Iphone 7 Killing the Headphone Jack

mgavin

Experienced
I'm surprised no one has posted about this here yet, So I'm curious what my audiophile friends here think about this. Can wireless and digital technology really be better than analog? I'm having a hard time believing this... why fix something that isn't broke? I also read some proponents of this technology saying something like, this can lead to compressed high definition audio.... that doesn't even make sense to me. ha! anyways wondering what y'all and cliff think of this "progress."

curiously yours, MG

:sleeping: :innocent:
Really ?!

What can someone say to convince you here.... Yes ?
The least AD conversion the less signal loss, imho...

Anyway I use bluetooth with my phone, yes maybe a compression here, but where i use my phone (mostly mobil :) ) i can't notice a difference with my old big ears.

i hate running music for performance off my TELEPHONE. so many people forget to turn on DND mode or put alerts on silent, etc. i've heard way too many embarrassing things happen during performances. i agree that for a computer and mobile phone, a 1/8" jack that only plays audio should be scrapped.

for a standard music player like an iPod or other dedicated music player, of course the jack should stay since it is primarily a music player.

i'm sure to many, the 1/4" jack was a necessity, and i hate the dongle route that it's all going. but this really does force people to think forward about how to get audio from our phones to our ears. bluetooth is so bad today... because we have the fall-back of wires. maybe now this puts some pressure on wireless developers to do even better.

Alienate everyone using headphones on a daily basis. Walk down the aisle in Office Depot there are thousands of pairs of headphones with an 1/8 th jack. Can do this in any store. Horrible idea. Jobs is turning over in his grave. Will be keeping my 6 until it dies, then back to my shuffle.

The video I just saw clearly shows that although the headphone jack itself is gone there is a simple work around, you simply plug in the (supplied) converter wire into the utility jack on the bottom of the phone and you've got your headphone jack back.

Eh. Anyone who's been following iPhone development has known it wouldn't have a headphone jack for months. The real issue is that, at this point, there is no cable that will let you charge the phone while simultaneously using the converter for a headphone cable. Personally, I don't care since I've been using nothing but bluetooth headphones and speakers withe my iPhone 6s since about 1 month after I got it last fall.
-
Austin

so another dongle you can loose... or forget to bring. I prefer wired to bluetooth headphones as it sounds better to me. Same with bluetooth audio in the car not as good as the sd card in the dash. here's to my 6 lasting forever lol.

It was bound to happen. My initial reaction was negative, but it just makes sense I guess.. Especially if the sound quality on those wireless earbuds are on par with a wired set.

The important thing to remember here is that it's just a phone..

Don't let the things you own end up owning you.

Plus, I'm sure that those 1/8" adapters will soon be available everywhere for $9.99

I've auditioned a number of Bluetooth audio systems (headphones and speakers) - what stood out to me was they all sounded so different! Most sounded like crap. Just took the fun out of the music.
I guess headphones for iphones will just have the little Apple plug, and name brands will have an adapter or cable specifically for iPhones.

Thanks
Pauly

We should probably all get rid of 1/4" guitar cables while we are at it, it's antiquated century old technology as well.

Exactly! And what's up with the battery compartment for active electronics?! New adapter should charge an internal battery whenever it's plugged in. Don't worry the battery is no longer field replaceable, you can just ship your guitar in every few years to have it replaced when it no longer holds a charge :D

Anyone who doesn't like it should brace themselves. Given how copycat the industry is, if the iPhone7 does well (and I imagine it will, especially since sales should be bolstered by the "exploding" Note 7's), no phone that is announced out a year from now will have a headphone jack.
-
Austin

Anyone who doesn't like it should brace themselves. Given how copycat the industry is, if the iPhone7 does well (and I imagine it will, especially since sales should be bolstered by the "exploding" Note 7's), no phone that is announced out a year from now will have a headphone jack.
-
Austin
remember VHS, CD, Cassette , DVD-ROM? Time, technology and obsolecence (sometimes planned) marches on.

Last edited:
I have to weigh in. I use Bluetooth in my car and I also use lg tones (which are Bluetooth).

I don't notice a huge difference honestly. Plus, they'll have a second speaker on the phone which should substantially, improve audio quality.

I have used my head phone jack in a long time.

To the headphone jack: don't let the door hit you on the way out.

In NYC, I tried to use bluetooth headphones. The amount of interference was incredible. I went back to wired pretty quickly.

The benefit was that I only needed about battery life in the phone and not have to worry about how much battery charge is left in a pair of headphones too.

I know there's wired backup battery boosters you can hook up to both both a phone and bluetooth headsets to increase the hours of usage, but then you are back on a wired interface anyways.

-
Austin

I wouldn't bet on this just yet. Wireless headsets have been around for many years, yet the overwhelming majority of people still use wired headsets. Wired buds are cheap, there's a huge variety of fits and styles, and they don't have to be charged. When they figure out how to wirelessly power the headset and keep the price down, then they will replaced wired units.

We should probably all get rid of 1/4" guitar cables while we are at it, it's antiquated century old technology as well.
But that is real audio gear you are talking about. The iPhone 7 is a computer and phone that isn't intended as a primary audio function.

All the comments on how bad Bluetooth is goes to show that it needs this sort of push to really be improved.

Back
Top Bottom