Is the FM3 reliable to you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I figured it was a firmware issue and knew it would be fixed in an upcoming revision. I knew it had to do with tuner mode after the second time and just rebooted and it was good for the rest of the show. I always carry a backup in case I have problems that I cant resolve. In fact I just got back from a gig with it. Sounded amazing using the 5150 50W Blue model.

I had one problem with my first unit which was one of the very first headphone units. It had the squealing feedback with the volume up and high gain amps. Fractal repaired it for me under warranty and had no problems from that point on. Then I had sold that unit, bought a second, and have been using for several months again with no problems.

I would consider it reliable and would gig with it no problem.

I've had 2 FM3 units and no issues with either, the first pre-headphone unit had crackling when recording but the very next update fixed that.

I froze mine once when I just got the unit, during a stress test where I maxed the CPU and fooled around with the pitch block. Otherwise smooth sailing for several hours almost every day, since October. So yeah, it's reliable.

Nah. I figured it was a firmware issue and knew it would be fixed in an upcoming revision. I knew it had to do with tuner mode after the second time and just rebooted and it was good for the rest of the show. I always carry a backup in case I have problems that I cant resolve. In fact I just got back from a gig with it. Sounded amazing using the 5150 50W Blue model.
I read here that Tuner Mode just accelerated the issue (freezing foot switches and scribble strips), they still working on the fix.

Never a problem with the FM 3 after at least 50 gigs with it. Never a problem with the Axe FX III after countless gigs with it. Never a problem with the Axe FX II after even more gigs with that.
I had one problem with my FC12 which was handled at warp speed by support.

If a unit freezes over and over and over, then there's something wrong and support will handle/replace. Fast.

That's my experience. And yes, I would say they're super-reliable.

As much as I love this pedal and want continue on falling in love with it , it is scary to rely on it in a live situation . let me explain this is my second unit , the first One started running really loud then would not connect to the computer no matter what I sent it to FAS and they replaced it with a new one . Since I got it I barely connected as I was not playing music . I only made sure this one didn’t have the same problem . Now i am about to join a band I thought I’d set it up for live performance. All of a sudden this thing would have a white screen if connected to my Mac when I turn It off Even if it is off once I connect the usb to it you see it sort of flickering with that white screen started whilstIng ... loud fan noise like overload computer . now I really don’t have the time to keep on paying to send the unit back to Fas and now i am definitely not sure I will ever get one that is solid enough .
I share your concerns. I had my FM3 for about 4 months and then experienced a problem with the rotary value knob that made it unusable. I sent it to FAS for warranty repair (I paid shipping to them.) It was a quick turnaround and so far (2 months) I've not had another problem. There seems to be a lot of folks with flawless experiences, so I like to think the issues a few of us have had are just bumps in the road of a new product release and are getting sorted out. But, only time will tell.

Play at home and only connect to computer for upgrades and some preset downloads. It freezes up on a regular basis. I've learned if I wait about a minute it will unfreeze, but before I would shut it off and back on. To be honest I would not feel comfortable gigging with my unit if I was a working musician. Otherwise I love it.

Mine works great after a few updates.....

My buddy who is only satisfied with real amps live...........
.....finally just got one and really digs the tone.....footswitches do nothing! :oops:

Told him to get a ticket in and hopefully the next one will be a hit.

I have at least 50 FM3 gigs so far. Zero problems. Based on my experience touring internationally with Fractal gear, I have nothing to report in terms of concerns. I carried a backup rig (Line6 M9) for about two years in a briefcase, but eventually sold it. I'm just a regular touring musician, but my FAS gear has been 100% reliable, and I haven't had a problem.
I did a google search of your name and came up with just the Fractal stuff. There's a website I found, but doesn't load (at least not here in EU. For an internationally touring musician I would think I could find something on you...not questioning what you said, but just the facts that came up. 50 gigs during a pandemic (because the FM3 seems to have been out through this entire pandemic thing), is quite a feat and more than most on this forum. I have many friends in the US (and most actually own Fractal gear) and haven't played that many gigs since 2019, and a few tour throughout the US and EU, even now...even they say they would be concerned with using the FM3 live, and would use their Axe III's instead.

Mine works great after a few updates.....

My buddy who is only satisfied with real amps live...........
.....finally just got one and really digs the tone.....footswitches do nothing! :oops:

Told him to get a ticket in and hopefully the next one will be a hit.
I just read a post on another thread that they had to factory reset the FM3...try that, OR, have him load someone else's preset and try the footswitches.

Thanks mtripp,

I had him reload 3.02 and he said it didn't change anything. I'll have him try the reset as it seems it would be something like that.
Unfortunately he lives on the other end of the cities or I would have checked it out myself. :(

I love the FM3. I’ve had mine since September and haven’t any of the issues that I’ve read some people complain about. However, last week I had the freeze issue with 3.02 (wasnt using tuner mode). I’m not playing live now but that would’ve killed my confidence in the unit if it happened during a performance.

I’m not too concerned with Cygnus, drive blocks, etc. - it sounds amazing as-is. Let’s hope the freeze thing gets nailed down and resolved.

Thanks mtripp,

I had him reload 3.02 and he said it didn't change anything. I'll have him try the reset as it seems it would be something like that.
Unfortunately he lives on the other end of the cities or I would have checked it out myself. :(

When I got my FM3 a few days ago, the switches did nothing and seemed totally “dead,” with blank scribble strips. I searched around and then tried resetting the switches, not a full reset but just the switches, and that seemed to wake them up and make them active.

I got an FM3 June 26th last year. I've used it daily for at least 3 hours, and many times I leave it on for several days at a time while connected to win 7 laptop and FM3 edit running.

Some 20+ full band 4 hour rehearsals.

Quite a few live streams

I'm satisfied its reliable.

Yes ...he contacted support and reset the switches but still not functioning normal....

He'll get it sorted out with Fractals awesome support system!

I did a google search of your name and came up with just the Fractal stuff. There's a website I found, but doesn't load (at least not here in EU. For an internationally touring musician I would think I could find something on you...not questioning what you said, but just the facts that came up. 50 gigs during a pandemic (because the FM3 seems to have been out through this entire pandemic thing), is quite a feat and more than most on this forum. I have many friends in the US (and most actually own Fractal gear) and haven't played that many gigs since 2019, and a few tour throughout the US and EU, even now...even they say they would be concerned with using the FM3 live, and would use their Axe III's instead.
No worries. I never take offense when asked to verify my credentials.

I understand your skepticism. My online presence (http://www.johnhendow.com) is focused on technology and management, more so than on music. I teach and record using my business name rather than my own personal name. For the first several years on this forum, I used "Sleestak" as my alias, and only decided to add my actual name for transparency because I am also a Fractal Audio Systems facebook page admin.

I play in three bands:

http://bowievision.com
http://1uppers.com
http://www.dudleymanlove.com

Before the pandemic shut us down, I was playing about ten shows a month with these bands. Like everyone else, I've been quarantined at home for a year. I use the AxeFX III for BowieVision, and the FM3 for the other two bands. I also did a number of (sometimes international) fly dates as a solo musician, and those were FM3 gigs. But we can leave those out.

Just looking at the pre-pandemic year: 10 shows a month x 1 year = 120 shows. Let's assume 1/3 of those were AxeFX III gigs, which leaves us with 80. Even if my math is off by 50%, that still over 50 shows.

I'm not famous, but I play regularly. I haven't had problems with any of the Fractal gear. That isn't to say that it's impossible for that to occur. My assertion is that I've taken my equipment for some adventures and it hasn't ever failed me :)

I would be interested in hearing from people who have experienced reliability concerns; not to dispute those reports, I really want to know and understand. I have obviously had the AxeFX III for a longer time than the FM3. My assumption is that the same level of rigor and testing is applicable to all Fractal products, but again, it's certainly possible for any piece of equipment to fail. One of my guitars is positively cursed, and seems to find new ways to fail almost every week. I leave it at home now. Great guitar, but apparently gremlin-infested.

"I'm not famous, but I play regularly. I haven't had problems with any of the Fractal gear."

Couldn't have said it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom