Input Clipping Thread

Can more users here repeat the year that @mr_fender and @GlennO have, to record a waveform tickling the red? I don't know when I can play next to run this test myself. This is a huge change, and I'm really surprised that the manual could be so wrong on this point.
I tried it on FM3. Results are... confusing to say the least.

This is the graph of the same "strum as hard as I can" pattern, switching from 0db to 18db padding on FM3 with Fishman Abasi's bridge.
As you can see, the "gain compensation" algorithm works... backwards. 0db is the most flat and compressed, but the higher padding value you set, the louder and more dynamic the input signal is!
So basically the manual should say - always use the lowest value unless you playing extreme metal?..

I validated the results many times with the help of other person switching the input padding on the device and watching lights.
It confirms my testing in other thread, where I was able to quite clearly and repeatedly hear the difference between 0db and 6db padding in a blind test, and many times guess 18dB because it was thinner sounding. I played lightly in that testing, but results are the same - the clarity was ALWAYS on 6dB and lower, never on 0dB. Again - with a very light touch where nothing was red on the meters!
1680024244354.png 1680024489592.png
The first result is clipped probably because of the input clipping on my Zoom UAC-2 which is used as a proxy, so for the rest of the tests I've used a much lower input value on the interface input.

0dB peaks look like this (below):
1680024660198.png
6dB peaks looks like this (below):
1680024718061.png
12dB:
1680024851663.png
16dB:
1680024890857.png
Two more tests - first is a simple chord with open A, low to medium strumming, and a second is a blues phrase, light touch, switching 0-6-12-18dB.
1680025264990.png1680025299085.png
0dB peaks are totally smashed, while the input led was barely touching orange during this test. And here's the highest peak of the 18dB of the second test (the one on the right):
1680025594984.png
Looks good! And the dynamics seems to be the same for 12 and 18 dBs.

Also, for anyone who's doing this test, watch the output clip - I've realized at some point, that it also blinked red, so I had to redo the test with the 1/3 of the OUT1 volume.

In one of other tests I've got 6dB peaks smashed also, so I'll stay with 12dB on the input and 1/3 on the output so far until I understand this further. It was when I touched the strings hard, but not really hard. Seems like the algo tried to level it but ended up clipping it same way as 0dB.

I had mine set at default 50% for ages, but now as I see it’s clipping I lowered it to suit my EMG equipped Luke guitars, to around 30%. All OK, then I tried my LIII which is the loudest guitar I own by far, and i had to drop it down to around 15% and it still clips occasionally when I engage the guitar’s boost function. I had no idea before this firmware that my signal was too hot.

Yep
if it don’t clip with this guitar with pickup set very close to the strings (factory setting that cannot be changed) , very hot output, butchering it 🤷. Also with my strat and humbuckers there was no message at 50 % too. As I own many guitars I will continue the test with all of them if you want. Also I have one with emg … but the jp is way hotter than emg … well . Can’t explain why some of you got this . Are you sure that is not related to the levelling of your presets ?

What if you’re getting the clipping pop up and you don’t give a damn? Can you turn it off?

I keep it at 50% for all of my guitars which seemed to work just fine, and even bring out the nuances of each pickup. Now my display looks like it’s generating Adsense revenue whenever I let off a little chug.

My Strat Ultra with Fender Noiseless pickups doesn't clip at 3 o'clock (about 84%) - when hitting the strings hard. Turning input sensitivity above that will trigger the clip indicator.

My 2013 R9 with Custombuckers won't trigger the indicator at 30% but will at 35%.

I just ran a very simple test:

1. Create a preset with Synth block going to Out 3. Also add an input 1 block. Does not need to go anywhere.
2. Set synth to sine wave, no tracking.
3. Out 3 on full. Route cable from Out 3 to front input.
4. Set the AD sensitivity to 100%
5. Increase the output of synth until the red "tickles". in my test it was +10dB
6. Increase output until clipping indicator comes on. In my test it was 15.5 exactly.

So there you go. Red light comes on at -6dB. Clipping indicator at -0.5.

End of story.

Set your sensitivity accordingly.
Science!

Majesty with no changes to PU's. Prior to the update, I had to set the level at 5.8% (this is checking it with the onboard 20dB boost engaged.)

I suppose I had it pretty well dialed in, because using this new clip indicator, I could raise it to all of 6.6%.

Edit: Oh and I'm on a MKII, if that matters.

Last edited:
Majesty with no changes to PU's. Prior to the update, I had to set the level at 5.8% (this is checking it with the onboard 20dB boost engaged.)

I suppose I had it pretty well dialed in, because using this new clip indicator, I could raise it to all of 6.6%.

20dB boost 😳

Headroom doesn’t stand a chance!

Back
Top Bottom