Input Clipping Thread

NNNooo! - the idea is to set your guitar up as you want it to sound, not changed to conform to any digital gears' A/D conversion constraints.
That was a story of 2 millimeters here. Nothing changed in the sound really . I’m not saying to put the pickup in the cavity 😅. Also it’s never a bad idea to add some distance between the pickup and the strings, specially when you attack a lot

That was a story of 2 millimeters here. Nothing changed in the sound really . I’m not saying to put the pickup in the cavity 😅. Also it’s never a bad idea to add some distance between the pickup and the strings, specially when you attack a lot
Sure - just sayin - if the output signal of a properly set up, and not off-the-charts oddball guitar were not to be A/D convertable by a given piece of digital gear, then there would seem to be a digital gear related issue to take a peek at, imo regardless of how small a guitar tweak it would take to conform to that digital gear's input requirement.

Wrt Fractal, do we really have instances of guitars outside Axfx range of ability to effectively A/D convert? My guess is not really, but some on the edges maybe?

Last edited:
I have great news, I was able to set sensitivity to 100% and play my ukulele right in front of the AxeFX, and NO CLIPPING!!!
Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

FWIW

I’ve got my Input A/D sensitivity to 15% now, before it was at 50%

Br Pickup are medium-high output pickups,
Bass side Pickup height ~2 mm, played loud as I normally would on thicker strings…

Does not give warning till ~ 15-20%

Seems like a nice sweet spot range from skimming the thread here, but obviously try your own guitar and adjust accordingly

Sure - just sayin - if the output signal of a properly set up, and not off-the-charts oddball guitar were not to be A/D convertable by a given piece of digital gear, then there would seem to be a digital gear related issue to take a peek at

Do you have a guitar that still clips after properly setting the sensitivity settings on the gear or is this just a made up problem

Do you have a guitar that still clips after properly setting the sensitivity settings on the gea
Nope - none clip A/D unavoidably due to no suitable A/D sensitivity setting available on Axfx (or
other digital gear for that matter) - and I have a wide range of guitars from a very weak strat / SC to very strong Carvin / HB.

is this just a made up problem
Not sure why you are asking me what I had essentially asked others already in that part of my post that you left out of your quote:

"Wrt Fractal, do we really have instances of guitars outside Axfx range of ability to effectively A/D convert? My guess is not really, but some on the edges maybe?"

Last edited:
By definition, "properly setting the sensitivity settings" means it's not clipping.
I think this relates to the following question I posed above in response to Mud's comment about adjusting pup height to better suit modeller A/D conversion (not a viable way to deal with A/D clipping conversion related imo).

Do we really have instances here of guitars that are so strong or weak signalled that there is no A/D sensitivity setting that will work without digital clipping or audible signall loss (thus forcing the user to adjust pup height etc to "get in viable range")?

A 2nd related question would be how many instances there are of folks that can't find one setting to suit all their guitars? ( In my case, though I have to set A/D sens fairly low due to the hot Carvin, that low setting works fine down to my weakest guitar (a very weak strat)).

If there are none (or very few) cases of either scenario, then I guess these A/D sens discussions are really just about a learning curve adjustment given the new info we have (clip msg).

Last edited:
You're losing gain bro. That's like changing the rim to fix a flat tire.

Not if you take physics into account. There is such a thing as having the pickups too close to the strings, where the magnetic field has a detrimental effect on tone, tuning, and sustain. Gain is pointless if your guitar sounds like shit.

The AxeFx has more than enough gain on its own. You don't need massive amounts of signal from a guitar to get it into overdrive. We're not in the '50s anymore.

Related reading: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/problems-due-to-pickup-height

What would be hilarious is if Cliff did this as an early April Fools joke.

All kidding aside, I do like knowing that I was set a bit high, but even with the small clipping I was getting I still had KILLER tones and my unit sounded better than anything else I've tried. I do confess that the big indicator is annoying. I think it should be a little light (similar to the home screen tuner display).

Back
Top Bottom