Input Clipping Thread

Ok, stupid question time:

Where does the clip indicator warning show up? Front panel? Axe-Edit?

I ask because I have yet to encounter an issue and my pickups, while not overly hot, certainly aren't low output.

I'm seeing this cause so much consternation to so many that I'm worried I'm just missing the indicator...

On an Axe-Fx 3 Mk2, 22.00 beta 6 firmware I can set the input 1 level to 50% without getting any clipping even if I strum my highest gain, passive pickup 7- and 8-strings as hard as I can.

I think the clipping message could be less aggressive as I could not audibly hear it clipping if I set the input level higher but the message popped up. Maybe making it require a bit longer period of clipping before showing the message would be better?

On an Axe-Fx 3 Mk2, 22.00 beta 6 firmware I can set the input 1 level to 50% without getting any clipping even if I strum my highest gain, passive pickup 7- and 8-strings as hard as I can.

I think the clipping message could be less aggressive as I could not audibly hear it clipping if I set the input level higher but the message popped up. Maybe making it require a bit longer period of clipping before showing the message would be better?

Clipping is clipping

If it’s there… I’d like to know

I don’t need it dumbed down

Clipping is clipping

If it’s there… I’d like to know

I don’t need it dumbed down
But there's definitely better ways to handle it. If it clips for one note, it's not the end of the world so do we really need a huge ass "INPUT 1 clipping!" message, or could it just show a little warning icon above the Input 1 meter in the Meters view?

EDIT: For more severe, longer lasting clipping it could pop up the message.

Last edited:
Ok !
So I have finished the test running 12 guitars in the same preset
3 of them were clipping at 50% (and funny, the mustang, jagstang and one of the jaguar, not the one with emg lol )

I just screw down a little bit the pickups in these, until the message never show up again, done

But there's definitely better ways to handle it. If it clips for one note, it's not the end of the world so do we really need a huge ass "INPUT 1 clipping!" message, or could it just show a little warning icon above the Input 1 meter in the Meters view?
It's not the end of the world if you set the a/d sensitivity a bit lower either, you'd still have plenty of dynamic range even if your peaks are a few dB below 0 dBFS.

Ok, stupid question time:

Where does the clip indicator warning show up? Front panel? Axe-Edit?

I ask because I have yet to encounter an issue and my pickups, while not overly hot, certainly aren't low output.

I'm seeing this cause so much consternation to so many that I'm worried I'm just missing the indicator...

Front panel. It's a big popup message box in orange that says "Input Clip!" and then disappears after a second or so.

Just to recap for everyone seeing it for the first time. It is new to the 22.00 beta firmware and has never been there before. Nothing else has changed about the input processing so everything functions and sounds exactly like it did before except for the new clipping popup.

If you see it, turn down input sensitivity in the I/O menu and try again until you don't see it while playing normally.

When I first got Axe: I ascertained that the default 50 was fine for my guitars, never clips, and it's been parked there ever since. I do have a bass which can clip with slaps: but cleverly; the bass has a volume knob which when turned downed prevents clipping: lazy me does that, rather than futzing with the ADC input level.

The clipping warning threshold is not 0 dB. It comes on at -1 dB for just this reason.
I wasn't talking specifically about the axe fx input, 1 dB gives a good bit of margin for sure, even though ISP on transients could exceed that in some cases.

PS: I'm not even sure if ISP really matter when going from analog to digital, probably it's more important the other way around

Had mine at 80% before the clipping indicator update. Just installed the beta and clipping indicator went away at 50%...
Guitar was my Solar AB1.6 with DiMarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge.

Now when I go to 60% and get clipping and then dropping it to 50% again, I hear the difference. I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for me knowing I'm clipping when I'm clipping. So visual aid helps hearing as well.

would be nice to have the message as a switchable option. turn it on, test your guitars until you're in the green, then switch the message off again. easy...

Ok folks, you need to help me figure out what the hell is going on.
Empty preset, in1->out1. Recording from USB. As always, switching input sensitivity after each strum, 0 to 6 to 12 to 18 via the hardware I/O section, not FM3-Edit. Recording in Cubase, Control Panel - Asio buffer size 512 samples. Strumming the hell out of the strings with an open Em11 or "Back in Black" intro, results are the same.

Take 1, with OUT1 at full volume, USB levels 1dB (default).
1680116973914.png
Take 2, OUT1 50%, USB levels -8dB - SAME graph. Take 3, OUT 1 ~15%, USB levels -24dB - same graph! Take 4&5, experimenting with different values. Last highlighted clip is simply playing some random licks and chords, with the bend on the 3rd in the end.
1680117056577.png
FM3 settings during the last take:
1680117163200.png
What's going on?

Ok folks, you need to help me figure out what the hell is going on.
Empty preset, in1->out1. Recording from USB. As always, switching input sensitivity after each strum, 0 to 6 to 12 to 18 via the hardware I/O section, not FM3-Edit. Recording in Cubase, Control Panel - Asio buffer size 512 samples. Strumming the hell out of the strings with an open Em11 or "Back in Black" intro, results are the same.

Take 1, with OUT1 at full volume, USB levels 1dB (default).
View attachment 118486
Take 2, OUT1 50%, USB levels -8dB - SAME graph. Take 3, OUT 1 ~15%, USB levels -24dB - same graph! Take 4&5, experimenting with different values. Last highlighted clip is simply playing some random licks and chords, with the bend on the 3rd in the end.
View attachment 118487
FM3 settings during the last take:
View attachment 118488
What's going on?
This thread is about AxeFx III

Back
Top Bottom