Input Clipping Thread

Ok folks, you need to help me figure out what the hell is going on.
Empty preset, in1->out1. Recording from USB. As always, switching input sensitivity after each strum, 0 to 6 to 12 to 18 via the hardware I/O section, not FM3-Edit. Recording in Cubase, Control Panel - Asio buffer size 512 samples. Strumming the hell out of the strings with an open Em11 or "Back in Black" intro, results are the same.

Take 1, with OUT1 at full volume, USB levels 1dB (default).
View attachment 118486
Take 2, OUT1 50%, USB levels -8dB - SAME graph. Take 3, OUT 1 ~15%, USB levels -24dB - same graph! Take 4&5, experimenting with different values. Last highlighted clip is simply playing some random licks and chords, with the bend on the 3rd in the end.
View attachment 118487
FM3 settings during the last take:
View attachment 118488
What's going on?
Again, if you use USB signal from out1 there's a chance you're actually clipping the output and not the input. OUT1 block boosts the signal by 18 dB so the results you get tell you nothing useful.
In Cubase click on the 'studio' dropdown menu, then 'audio connections', on the input tab right click and select 'add bus'-> Mono and assign IN 3 [In 1 Instr] to that bus.
Then assign that input to the track and record again.

PS: or, in alternative, turn down the level parameter in the OUT1 block to -18 dB

PPS: you should really have a read at the manual before doing these tests cuz I see you're making a lot of confusion on what controls what

Last edited:
I have two MK1s and two MKII Turbos, and my experience is the same as Yek's. I do not notice a difference between them in terms of input level or clipping. Maybe I missed it in all the responses, but I didn't see anyone else directly comparing different AxeFx units -- not sure where the conclusion is coming from that the MKII is more sensitive.

I am able to crank the input level to 100% on a MKII and play normally without clipping when using my Asher resonator guitar, which has a gold foil pickup. That level is too hot for most of my other guitars though. (Right now I've got my input level set at 58%.)

When you say "regardless of pickup/guitar"... what specifically did you do to eliminate the pickup/guitar as a variable? Have you tested with someone else's guitars that aren't setup like yours? Have you made any adjustments -- pickup height, string gauge, etc -- and completed an A/B test with only that change in order to rule it out?

It seems to reason that the main variable in terms of input level would be the thing generating the input signal, which is the guitar. It also seems unlikely any differences between AxeFX units would be a contributing factor as that is the least likely thing to vary here. (They use interchangeable input board PCBs/circuitry; it's digitally controlled; the components are high quality with low variance; etc.) Guitars, on the other hand -- including how they are setup, and how they are played -- vary wildly.
Not talking about input level at all, talking about A/D Sensitivity setting. If you crank that to 100% and you dont get the “INPUT CLIPPING!!!” prompt on the unit, you’re not plugged in.

I did -24dB with the same result, with the Out1 ~15%. It's clearly defined in the post.
From what I see in your screenshot you turned down USB playback levels which have nothing to do with OUT1.
And the OUT1 physical knob doesn't control the volume on digital outputs (USB and spdif).
That's why I suggested reading the manual, you have pretty confused ideas about what those controls do. No offense

Ok, stupid question time:

Where does the clip indicator warning show up? Front panel? Axe-Edit?

I ask because I have yet to encounter an issue and my pickups, while not overly hot, certainly aren't low output.

I'm seeing this cause so much consternation to so many that I'm worried I'm just missing the indicator...
It shows up as a big box on the front screen on the unit, if/when it happens.

But there's definitely better ways to handle it. If it clips for one note, it's not the end of the world so do we really need a huge ass "INPUT 1 clipping!" message, or could it just show a little warning icon above the Input 1 meter in the Meters view?

EDIT: For more severe, longer lasting clipping it could pop up the message.
What difference does it make how/where it shows up???

If you see it, you turn down the input sensitivity until it no longer shows up, then forget about it. Done!

/thread

That's why I suggested reading the manual, you have pretty confused ideas about what those controls do. No offense
None taken, thanks for the reply! I'll restart all tomorrow after reading the manual. I'll keep the results to myself so the thread can focus on the original topic.

Not talking about input level at all, talking about A/D Sensitivity setting. If you crank that to 100% and you dont get the “INPUT CLIPPING!!!” prompt on the unit, you’re not plugged in.

Yes, I used the wrong term; A/D Sensitivity is what I meant. My gold foil equipped guitar still doesn't clip with my MkII set at 100%. And the greater point remains -- it's still most likely due to the input (guitar), not your AxeFx being a MkII.

Back
Top Bottom