It's like a real amp!... but what's beyond that?

Rich G.

Experienced
There's a lot of emphasis here on comparing the AxeFX to a real tube amp. Cliff has spent a lot of time and effort on modelling the nuances of many different amps much to the rejoice of AxeFX users... but is amp modelling the real answer to what we seek? Maybe the sound within our heads is a nonexistent "amp". A fictional amp that has all the right knobs like Juice/Attack/Crunch/Raw instead of Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence. I often wonder if the path of amp modelling takes us down a road of "can't get there from here". Instead of amp modelling to 18 degrees of variable freedom, maybe the answer is neural network brain modelling that contains several hidden layers that somehow link our tonal desires to audio output via backpropagation.

Of course I'm philosophizing here... I'm just trying to think outside the box... WAY outside the box....

Thinking outside the box is good on Wednesdays. Outside of Wednesdays you need to be inside the box or Thursday on is a real mess.

Plugging into the brain is a great idea and I fully support it for Firmware V. 10.5. But, you would have to plug the jack in somewhere and then how do you exactly take the jack off?

I personally really like the conceptual names of Juice/Attack/Crunch/Raw. If you added more subtle advanced parameters like Money/Bitches/Slew and Crust we would definitely have some tone happening. And we could call the patches, "Aardvark Mayhem", or "Hamster Farm Massacre".

Whoa....sounds to me like you might have gotten way inside the BAG to make it that far outside the BOX. LOL Just kiddin', man. But on a serious note, your descriptions of names for parameters remind me of late 80s - early 90s A.R.T. preamps. Can't remember specific names for knobs/parameters that they had. But they were very similar to what you're talking about.

Thinking outside the box is good on Wednesdays. Outside of Wednesdays you need to be inside the box or Thursday on is a real mess.

Plugging into the brain is a great idea and I fully support it for Firmware V. 10.5. But, you would have to plug the jack in somewhere and then how do you exactly take the jack off?

I personally really like the conceptual names of Juice/Attack/Crunch/Raw. If you added more subtle advanced parameters like Money/Bitches/Slew and Crust we would definitely have some tone happening. And we could call the patches, "Aardvark Mayhem", or "Hamster Farm Massacre".

And on that note, I'm going to form a band called Aardvark Mayhem. The first album shall be called "Hamster Farm Massacre". No way this can fail. Hot damn...I'm gonna rule the world! LOL :)

Whoa....sounds to me like you might have gotten way inside the BAG to make it that far outside the BOX. LOL Just kiddin', man. But on a serious note, your descriptions of names for parameters remind me of late 80s - early 90s A.R.T. preamps. Can't remember specific names for knobs/parameters that they had. But they were very similar to what you're talking about.

Sansamp's PSA-1 had some cool names too, if I recall, things like Buzz, Punch and Crunch. I'd add: Aneuryismizer, Poon, Coot, Roach, Dementor, Tomentor, and the ever-popular Excrementor.

LOL at this thread's comments...

And seriously, it's actually kind of an interesting idea. Like controls that somehow combine certain parameters in ways that work well together... Your idea of a 'juice' knob could in theory boost drive, modify the dynamics, sag, and triode parameters, affect the emphasis of certain frequencies, do cool things w/ the B+, morph between tonestacks, etc, each in different ways that aren't necessarily linearly-related and would not exist in a real amp.

Of course, this already exists in some ways... like the way increasing the drive will also bring out different frequencies in various amps, or the way that modifying the eq knobs will affect the drive. But this approach could yield some really different and potentially interesting results...

<this has been a test and only a test. had this been a real amplifier, you would have been notified that it had been modelled already. we now return you to your regular programming...>

Cliff looks at Rich G. and says:

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. "

My brother, this is exactly what Cliff built the box for... Take the red pill.

I had to look it up... The EQ knobs on the ART SGX 2000 were Thrust, Growl, Warmth, Crunch and Edge... Went pretty well with that pink-splattered faceplate... :roll

What happens when the box you are thinking outside of is surrounded by other boxes?

Nope...
images
:mrgreen

There's a lot of emphasis here on comparing the AxeFX to a real tube amp. Cliff has spent a lot of time and effort on modelling the nuances of many different amps much to the rejoice of AxeFX users... but is amp modelling the real answer to what we seek? Maybe the sound within our heads is a nonexistent "amp". A fictional amp that has all the right knobs like Juice/Attack/Crunch/Raw instead of Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence. I often wonder if the path of amp modelling takes us down a road of "can't get there from here". Instead of amp modelling to 18 degrees of variable freedom, maybe the answer is neural network brain modelling that contains several hidden layers that somehow link our tonal desires to audio output via backpropagation.

Of course I'm philosophizing here... I'm just trying to think outside the box... WAY outside the box....

Actually, as far as I knew, Cliff wanted to create amps that could not exist in the tube amp world. I actually asked the same questions but, some of the people around here say the same shit and poke fun.

Whatever

... The EQ knobs on the ART SGX 2000 were Thrust, Growl, Warmth, Crunch and Edge... Went pretty well with that pink-splattered faceplate... :roll
That just shows how far you can go when you rename the tone controls. :)

As for parameters that can intelligently affect a tone you have in your head, we already have at least one: "pick attack."

Isn't this what "effects" are for?

Back
Top Bottom