Is There A Polyphonic Synth for AxeFx III?

Though they haven’t upgraded software in years, I have found MIDI Guitar 2 the best shot at integrating polyphonic synths with FAS gear without extra hardware (needing a computer or IPad of course).
www.jamorigin.com
They had a really horrible bug where they completely misinterpreted a min7b5 chord during their pitch to midi conversion. Not sure if that was ever fixed. I returned mine...

• Haha
Reactions: JTI
I don't believe that uses polyphonic pitch detection. I believe those products use waveform morphing.

Regardless of the method, it would be great to be able to manage this within the box. Even if it is not via the Synth block (perhaps a "Morphing" block would be more accurate)? A Boss SY-200 is currently the only external pedal I use besides a wireless and an expression pedal, so it would be great to remove that extra hardware. And the ability to combine it with other FX would allow for some incredible sounds.

Whatever Eventide have done via a software update, and Boss/EHX can do in a much less powerful pedal, I am sure Fractal can do at least as well!

There are some plugins that do it
For example MIDIGuitar
I do thing MidiGuitar is the best ever tool out there to use electric guitar as a midi controller/keyboard.(used/owned almost all out there like roland or axon)

But the conversation here goes deep into stuff like "pitch detection vs waveform morphing etc". I don't think its clear to anyone what technology these units or plugins use.

But the conversation here goes deep into stuff like "pitch detection vs waveform morphing etc". I don't think its clear to anyone what technology these units or plugins use.

I now realise polyphonic synth can mean multiple things, and in fact what I am asking about might not even be strictly speaking a synthesiser by most definitions, but rather some kind of advanced filter or other manipulation of the signal.

To be clear, and speaking only for myself, my wish would be for a block that takes normal guitar input, even if polyphonic, and generates an equivalent synthesiser-like sound. Particularly synth strings. The method used is not important for me.

Support for hex pickups, or generating midi data from normal pickups, are separate issues (again, speaking only for myself).

(just putting in a reminder word that I would like to see it respond to note messages to afford monophonic bass pedal controller support within the unit. thanks. :) )

I do thing MidiGuitar is the best ever tool out there to use electric guitar as a midi controller/keyboard.(used/owned almost all out there like roland or axon)

midiguitar doesn't handle tritones. This has been a bug in V1, 2 and now the 3 beta.

For example, Bm7b5, drop 3, root pos, with root on 6th string.
B A D F
This voicing will always make the low B into a Bb as soon as the F is sounded.

midiguitar doesn't handle tritones. This has been a bug in V1, 2 and now the 3 beta.

B A D F
did not now this, its been also some time, i don’t bother with guitar to midi stuff. thx for sharing though.

B A D F
Hmm. Maybe they're associated with the Catholic Church. ;)

Is there any modeler that has a polyphonic synth? Polyphonic pitch detection with low-latency and without a hexaphonic pickup is nearly impossible at consumer prices.
This has my wheels spinning……how about at NOT consumer prices? If I can have a desert island, all in modeler, what more would I get for say 4X the price? Let’s say…..10k? Not so far fetched. An Eventide H9000 is 8k. I’m sure they wouldn’t fly off the shelves but it would literally be the only game in town for a truly unmatched premium modeler/fx unit/interface with no competition in its price point.

Is there any modeler that has a polyphonic synth? Polyphonic pitch detection with low-latency and without a hexaphonic pickup is nearly impossible at consumer prices.
Not a modeler device, but rather a plugin, Midi Guitar 2 converts an ordinary guitar pickup's output into MIDI data. Latency isn't bad. Example:

Not a modeler device, but rather a plugin, Midi Guitar 2 converts an ordinary guitar pickup's output into MIDI data. Latency isn't bad. Example:

as i mentioned several times. Play a Bm7b5 B A D F. As soon as you play the F, midi guitar 2 (and 3) lowers the B to a Bb...It doesn't handle tritones sadly. Otherwise it's a great product.

Sounds like a BAD F*ing voicing!
It happens with other chord that have a tritone in it. So no lydian chords, no dim chords, no half diminished chords
Tritones are always a bugbear. It's a very dissonant interval and quite difficult to extract the frequency information. It's one of my tests for pitch shifting.
Yeah, i can see that. Boss does better with their SY products.

Back
Top Bottom