Iphone 7 Killing the Headphone Jack

I wouldn't bet on this just yet. Wireless headsets have been around for many years, yet the overwhelming majority of people still use wired headsets. Wired buds are cheap, there's a huge variety of fits and styles, and they don't have to be charged. When they figure out how to wirelessly power the headset and keep the price down, then they will replaced wired units.
Agree with this.

In the meantime they are certainly alienating themselves. Removing a feature is always risky, but sometimes has benefit when it means a smaller/lighter device or offers some other improvement in it's place.
Removing the headphone jack IMO only has downsides....what is the upside? (it's not waterproof, it's water resistant...just like many other phones). This has me puzzled.

The iPhone 7 is a computer and phone that isn't intended as a primary audio function.

Then why does it come with headphones?

And IMO, it doesn't matter if it's primary use was intended or not intended to be audio....what is the benefit of removing a feature like this?

I think it's just a move to get people to buy more crap. The arguments I've seen from Intel and Apple have zero to do with audio fidelity. I think this is solely a move to benefit Apple's bank account. People will have to buy adapters and headphones that have Apple's proprietary W1 chip (hooray for DRM!).

If they really wanted to prove that they are providing a better audio experience that has real benefits, I think they've failed spectacularly.

And the whole it took "courage" thing really rubs me the wrong way.

Then why does it come with headphones?

And IMO, it doesn't matter if it's primary use was intended or not intended to be audio....what is the benefit of removing a feature like this?
To Apple, the Audio jack is a one-trick pony, and they want the components to be as multi-purpose as possible. People also want the phone to be water proof, and a gaping hole that you can't even use during swimming seems like the thing to get rid of. Yeah it's not water proof yet, and sure maybe a plug could have been developed. But it does make sense from a certain stand point. I mean in all the future movies we see, do their phones and tablets have a headphone jack? Probably not ;)

It's obviously a one-trick that many people like and use, however. So they provide the closest equivalent probably as a transition piece. I'd guess this and the next phone will include it, then we might not see the wired headphones after that.

I have no doubt we are going to see lightning versions of our favorite headphones over the next year. Aside from charging and having to purchase new, that would remedy the situation somewhat. I bet the next line of MacBooks have lightning ports on it in addition to USB-C. Well, nah maybe another dongle instead, yuck.

-- was it actually said that they did this to improve quality? I thought the main reason was to change the design from the old standard.

To Apple, the Audio jack is a one-trick pony, and they want the components to be as multi-purpose as possible. People also want the phone to be water proof, and a gaping hole that you can't even use during swimming seems like the thing to get rid of. Yeah it's not water proof yet, and sure maybe a plug could have been developed. But it does make sense from a certain stand point. I mean in all the future movies we see, do their phones and tablets have a headphone jack? Probably not ;)

It's obviously a one-trick that many people like and use, however. So they provide the closest equivalent probably as a transition piece. I'd guess this and the next phone will include it, then we might not see the wired headphones after that.

I have no doubt we are going to see lightning versions of our favorite headphones over the next year. Aside from charging and having to purchase new, that would remedy the situation somewhat. I bet the next line of MacBooks have lightning ports on it in addition to USB-C. Well, nah maybe another dongle instead, yuck.

-- was it actually said that they did this to improve quality? I thought the main reason was to change the design from the old standard.
yes, early reports are the new included lightning buds sound real good, as do the im-sure-wont-fit-my -weird-ears wireless apple Airbuds

Last edited:
But that is real audio gear you are talking about. The iPhone 7 is a computer and phone that isn't intended as a primary audio function.

Regardless of intent it has to be taken seriously as an audio delivery system due to the majority of music being listened to now days being delivered on these types of systems. I've seen the joke and it's true. $20,000.00 worth of music rig played thru a $100,000.00 recording chain to be delivered on $12.00 earbuds in a .99 cent mp3.

I think the wireless is a horrible decision if it's the only option. I love wireless working in the yard so the wheelbarrow doesn't yank my eardrums out but this last series of iphone earbuds fits like crap in my ears. Can't count the number of times the fact they had a cable was what kept me from crawling on my hands and knees looking for them when they fell out.

AFAIC it's the same as replacing the racing tires on an F1 car with bicycle tires because they are more aerodynamic. As time has proven MANY times before not all 'advancments' are really that. Just who is it that really needs a waterproof phone anyway? I for one do not shower with my phone.

Can't count the number of times the fact they had a cable was what kept me from crawling on my hands and knees looking for them when they fell out.

This! Apple is going to make a fortune selling replacement AirPods when people inevitably lose one. I would tether them together like the behind the neck varieties.

AFAIC it's the same as replacing the racing tires on an F1 car with bicycle tires because they are more aerodynamic. As time has proven MANY times before not all 'advancments' are really that. Just who is it that really needs a waterproof phone anyway? I for one do not shower with my phone.
Water proof is one of the biggest requests for digital devices. More for accidental drops in water than actual swimming etc.

Heck a huge request for the AX8 was to make it water proof.

Well, I was upset at first ... but wow, I didn't realize people made lightning headphones! Those JBL ones they showcased look awesome! I could imagine the possibility of better quality of sound, but even better, the ability to provide noise cancelling without the use of an external battery.

I'm happy to just know about that, and I plan on switching to that even though I'm not going to upgrade yet (and thus won't be losing the audio jack yet).

Guardian's of the Galaxy is a future movie.....and he's listening to music through a Walkman with a Cassette. I'm going that route!
I can watch that movie over and over....Best soundtrack ever. (CHCHCHCHCHCH Cherry Bomb!)

I think it's just a move to get people to buy more crap. The arguments I've seen from Intel and Apple have zero to do with audio fidelity. I think this is solely a move to benefit Apple's bank account. People will have to buy adapters and headphones that have Apple's proprietary W1 chip (hooray for DRM!).

If they really wanted to prove that they are providing a better audio experience that has real benefits, I think they've failed spectacularly.

And the whole it took "courage" thing really rubs me the wrong way.
Bingo, this is just a heavy handed way of getting people to either drop 40 on another stupid dongle (re: one trick pony) or drop 100 some odd dollars on their dumb looking pea-sized headphones. I'll stick with my galaxy and audio technicas tyvm...

Bingo, this is just a heavy handed way of getting people to either drop 40 on another stupid dongle (re: one trick pony) or drop 100 some odd dollars on their dumb looking pea-sized headphones. I'll stick with my galaxy and audio technicas tyvm...
but it comes free with the lightning to 1/8" adaptor. nothing more to buy.

People are always upset when things change and can't understand why they would change the 30 pin adapter to the lightning "just to make money", or now changing from having no earplug adapter. I truly believe that they are striving to make the best that they possibly can and it's just that they (Apple) have little regards for legacy things and are happy to push the envelope further than pretty much any other company in the process. That's why they where the first with a floppy, first without a floppy, and so on all the way now with no earplug adapter. And same as when Apple changed the 30 pin adapter for lightning, we're going to see heaps of companies jumping onboard and now create lightning headphones. And given the outstanding quality of my Blue MoFi powered headphones I'm hoping that they or someone else is going to build active type headphones that's now practical because they can power the headphones from the lightning cable. In a couple of years no one will really care because we will have much better sounding lightning headphones and much more practical and decent enough sounding bluetooth headphones available to us. It's a bit annoying in the transition but in the long run I think it's just going to get better.

Back
Top Bottom