the knobs...

Knobs are riskier than a touchscreen in my experience. Easier to break off, is often soldered directly to the board, leaving the board susceptible to water/beer damage. My AX8 had knob issues. Not saying a touchscreen isn't without risks, just saying an argument can be made that it's actually safer for the hardware since it can be sealed.

As for an option for bluetooth using our phones - I agree that's the most likely path forward, and I'd be OK with that if no touchscreen is offered.

More/larger touchscreens = more fragile expensive components for me to break. I’ll take a device built like a tank with a less “visual” UI any day of the week. Personal preference, but I don’t believe the narrative that Fractal’s UI is inferior. It is different, but I appreciate the trade off of superior (imo) build quality vs more screens.

Touchscreen make a breeze to navigate and select! Knobs are useful to change parameters. So I wish next gen will have a touchscreen and rotary knob to adjust parameters. And app to connect to tablet/smartphone to remote adjust the sound, or as backup in case internal touchscreen fail!

Back
Top Bottom