IV anywhere on the horizon?

More/larger touchscreens = more fragile expensive components for me to break. I’ll take a device built like a tank with a less “visual” UI any day of the week. Personal preference, but I don’t believe the narrative that Fractal’s UI is inferior. It is different, but I appreciate the trade off of superior (imo) build quality vs more screens.
Touchscreens are not that fragile and there are plenty of different models. When you drop your phone, the thing that most often breaks is the glass on the screen rather than the display panel itself. Even that glass is more durable with each generation.

Built like a tank and "visual" UI are not mutually exclusive.

Touchscreens are not that fragile and there are plenty of different models. When you drop your phone, the thing that most often breaks is the glass on the screen rather than the display panel itself. Even that glass is more durable with each generation.

Thank you

They are expensive and certainly more fragile than smaller screens on a case with more metal. It’s just more easily damaged surface area in general. I’m not arguing that touchscreens are crazy fragile, just that they are more fragile than metal and the more surface area they cover, the easier it is to break them.

Aren't we all here for the tonez?

I'm far from a professional, but good live tone is a must.
Good tone alone isn't everything. We also want our preferred devices to work for our use cases and to be easy to use. But everything is a compromise in some way. For me Fractal's compromises are ok but I do wish they made their control systems (UI, MIDI knob controller support and more) better.

Good tone alone isn't everything. We also want our preferred devices to work for our use cases and to be easy to use. But everything is a compromise in some way. For me Fractal's compromises are ok but I do wish they made their control systems (UI, MIDI knob controller support and more) better.

Lol, isn't that obvious? I've been banging on the table for a touchscreen and improved UI. But it means nothing if the tone sucks. We are here for the tone 1st. It's certainly not for the UI.

Yes it can do quite everything but everytime you need to read a page before doing it . So you don’t do it. I ve never tested the performance mode after 2 years with the product, cause you have already 143 345 things to do before that . So that’s a UI problem. And I’m a geek. Imagine when you are not a geek .
With respect to this particular point, it's not a UI issue. Performance mode is simple to use, but like most things in the Axe-Fx, it requires a basic understanding of how to use it, and I would expect any unit with as many options and features as the Axe-Fx to have a learning curve. Are you suggesting there shouldn't be one? Any other unit that could do as much as the Axe-Fx does would have a comparable one, in my opinion. Can you name such a unit?

Last edited:
With respect to this particular point, it's not a UI issue. Performance mode is simple to use, but like most things in the Axe-Fx, it requires a basic understanding of how to use it, and I would expect a unit with as many options and features as the Axe-Fx to have a learning curve. Are you suggesting there shouldn't be one? Any other unit that could do as much as the Axe-Fx does would have a comparable one, in my opinion. Can you name such a unit?
It’s quite impossible with all the features to have easy controls of everything on a 3U rack panel. For this ok . But having all the basic amp and effects knobs on it 👍🏻
to me that’s a big point for the kemper. If you have used one amps and 5 pedals your whole life it’s easier to understand at first look. (Then the kemper is not so easy for the rest)

I remember the first time I just tried to edit a parameter or changing an amp with the front panel : It was a nightmare ! (and I have manipulate music products for more 25 years). You push logically “enter” in a block and it select it better than going into the parameters etc … then yes, when you know how it work you can use it. Every brands have his philosophy, Roland product are not easy to understand etc etc (thinking of their groove boxes)…

Yes. Just an amp front panel, 4/5 effects shortcuts with their physical controls, a joystick to navigate, and a enter button that enter (🙃), exit to go back, and that’s all . Touch screen ? Why not …

It’s quite impossible with all the features to have easy controls of everything on a 3U rack panel. For this ok . But having all the basic amp and effects knobs on it 👍🏻
to me that’s a big point for the kemper. If you have used one amps and 5 pedals your whole life it’s easier to understand at first look. (Then the kemper is not so easy for the rest)
I'm able to access any of the 20 user-assignable controls in Performance Mode using the front panel in less than 2 seconds from any screen by pressing Home and clicking the Page Right button once or twice(two times for the Global assigns). It's a lot more flexible than having fixed controls, though not quite as convenient as simply having more physical knobs.

Last edited:
I'm able to access any of the 20 user-assignable controls in Performance Mode using the front panel in less than 2 seconds from any screen by pressing Home and clicking the Page Right button once or twice(two times for the Global assigns). It's a lot more flexible than having fixed controls, though not quite as convenient as simply having more physical knobs.
There really should be a one button shortcut to access it from any view. I miss some of the dedicated buttons of the Axe-Fx 2.

Yes it can do quite everything but everytime you need to read a page before doing it . So you don’t do it. I ve never tested the performance mode after 2 years with the product, cause you have already 143 345 things to do before that . So that’s a UI problem. And I’m a geek. Imagine when you are not a geek .
That sounds more like grumpiness and laziness to RTFM rather than geekness ;)
6kpro1.jpg

BTW, sometimes you don't even need to RTFM. As an adventurous geek that I am, I had the courage of pressing the 'Perform" button without RTFM, and easy instructions magically appeared in front of me 🤓

1656064228573.png

Last edited:
Every modeller requires users to get their head around its nuances regardless of UI. Try experimenting with stereo fx in front of dual amps on a line6 modeller. Talk about anti- intuitive! 🙄 - even if you rtfm, you'll be scratching yur head for a while.

That sounds more like grumpiness and laziness to RTFM rather than geekness ;)
View attachment 103927

BTW, sometimes you don't even need to RTFM. As an adventurous geek that I am, I had the courage of pressing the 'Perform" button without RTFM, and easy instructions magically appeared in front of me 🤓

View attachment 103928
since we talked about it I’ve seen how it works yes. I don’t need it personally as I use it for home use only these time, But when gigs will restart I will surely do a performance page.

The discussion was about thing’s that can be improved in a 4. I just said that a friendly interface that talk to every musician, with the primary first, like the kemper have, must be one of the point that make them use it better than the axe. And leds around knobs is nice too when it’s dark

Every modeller requires users to get their head around its nuances regardless of UI. Try experimenting with stereo fx in front of dual amps on a line6 modeller. Talk about anti- intuitive! 🙄 - even if you rtfm, you'll be scratching yur head for a while.
Yes all the products needs time Since forever . korg and boss multi effect and multitracks , drum machines … a daw …a synth … everything .
But some products are more friendly than others . Many products and some plug-ins with a skeuomorphic interface are fun to learn with.
Personally I don’t have problems, I use axe edit and play the axe at home until I have it. But the hardware himself is not funny yes . I don’t want to spend time on it as it’s old school and unintuitive at first sight.
But to me that’s the sound that matters so. If one day we can Have both it will be a progress .

Back
Top Bottom