In the Spirit of NAMM Anouncements (FAS reactive load box)

Nobody -- it's a prediction.
I should have phrased it differently:
"I'll bet you money that it will be the same price as the Suhr."
Because Suhr has established that the price for a quality load is $400.

But maybe Fractal wants to compete on price.
Guitarists are pathetically price-sensitive.
I say "pathetically" because guitarists will often trade $50 for happiness.
That is, they'll buy a $350 product instead of a $400 product when the $400 product will make them happy, but the $350 product won't.

Naw, man. You were correct. I emailed Fractal back in December to ask what the ballpark price point would be, and they confirmed that it would be closest to their competitor product--Suhr RL--, so somewhere around the $400 mark.

Nobody -- it's a prediction.
I should have phrased it differently:
"I'll bet you money that it will be the same price as the Suhr."
Because Suhr has established that the price for a quality load is $400.

But maybe Fractal wants to compete on price.
Guitarists are pathetically price-sensitive.
I say "pathetically" because guitarists will often trade $50 for happiness.
That is, they'll buy a $350 product instead of a $400 product when the $400 product will make them happy, but the $350 product won't.

How do you measure the quality of a reactive load? How do you get a buyer to choose your product over the other?

How do you measure the quality of a reactive load? How do you get a buyer to choose your product over the other?

Features, sound samples, measurements, YouTube demos, celebrity endorsements, advertisements, etc.
Not just price.

Loads and attenuators used to be $300 until Suhr priced the RL at $400.
It costs more -- it must be better !

But now the benchmark has been set that a quality load costs $400.
So Fractal could undercut Suhr at $350.
But then people might think, "Oh, Fractal doesn't think their load is as good as the Suhr".
Or Fractal could price it at $450, but then people might ask, "Why is it better? Fractal is charging us more for nothing!".
So the safe bet is to price it identically.

Now, the Fryette Power Load is $500.
That's partly justified by the inclusion of a cab simulator.
The Suhr ACE cab simulator is $300, so the RL and ACE together are $700.
Now the Power Load looks like a bargain ! :)

Features, sound samples, measurements, YouTube demos, celebrity endorsements, advertisements, etc.
Not just price.

Loads and attenuators used to be $300 until Suhr priced the RL at $400.
It costs more -- it must be better !

But now the benchmark has been set that a quality load costs $400.
So Fractal could undercut Suhr at $350.
But then people might think, "Oh, Fractal doesn't think their load is as good as the Suhr".
Or Fractal could price it at $450, but then people might ask, "Why is it better? Fractal is charging us more for nothing!".
So the safe bet is to price it identically.

Now, the Fryette Power Load is $500.
That's partly justified by the inclusion of a cab simulator.
The Suhr ACE cab simulator is $300, so the RL and ACE together are $700.
Now the Power Load looks like a bargain ! :)

Mmm good quality ones never where $300.

Still to me one of the killer advantages of the Suhr is thats pasive, no extra AC

Yesterday Pete Thorn posted a killer video of his first impressions of the Ox. ( Still trying to match that beautiful AC Vox Growl breakup in my Axe FX XL).

But guess what else was in that video?... as noted by TGP member Chris@TGP, yes it is the X-LOAD!!

25312040847_925d45bc62_o.png

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-ox-amp-top-box.1846447/page-54#post-25812636

Last edited:
Notice the Fractial X Load sitting under the Suhr unit behind Pete. The LB-2 if it comes out needs to top the UA OX.

Notice the Fractial X Load sitting under the Suhr unit behind Pete. The LB-2 if it comes out needs to top the UA OX.

Needs? maybe...if the X-Load is priced at $1,300 right? I mean look at all the things you get with the OX.

The X-Load is more in the Suhr RL territory of offering and price range.;)

Michael Nielsen is a baller and made an excellent video comparison a couple of days ago of the Two Notes, UA, Suhr, and Fryette load boxes plus the Kemper. Honestly, they all hold up and sound good. Definitely some differences between the units though. Can't wait for the X-Load to drop!

Needs? maybe...if the X-Load is priced at $1,300 right? I mean look at all the things you get with the OX.

The X-Load is more in the Suhr RL territory of offering and price range.;)
The X-Load is the LB-1. Cliff said the LB-2 would be a full feature unit. If that is true than the price will be > than the OX. The OX is a nice piece. FAS has to do better. Side note, the post before this one demos the Torpedo Studio. I've sent alot of money to the French, the Studios have done their work well,but I would prefer to buy American.

Last edited:
The X-Load is the LB-1. Cliff said the LB-2 would be a full feature unit. If that is true than the price will be > than the OX. The OX is a nice piece. FAS has to do better. Side note, the post before this one demos the Torpedo Studio. I've sent alot of money to the French, the Studios have done their work well,but I would prefer to buy American.

Can you tell me where you found out information about the difference between the LB-1 and LB-2 or that there would be 2 different models? I assumed that the prototype was called the Nucleus (LB-2), but refined and then a simple name change into the production model X-Load. I wasn't aware there would be a stripped down load box--which from what Fractal says should be coming out any day now--as well as a full feature unit similar in functions to the Two Notes and UA available (god knows when). That would certainly be another piece of the cake!

I trully believe we will not be seeing an LB-2. So the X-load will have to do better or equal to the Suhr Reactive Load.

I expect it's too late to influence product development, but...

I would prefer a separate load box and modeling unit.
The Nucleus looks great for the load box.

Use for load without modeling:
* Apply IRs in the DAW.

Uses for modeling without load:
* Already own a load and it's inconvenient to sell it.
* Already recorded a dry amp track and want to try different cabinets with it (recabbing).
* Want to use real speakers on stage, but send DI/line out to FOH with cab modeling.

Also, can buy the load first, then add the modeling unit after, so less initial investment.

Can you tell me where you found out information about the difference between the LB-1 and LB-2 or that there would be 2 different models? I assumed that the prototype was called the Nucleus (LB-2), but refined and then a simple name change into the production model X-Load. I wasn't aware there would be a stripped down load box--which from what Fractal says should be coming out any day now--as well as a full feature unit similar in functions to the Two Notes and UA available (god knows when). That would certainly be another piece of the cake!

When FAS first said they would make a load box they did it here in the forum. Cliff said two units would be available, he never said when. The post refered to a simple load box and one with all the bells and whistles. However, the cost of the second one may be prohibitive, and a big risk for FAS which may be why it won't show up, after all FAS is all about digital modeling at least for many of the forum members. I see that as a mistake because so many of us who can afford to buy equipment in that price range love our tube amps no matter how good the Axe Fx sounds. But it all comes down to the bottom line, Cliff has to keep that fact in his sights. I wish him all the luck he can find in the process.

When FAS first said they would make a load box they did it here in the forum. Cliff said two units would be available, he never said when. The post refered to a simple load box and one with all the bells and whistles. However, the cost of the second one may be prohibitive, and a big risk for FAS which may be why it won't show up, after all FAS is all about digital modeling at least for many of the forum members. I see that as a mistake because so many of us who can afford to buy equipment in that price range love our tube amps no matter how good the Axe Fx sounds. But it all comes down to the bottom line, Cliff has to keep that fact in his sights. I wish him all the luck he can find in the process.

The unit will show up andnit will be worth the asking price!

The unit will show up andnit will be worth the asking price!
I hope your right. After reviewing the posts it looks like Cliff will name it the LB-1, or something else, I had it backwards. What ever he calls it, it needs to be better than the UA OX.

I hope your right. After reviewing the posts it looks like Cliff will name it the LB-1, or something else, I had it backwards. What ever he calls it, it needs to be better than the UA OX.

Better than the Fryette PS-2, which is better than the OX, reactive wise.

Back
Top Bottom