Is anyone else as blown away by 4.0 as I am?

Too busy playing, gigging and living life to post about it. LOL.

I've been posting plenty, but I've been playing plenty more.

4.0 rocks.

Yeah I don't play or gig at 7am on a Saturday over coffee hence my post LOL. Wouldn't be much of a forum if people were too busy to post!

I definitely agree FW 4.0 is great. I finished a patch with the new 6160 into the stock v30 cab and Sure SM57 into the new tape delay into a medium plate verb. I am getting a clear crunch that is very open with gain on 2 and master at around 3. Definitely the best tone by far. I almost freak when i hear it. I did add a filter in the beginning of the chain with an OD and an EQ after the cab to dial it in. Added a little Wow and flutter as well. The sound is very 3D, huge in the room. CPU is running in the 80s. Sounds like stadium rock. Anyway, i am going back to play!

I assume that you need at least 12" FRFR speakers to be happy with it as i couldn't tweak any killer tone yet that would make me happy ( i was Ultra owner before and on the headphones i can hardly notice any difference between them) i dont remeber how I've tweaked my sound on Ultra but i was happy with it especially on the High Gain stuff but with II its not as good as expected any help?

Still prefer 3.04. I'm starting to think the Axe-FX should change its name to the Scratch-FX because every firmware update I have to start again from scratch with all my patches. Like the rabbit in the song Breathe, after finishing the hole, I have to start digging another one.

Took me maybe 20 minutes to set my favorite 10 amp presets to default and dial them in again.
Just turning some knobs, like on a "real" amp. I don't touch the adv. params, no EQ-ing. No need to change cabs or other stuff.
Very pleased with the results, as always.
4.x is great, as is 3.x, as is 2.x, as is 1.x.

I think it is killer. Been screwing around with what I know already and was thinking about ditting down with the new editor and trying out a few new amps. But, so far, The HBE is just crushing.

First time my Bose L1's actually sound decent! Which I'm obviously psyched about because the price tag surrounding them.

I'm with Yek... each firmware has always been an excellent upgrade, but 4.0 was a moment of HOLY CRAP......YES!!! lol

Your patches were always good on Ultra as far as I remeber... you are tallented person who knows how this works. I'm deppersed and I'm constantly thinking about buying FRFR system to find the holy grail in it so far no luck ;/(its even recomended by one of my good mates).

Last edited:
Yes! to me firmware 4.0 is for the Axefx II like firmware 11 was for the Axefx 1. It just kills.

I'm getting the most out of the upgrade for the high gain stuff by using Mark Day's patch as a starting point, adding a TS808 pedal as a boost, and then tweaking a few things. That extra EQ block just adds this unbelievable grind. I have a great Metallica Black Album tone and I'm not even using an EMG-81. :)

Agreed, 4.1 is absolutely fantastically great....Loving the openness, the girth, and the ease of getting a great tone now....Many, many thanks Cliff!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!!! I made ZERO progress in the studio last night. I could not stop wanking!!!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Good monitors are a true advantage but i can help but think with the upgrades that it is essential. I have gone back to keeping the patches very simple with a minimalist approach. The upgrade from 3 to 4 allows less messing and tweaking. I tend to tweek slightly the advanced parameters and EQ but very little. I usually keep a TS808 with level on 10 a with no drive out front and use very little gain in the 1.5 to 3.5 range on the the amp drive. Master volume is usually set to taste and usually notched back when the amp gets brittle and flubby.

I think Cliff nailed it with the recent tutorial on the amp/cab resonance tutorial which helps brink the natural character of the amp out and minimizes much of the EQ tweeks i use to make which were detracting from the amps main tone. Overall the upgrade to 4 is without a doubt a huge step in the right direction and i am sure folks that maybe struggling will find it!

Did a show last night with 4.01 and I've never been so satisfied with my live sound and the feel of the II...I generally use a lot of power amp in my presets an was reveling in my 1987x 'plexi' Marshall tone all night...it felt sooooooooooo right. Not to mention my Vibroverb preset for use with single coils was making me go yesssssssssss, this is 'it'...

I love 4.0....big time.

Loving it. More open and in your face at the same time. More 3D if you will.

I wouldn't be as happy if I had a large collection of patches to tweak. I only have a few specialty patches that were different enough from the presets but had to spend some time tweaking them to bring them back in line.

Back
Top Bottom