Interesting amp/tonestack combo

simeon

Axe-Master
been told we're doing summer of 69 at some point, so obviously my first stop was the lpd tonematch. didn't work for me, so started from scratch and got close enough using the top boost with a tubescreamer in front. in my travels around the web, looking at what gear adams and scott were using, i found out that keith scott has a custom amp with the power section of a hiwatt and the preamp section of an ac30. so via the magic of the wonderful black box, it's easy to try these out - have a go - hiwatt with top boost tone stack...sounds great!

Hi, we play that tune and would love to try some other idea than just a basic jcm800 that I use. Do you have a preset readily available to put up?

to be honest, you could probably dial it in yourself...i found it very easy

top boost - mv on 9, drive on 8, everything else default except hi cut (dial to taste)

cabs - stock RW top boost silver and blue

drive - 808 mod - drive 2, level 6.5, low cut 330, hi cut 1500

put a slapback delay in front of the amp, very low mix and reverb after - large room 1sec

I can't remember who it was ..., but one of our esteemed brothers here gets close to Shur's OD-100's by using the Bogner Shiva and swapping the tonestack w/ the CAE 3+ model ....

Seems like there was another tweak or two besides that, but I don't remember what they were ?

been told we're doing summer of 69 at some point, so obviously my first stop was the lpd tonematch. didn't work for me, so started from scratch and got close enough using the top boost with a tubescreamer in front. in my travels around the web, looking at what gear adams and scott were using, i found out that keith scott has a custom amp with the power section of a hiwatt and the preamp section of an ac30. so via the magic of the wonderful black box, it's easy to try these out - have a go - hiwatt with top boost tone stack...sounds great!

For me the next stop would have been the door on my way out. :)

Hehehe... come on Yek! Simeon gotta be on the earth sometimes too just doing normal stuff, can´t be in space all the time... :D

Although, I´ve got to admit that it is a song that I´ve heard way too much. If/when listening to a swedish radio channel (playing chart hit songs of the 60´s, 70´s and 80´s) at my work it´ll come up everyday during the whole week. Weird channel in fact, because I´ve been missing a whole lot of other artists/bands in their playlist.

Or maybe I´ve been all wrong in assuming that U2 had any hits in the 80´s?

:roll

Nice tip there Simeon, thanks! Weren´t Dave Gilmour having a similar custom amp setup with his Hiwatt as well?

Reactions: yek
I'm confused. You said use a hiwatt with top boost tone stack. But then you said use the top boost amp block

So therefore am I using the top boost amp block and changing tone stack type to hiwatt? Or the other way around?

I used the top boost in the end. Still, try the hiwatt as well, if you like. If it was Bryan playing rhythm, then it would have been AC30's.

Yeah I just tried top boost and it sounded great.
Master at 9 and drive at 8 with the ts808 was way too much gain it seemed.
I used master at 7' drive at 5 and no ts808. Sounded chunky and pretty similar

Can you share a little more detail on your reverb and delay setting? I can't seem to get this part to sound right?
What delay type, ms and mix %. Also, how low of a mix do you have for the reverb?

Yeah I just tried top boost and it sounded great.
Master at 9 and drive at 8 with the ts808 was way too much gain it seemed.
I used master at 7' drive at 5 and no ts808. Sounded chunky and pretty similar

Can you share a little more detail on your reverb and delay setting? I can't seem to get this part to sound right?
What delay type, ms and mix %. Also, how low of a mix do you have for the reverb?

The reverb and delay I got from the LPD tonematch preset. They sounded great to me, so I left them as they were

Nice tip there Simeon, thanks! Weren´t Dave Gilmour having a similar custom amp setup with his Hiwatt as well?

Short version:

Gilmour has used many different rigs, but with the "Hiwatt-rigs" he uses a Alembic F-2B preamp, originally it was just used as the main preamp for Gilmours Leslie cabinets, mid-80's was mainly Fender and Boogie amps, but as of 1988 the Alembic was back as Gilmours main preamp. At that point Cornish has bypassed the Hiwatts internal preamps and the signal from the Alembic feed directly to the Hiwatts poweramp stage.

Every effin night ...... that and Robbie effin Williams' poxy Angels ...... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! :)

125a486b-def7-4954-b196-489d7cb3a554.jpg

Back
Top Bottom