Input level not working. Help!!!

veus55

I recently got my Axe Fx II and I was trying to practice using backing tracks through my computer, so I connected the Axe via USB, installed the drivers and left the input type at default (so I could just play my guitar with a backing track).

The backing track was way too loud and the volume control on my Mac was not available for Axe's sound card.

I then went into the Axe I/O and tried to adjust the input levels, but they were unresponsive. I could not change the input level for none of the inputs including the instrument level. I could change the level, but nothing would happen.

Questions,
1) Why is this happening. I was connected to the computer via USB and I also had Axe Edit on. Am I missing something?
2) Is there any other way to control the volume of the backing track from the computer?

Thanks,
Dan

You have to adjust the backing track's level at the computer. Use the volume slider in the app.

I understand, but the input levels in the axe are not responding. This includes the instrument input level. I can not adjust it and I would like to increase it because my guitar has a lowish output and I would like to get it closer to the clipping level. I don't know if this gets inactivated when connected with the USB to the computer or when axe edit is connected.

The Instrument Input level will not increase the gain of your guitar. The Axe-Fx II is "unity gain". Increasing the Inst In trim will only improve SNR. To get more gain turn up the Drive parameter in the amp block. See the manual for full details.

The apparent gain will not change when you change the Input Level. The idea of the Input Level is to optimize the SNR by maximizing the signal level into the A/D converters.

You can then apply more gain either by turning up the Drive or Input Trim in the amp block or using the Global Amp Gain.

With regard to this input level adjustment on the Axe II, I find that 50% works great for a Strat (goes into yellow, but can't get it to go into red even if I turn it past 50%). But with my LP it clips very easily and I have to turn it down to 30%. How do I set up the input level for two guitars? Should I keep it at 30% and then just boost the volume in the preset at the beginning of the chain? I prefer not to keep changing the i/o input knob for different guitars. Isn't it better to get the input to go into yellow? Is boosting the signal later the same as getting a good level at the i/o stage? Thank you!

The idea of the Input Level is to optimize the SNR by maximizing the signal level into the A/D converters.
will it also maximize the GNR signal level? I hear they are touring again and I can't wait to hear Axl sing "Welcome to the Jungle."

With regard to this input level adjustment on the Axe II, I find that 50% works great for a Strat (goes into yellow, but can't get it to go into red even if I turn it past 50%). But with my LP it clips very easily and I have to turn it down to 30%. How do I set up the input level for two guitars? Should I keep it at 30% and then just boost the volume in the preset at the beginning of the chain? I prefer not to keep changing the i/o input knob for different guitars. Isn't it better to get the input to go into yellow? Is boosting the signal later the same as getting a good level at the i/o stage? Thank you!
You can set up the Axe-FX input for your hottest guitar, and just run with that. The input SNR won't be optimized for the lower-output guitar, but the Axe-FX will still have better SNR than the guitar itself, so no worries.

If you want both guitars to drive the amp sims equally hard, you can adjust the global Amp Gain parameter to compensate for the difference in pickup levels.

Or you can copy your presets, and tweak the copies for the other guitar. Then you'll have different, compensated presets for each guitar.

The Instrument Input level will not increase the gain of your guitar. The Axe-Fx II is "unity gain". Increasing the Inst In trim will only improve SNR. To get more gain turn up the Drive parameter in the amp block. See the manual for full details.

Cliff, I had already seen this posted, but in my tests I found that changing the input level alters the sound in the same way as a boost would affect. So I cannot understand this unity gain statemente.
Are you sure you are fully compensating for the changes in level from the input level?

Back
Top Bottom