It's Been Awhile, Def Leppard Cover VIDEO

Mark welcome back bud. Do you create your patches through your bx8's? I have the same ones and have had mixed results so is there a trick for what you put in is what you get out with these in regard to how they translate to live FRFR?

Some notes:

I see you've changed the way you do presets. Noticed that you don't use a drive block as much. A very good thing as i think it shows advancement in Firmware, and your adaptability to FAS changes.

Also, I will commend you as having an excellent talent for crafting presets. This one also screamed 'Separate Ways' to me too (so off I went.) Also, I'd been struggling a bit to find a tone off of that crazy live version of 'Dream on' that Aerosmith played at some award show YEARS ago (old folks remember that Michael Kamen (RIP) directed an orchestra, and they gave the crowd light sticks to pump forward during the 'dream on..' lyrical coda...) I dropped down the bass (as I always seem to have to do in your presets! Sounds good by itself...huge, but tends to invade too much the bass players sonic territory), took off the boost, and shazam! There it is! Articulation, POWER, without a huge amount of gain.

I look at your amp settings, and find that I need to think more 'out of the box' to get different tones. So Mark, you continue to show the way.

Thanks and very glad you're back!

Ron

Incidentally, I nailed this a bit back by using the 'Cameron' model...it got crispy and mean without too much doddling...but I like your delay settings better!

I'm glad someone else looked closely at the details of the pre set as Mark's are 99% always 'keepers'. Other note I saw were the amp was not the current firmware (try swapping it with another to hear the difference), much different eqing, a lot of bass while cranking the presence- interestingly it works for the Def Leppard tone.
Anyhow, us type A folks need some thing to occupy our time!

welcome to my home state, yaaa braaaa, wassuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, (thats how we talk of course), great as always, your presets are usually my skeleton from which I drop in other amps and cabs, great as always. I hope you update your original presets to fit the 5.04-7, they were quite destroyed by the updates.

MARCUS CALIFORNIUS HAS RETURNED!!!!!!

Love the vid as always, you and Pete Thorn are probably 90% responsible for my ever buying an Axe in the first place...

Hi Mark, glad you are enjoying your new home and all the best with your new opportunities.

As others have said, your videos and playing was a part of me buying this box and hearing this video is an infusion of inspiration again. If I could sound even close to that live I would be in heaven. I will continue to learn and work towards that thanks to the example you and others on here provide of what can be done.

Thanks

As usual Mark, you are a great tone ambassador, you just can't be beaten as far as 80's hard rock shredding tone is concern!! Keep on rocking man!!

Great as usual. Welcome back Mark! I hope you enjoy your Cali staying. I'll be there too in a couple of weeks or so...

Wow, Crank this patch up.......BEST Hi-gainer I have heard yet. I backed off some reverb and lowered bass a little, this is a keeper man.
Thanks Mark

Boy, are we all glad to see you again!

Great playing and thanks for sharing the patch, it sounds brilliant. I'll have a play with that tomorrow.

Cheers!

So not that I have time to play it through my rig and check out the patch, I really learned a lot. Here's just a few things I learned:

1. I was always using the Powerball model thinking that one would be the closest and that's the one I "should" use.
2. I love how you use the parallel lines of effects processing the patch to get a great overall sound that isn't muddled. That's something I have to look into more.
3. I see you included the room level which I have avoided like the plague. It may be useful to get that quick metallic delay to overlay other delays on top of.
4. You used a pretty extreme bass setting (for me) but the patch sounds great. I have to be ok with not keeping the dials always by 12 o'clock. USE YOUR EARS.
4. I learned to expand my horizons and thinking.

Thanks again and now I have a great patch as a starting point to use for Def Leppard. Now if you could just update your Journey patches :).

Last edited:
All of you guys are awesome thanks for the very kind responses!!! I will again answer these posts individually like they deserve but I'm still a little bit swamped but things are definitely coming together and I appreciate you guys posting!!!!!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom