IR Present for You

If we talking accuracy, added informations how to tweak the speaker page for IRs of individual Speaker Cabinets would help a giant step better. This is and remain (because by design of a modeller) the missing piece of the puzzle, which can`t be closed automatically, but manually by knowing the behavior of an actual cabinet.

So, the missing piece could only be closed, if we get the needed speaker tab informations of the captured cabinets. IMHO.

I am not an expert on IRs, but this comment makes a lot of sense to me. I do get great results adjusting the speaker page parameters by ear; but it would be great to have a "starting point" for each speaker-cab combination.

I am not an expert on IRs, but this comment makes a lot of sense to me. I do get great results adjusting the speaker page parameters by ear; but it would be great to have a "starting point" for each speaker-cab combination.

I would agree with this too. Best way (IMO) is to offer the ability to "tag" the IR files so that the supplier of the IR has the ability to put in the relevant information. You can then load the IR and the AxeFX will read the tag and automatically populate the speaker page with those values. Having said that, the ideal values are already there (if you're using the typical cabs that go with these amps). I would also say that the 4x12 stuff is all within the same ball park. It's the 2x12s and 1x12s that would seem like they could vary widely.

Best way (IMO) is to offer the ability to "tag" the IR files so that the supplier of the IR has the ability to put in the relevant information.
Yes, this is the answer if it were to be automated... the cab IR would have metadata attached at the time of generation, this data, if present, would modify the speaker controls @ load time provided they were not manually set. For IRs without metadata, it would just leave it alone. The axe's IR format is proprietary, not a straight wav file.

This IR is great with many of the Amps that I could not bond with before, like the Thorendal or Liverpool.

It is smooth, for lack of a better term, and easy to coax great sounds from a variety of amps with this IR.

This makes me really anticipate how good the new cab pack is going to be.

Thanks Cliff!

Yes, this is the answer if it were to be automated... the cab IR would have metadata attached at the time of generation, this data, if present, would modify the speaker controls @ load time provided they were not manually set. For IRs without metadata, it would just leave it alone. The axe's IR format is proprietary, not a straight wav file.
Been trying to crack that nut on my own using hacks and it is kind of clunky, but the potential is great IMHO. File name alone is just too limiting. I have ideas of how I think it should function, but zero programming skills. I should enlist the help of my son on this one.

Finally tried out this IR. One of the best so far.

I've used Cliff's 'trick' to shape the tone via the speaker, and it works great. It can take the 'boxy' out of a speaker and tame or define low/high end. It would be nice to get some specs on how to do this (based off of speaker type), but that might be a bit of a stretch to think Fractal has the time to do it. I think it's also highly amp dependent, so it will take experimentation to get it right each time.

The resistance of the speaker cable is NOT negligible.

Sure, it's approx. 0.002Ohms per meter (3ft) on a 2x2.5mm2 diameter good quality speaker cable. Compared to the speaker load and the output impedance of a solid state power amp, there is not much influence by the cable. The bigger influence goes by the fact when speakers in a 4x12 cabinet are wired in series instead of parallel. This changes the impedance curve dramatically and influences the saturation behavior of a tube amp - and you'll notice a slight difference when checking the impedance curve on a solid state power amp (with high damping factor). I guess this is the main reason for the difference of your Wizard vs. D120 plots.

Which brings me to another point: Cliff, please check out ARTA LABs signal analysis software..... ARTA Software - gives you much better frequency plots you can share with all the tech geeks out there. It's highly recommended - and not expensive.....

I don´t know if it´s the 25W Speaker or the Quality of the IR´s - but it sounds really good with the 50W High Marshall, also with Highgain Solosounds - less deep/Bass, an very "open" Sound.
Thanks a lot - an looking Forward to this Cabpack.............

Here's a mixed IR from our recent session. This is four mics mixed from an old Marshall 4x12 with Pre-Rola 25W Greenbacks.

Mark I/II: www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/4x12 Pre-Rola Mix.syx
XL: www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/4x12 Pre-Rola Mix_XL.syx

These mixes were made using a beta version of Cab-Lab Live and include "reference compensation" which removes any frequency response nonlinearities introduced by the power amp.

This cab pack is one of the best yet IMO. A real jewel in the pack is the Vox Beatle cab that was used to record "My Sharona".

So the "Reference Compensation" feature can be applied to all of our old personal IRs if we run them through the new cab-lab?

Sure, it's approx. 0.002Ohms per meter (3ft) on a 2x2.5mm2 diameter good quality speaker cable. Compared to the speaker load and the output impedance of a solid state power amp, there is not much influence by the cable. The bigger influence goes by the fact when speakers in a 4x12 cabinet are wired in series instead of parallel. This changes the impedance curve dramatically and influences the saturation behavior of a tube amp - and you'll notice a slight difference when checking the impedance curve on a solid state power amp (with high damping factor). I guess this is the main reason for the difference of your Wizard vs. D120 plots.

Which brings me to another point: Cliff, please check out ARTA LABs signal analysis software..... ARTA Software - gives you much better frequency plots you can share with all the tech geeks out there. It's highly recommended - and not expensive.....

Nope. A 16 gauge wire is 0.013 ohms per meter. Additionally you need to include the resistance of the other conductor. For a two meter cable this is 0.052 ohms total round-trip resistance.

If your amplifier has a damping factor of 1000 and the cabinet is 4 ohms this short cable reduces the damping factor of your amplifier to less than 80!

Finally got around to loading this up and giving it a whirl.

It's noice. ;)

Its got bigness without the boominess that I end up with a lot of times trying to get this kind of thing going on. It still has some chime to it to which helps cut. Not really sure what it would look like on a graph, but it seems to emphasize the good stuff.

Is it possible to load this cab from PC to Axe using Axe edit? I'm trying some things now but i'm getting a 'scan' mode, it competes quickly, and that's all i get... Or do cabs load some other way entirely? :shame::excitement: I'm looking in Axe manage Cabs, i see 28 cabs in Axe Manage Cabs, i see 'browser' - I select 'open directory' - i choose folder that Cliff's IR is in, press OK, ... says it found nine IRs, then exits. I didn't get a screen of the 9 IRs to select them... What am i missing? :wink-new: sorry if it's obvious. :very_drunk:

Last edited:
Is it possible to load this cab from PC to Axe using Axe edit? I'm trying some things now but i'm getting a 'scan' mode, it competes quickly, and that's all i get... Or do cabs load some other way entirely? :shame::excitement:

Yes. Use Axe-Manage cabs and find an empty user spot and right click to import. Find the cab on your pc and you are good to go. You can then load it into the cab spot you have on any preset.

Thanks Fractal for the awesome cabs. Both "Early Christmas Cabs" are heavy in the cab rotation right out of the gate..... :)

Back
Top Bottom