Impulse Response Collection

I finished my G12M "greenback" cab sims:

http://www.axechange.net/user.aspx?USER_PROFILE_ID=579

G12M "A" and G12M "B", can each be used alone or as a stereo pair. G12M "B" also works very well with either of my V30 cab sims as a stereo pair (I recommend trying this, since I get excellent results this way). G12M "A" doesn't work so well with my V30 cab sims though, unless you mess around with delay on one cab sim or the other to help correct the phase differences.

If I recall correctly I close-miked the speaker with a Shure SM57 and an Audio Technica 4033A, although I did have to perform significant EQ to the impulse files afterwards (so the mics aren't as important as how the impulse files turned out). There also wasn't as much separation in the stereo field for this impulse file "pair" as with the Vintage 30 "pair", since I had blended the mic sounds more with this recording. Oh and this was a somewhat newer (2 years old) Celestion G12M greenback, not the Heritage version. I hope that's enough technical information for anyone interested. :) It's hard to remember anything else since I recorded this a while ago.

JamesPeters said:
I finished my G12M "greenback" cab sims:

http://www.axechange.net/user.aspx?USER_PROFILE_ID=579

G12M "A" and G12M "B", can each be used alone or as a stereo pair. G12M "B" also works very well with either of my V30 cab sims as a stereo pair (I recommend trying this, since I get excellent results this way). G12M "A" doesn't work so well with my V30 cab sims though, unless you mess around with delay on one cab sim or the other to help correct the phase differences.

If I recall correctly I close-miked the speaker with a Shure SM57 and an Audio Technica 4033A, although I did have to perform significant EQ to the impulse files afterwards (so the mics aren't as important as how the impulse files turned out). There also wasn't as much separation in the stereo field for this impulse file "pair" as with the Vintage 30 "pair", since I had blended the mic sounds more with this recording. Oh and this was a somewhat newer (2 years old) Celestion G12M greenback, not the Heritage version. I hope that's enough technical information for anyone interested. :) It's hard to remember anything else since I recorded this a while ago.

Are these old impulses from speaker tests to determine which speaker suited best to your amps? Just curious, of course, but I was thinking the other day how manufacturers actually decide what speakers to use in which cabs. Is it a price issue, or whatever suits the character of the amp?

Clawfinger said:
Are these old impulses from speaker tests to determine which speaker suited best to your amps? Just curious, of course, but I was thinking the other day how manufacturers actually decide what speakers to use in which cabs. Is it a price issue, or whatever suits the character of the amp?

There is no price issue with speakers I recommend for use with my amps, since I don't make speaker cabinets. :) The owner of the amp can use whatever he wants. That means the responsibility is on me to make the amp suitable to various speaker types. I test my designs with actual speaker cabinets of various types (with various speaker types) so that I know they "play nice" with more than one speaker type, and I modify the amps as necessary. A design isn't complete until I do this. I wouldn't use impulse files for that purpose since I want to know how the amp responds with speakers in the real world, how it will actually sound to the customer when he plays it.

I use impulse files for the same reason others do: to get good, quick, and consistent results when direct recording. Having good speaker impulse files means knowing I can just connect an amp direct whenever inspiration strikes (which is rare enough for me), instead of possibly "losing the vibe" by spending time setting up mics. Also if a friend wants to record I don't have to spend extra time getting a good sound for him...especially if that friend comes back a week later to re-record a part and wants the same sound as before.

I see that there are a few single EVM 12L IRs in here.
I'll have to try these out. Maybe they'll make my comments about the EVM 12L that comes with the new firmware irrelevant.

I won't be able to ul these to my Ultra until next Monday.
In the meantime can anybody tell me anything about the single EVM-12L IRs?
How do they sound compared to the EVM 12L cab that comes with the current firmware of the Axe?

I'm particularly interested in cabs that work well in a FRFR rig.
I'm used to playing Boogie combo amps (open-backed) with EVM-12Ls in them. I'd like to get a feeling something like that with a FRFR system if I can.
Any IRs in this collection that I should check out?

JamesPeters said:
I finished my G12M "greenback" ...........

These sound so sweet. Just brilliant!!! Will rehearse them this week & gig on Sat. Thanks much for taking the time. I love it! :mrgreen:

Anyone that isn't grabbing these and messing with all of them is missing out on one of the most powerful aspects of the Axe-FX IMHO.

Between Jay, Clawfinger, James Peters and these grouped by Cliff.... whew.

Incredible what you can do with these.

+1… During my first month or so with the Axe, back in January, I tested the same hi gain amp setting (Recto New model) with literarily hundreds of user impulses, including some I converted myself. There's so many that it's easy to get lost though, so I tend to do preselections first, and listen again a few hours/days later. I used a bank just for that

Great stuff! Thank you so much, i will most definitely check and incorporate these into my cab collection!

+1 on Scotts opinion:
The possibility to use custom IRs is just an incredible feature, one the most important of the axe-fx!
Makes it almost mandatory to go FRFR with the axe..

Best regards,
quasimono

Hi All,
How are people keeping track of what user cabs have been loaded in the axe and how might I audition other cabs if my user slots are filled up?
thanks!
Tim

whatdehuff said:
Hi All,
How are people keeping track of what user cabs have been loaded in the axe and how might I audition other cabs if my user slots are filled up?
thanks!
Tim

Tim,

Use the "Cab Utilities" tab in the Editor.

Back
Top Bottom