Insane FM9 Buzzing all of a sudden

are you using it as an audio interface? does it buzz for all audio? If only on guitar, how about input 2 for the guitar?

Last edited by a moderator:
The noise from a ground loop rides in on the power line, not the guitar. Neither the guitar or a noise gate will affect a ground loop. That's how we know that this situation doesn't involve a ground loop.
Not exactly. It is generally chassis GND current riding on the sleeve/shield line running between two different pieces of gear that are connected to each other. You can't have a ground loop with only one piece of gear, only ground noise from the supply.

If the FM9 is not connected to another piece of equipment either via an audio connection or UBS, then agreed, no ground loop.

The guitar only muddies the water, as it may affect the function of noise gates.

Not exactly. It is generally chassis GND current riding on the sleeve/shield line running between two different pieces of gear that are connected to each other. You can't have a ground loop with only one piece of gear, only ground noise from the supply.

If the FM9 is not connected to another piece of equipment either via an audio connection or UBS, then agreed, no ground loop.

The guitar only muddies the water, as it may affect the function of noise gates.
Except, of course, if there's a circuit fault somewhere inside the unit, or a floating ground somewhere inside. Then it could have an internal ground loop that is causing the buzz.

Update:

Took the FM9 to another place altogether and it seemed fine. I am just gonna chock this up to my wife's 1000 christmas LED's and other powered devices.

I was terrified there was an electrical issue inside the FM9 itself. I don't think that is the case.
You might be able to systematically power things off and back on and eventually isolate the culprit, and ask if that one thing can be removed, and live with the ensuing silent treatment for the remainder of the holiday season. :)

You might be able to systematically power things off and back on and eventually isolate the culprit, and ask if that one thing can be removed, and live with the ensuing silent treatment for the remainder of the holiday season. :)
Might be worth the silent treatment if the noise floor of his FM9 is silent as well......laugh.gif

Tried it everywhere, still buzzy as hell. Guess I have to wait until the new year when all the decorations come down lol.

If you want to find out what area of the house is causing the issue the quickest way (if it’s in the house); turn on your FM9 and plug your guitar in so it’s buzzing away, go to your breaker panel and start switching the breakers off one by one, leaving your FM9 associated breaker alone. Ideally, you’ll kill power to the area causing the buzz and you can start whittling down the actual thing causing it once you know the area to look in.

I do this every other day at work (commercial property management) because it saves a lot of time, especially when a contractor didn’t label a breaker panel or Jbox correctly and we need to trace a circuit back to the panel.

Has anyone had success with shielding guitar pickups etc.?
Shielding your guitar (pickup cavities, control cavity, jack cavity, etc.) can definitely help to reduce interference. But shielding of your pickups can never be complete, because part of the pickup must be exposed to the strings.

I'm thinking there may be a statistical correlation between an uptick in the occurrence and reporting of noise issues and the holiday season. You know, when a bunch of holiday lights of often questionable manufacture and electrical code defying configurations get plugged in. Especially when the noise pops up in a setup that has been noise-free previously. You have no idea what your neighbor may have plugged in to create the neutron star blazing next door.

Back
Top Bottom