Interesting review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching someone without a firm grasp and experience with something tell me 'indepth' about it - and anything as deep as this box doesn't deserve any time or attention. That's what he is seeking btw.. Views = money. Controversy = views. Not hard to figure out.

Bingo Scott! +1000.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion... guess the only real question i have after watching that is.. why doesnt it say where it's made? :) i think my ultra did.

:) I think that it will become a funny thread as this video is for all people having a good knowledge of the Axe-Fx world. I'm agree with scott, but i'm agree too with a few points of the video. I think for a long time that cliff has an "Auvergnat" gene. The Mesa Boogie is spot on for me. I wonder how he amplified the Axe?

Last edited:
I wondered if someone was going to make a topic about this. Someone needs to do a review of his review and point out like the 100 things he said that were incorrect.

First off he opens up the box and tries to act like he knows electronics and how much the box should cost. "Oh yeah some capacitors here, a power supply there, some surface mount components there, $150 bucks tops." What an idiot. When he says "Xilinx Sparta" and it is obvious he has no idea what it is, that is all you need to know. If he wanted to do a detailed assembly review he would have made a parts list for which to get quotes for and then presented the price.

He then makes it sound like because it doesn't cost $2k to build based on parts alone, that it was grossly overpriced. I guess he doesn't understand that you are paying for the software that runs on the box more than you are the hardware. I am sure Fractal makes good money on their product, but that is what they are in business to do. You are paying for years of R&D, assembly labor, testing, support, and future firmware upgrades along with the "parts" in the box.

In the second video it looks like he has the power amp and cabinet sims on while running through another tube amp on the clean channel and guitar cabinet. Doh! He should have a solid state flat response amp like the Matrix powering the cabinet with the cabinet sims turned off. He then should have played the "real" amp first through the cab and then try to get the same general tonal balance on the amp sim by tweaking the EQ. Which is the same way Cliff tests the amps. Now that is a review that I would like to watch.

If somebody would have done this review that had detailed knowledge of how the box worked and how basic electronics worked then the video would have been solid. But this video is horrible.

Last edited:
I don't think he was ever going to like the Axe II/MFC and I also think he knew that long before buying it. Its like he'd already decided what his opinion would be before he bought it, but then he actually shelled out £2700 so that he could justify it.
It's really very weird that someone would do that.

It says right on the packaging materials: Made in USA.
From what I can see in the video, it says designed in USA. Isn't that something else?
Or is it the same thing meaning its tought of,or the idea of it was made in USA but it could be produced around the world?
Could it be that only the cardboardbox is designed in USA? hehe, I would assume it is common to have
the "made in..." stamped right on the product, but I do not know what the rules are.
I see now that it does not say on my mobilephone as well (i'm not checking behind the battery), but i'm sure it does on the box.
Pretty sure it says behind the battery anyways.

South Park once crowned psychic John Edwards as the Biggest Douche in the Universe. The torch has been passed.
I'm on the floor steady, help me up. haahahah, that's just mean. Wait, are you refering to me? In that case, I will light the fire with pride :D

I watched part two out of complete and utter morbid curiousity. I don't know who this toad is, but he can't play to save his life. It always cracks me up when you see these wankers that haven't even taken the time to learn their craft, yet they have the finest gear money can buy......Fractal, Boogie, Engl, etc.. Although everyone has the right to an opinion, having no chops but killer equipment hardly makes you an expert....certainly not one to be taken seriously.
His schtick is rediculous too....."ahh....here's this electrical thingy that does something.....not sure what.....but it doesn't look like a very good one"........yikes.

From what I can see in the video, it says designed in USA. Isn't that something else?
Or is it the same thing meaning its tought of,or the idea of it was made in USA but it could be produced around the world?
Could it be that only the cardboardbox is designed in USA? hehe, I would assume it is common to have
the "made in..." stamped right on the product, but I do not know what the rules are.
I see now that it does not say on my mobilephone as well (i'm not checking behind the battery), but i'm sure it does on the box.
Pretty sure it says behind the battery anyways.

The MFC-101 is designed in USA and made in China. The Axe-Fx II is made in US.

Regardless, the "reviewer" is a chucklehead.

His rather unscientific estimate of our manufacturing costs is hilarious. He makes no attempt to estimate the cost of the components. He just throws out a random number because he gets "similar boards" made for $150? Wow, comical.

No kidding, just one look at the Analog devices page, $300+ for one DSP...

This reviewer is actually boarding on libel. If he had done a few minutes of research he would realize that the cost of just one DSP is more than his "$150 for the mainboard".

What an ass...

I actually found the review very amusing...i laughed a lot in some parts when he "explained" in depth the electronics..."Here you have a few bits going in and out of the back" lol!! he wasn't impressed by the power supply either hahaha.

Do you guys by any chance know who Karl Pilkington is?? I am a big fan, and this sounded a lot like him (you know...having no clue but still having an opinion).

He showed his serial number...CLEVER!! please send him an email saying his warranty is void. And of course, the return policy is no longer applicable :p

Cant believe I just lost 50mins of my life that I will never get back! I just watched his other videos and threw up in my mouth a little bit, hes telling us about tone and this is how he plays tonymckenziecom's Channel - YouTube

He cant play guitar for crap and is a terrible reviewer, angry, deluded, whingy old man.

All the gear and no idea.........

Do a search for this guy on google - he has provided similar other 'reviews' for other equipment, with the same negative vibe and has been discussed in other forums.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he doesn't do himself any favours with the bumbling approach, attempts to be cool and generally sarcastic/negative vibe in support of his 'honest, no bullshit' reviews. From what I recall, he had quite a run-in with another manufacturer and had to take down some reviews.

He approached me for some labels for this review too, and I immediately googled him to find out what the deal was with him... but that's another story altogether....

See I knew this would happen, petrol on a bandcampfire with people running around in sleepingbags on fire (I should make a horrormovie).
I did not want this to happen see, all these strong words of negativity, we don't want that now do we? No.
Certainly those of you with colournames and administorrights, now that would just turn out ugly.
See you have to choose your words wisely, and be an good example (professionalism?). Words like "What an ass.." and stuff
does really not look good coming from Fractal themselves. That, or you guys are really not afraid of showing
the world your true honest opinion about somebodys review of your product. Maybe you feel that the review is unfair, always many reasons for things.
Wow, thats wisdom right there "always many reasons for things". Anyway FractalAudio have the right to have strong opinions like the rest of us,

just make sure you all agree from fractal about this guy being an ass before you post it. It could turn out bad like other companies calling fractal "what-an-ass-callers".

Peace and love to all of you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom