Impulse Response Collection

AndrewSimon said:
FractalAudio said:
James Peters posted this on Rig Talk: http://www.axechange.net/cabinet.aspx?cabinet_id=90

This is a really good sounding IR. I recommend trying it.

Yeah pretty good.
Nasaly and bright.... just the way I like it.
Couple it with JM2000 and it becomes a monster.

;)

Nasally and bright my eye! It's called "full mids"! :lol: Seriously though for a Vintage 30, that's pretty much what I want to hear when I put mics in front of it. Thankfully with the mic models and EQ you can darken it up or warm it up easily. But "as is" it'll cut through a mix like you might expect it to.

I'm glad you guys like it! I'm working on a greenback cab sim too...

JamesPeters said:
AndrewSimon said:
FractalAudio said:
James Peters posted this on Rig Talk: http://www.axechange.net/cabinet.aspx?cabinet_id=90

Yeah pretty good.
Nasaly and bright.... just the way I like it.
Couple it with JM2000 and it becomes a monster.

;)

Nasally and bright my eye! It's called "full mids"! :lol: Seriously though for a Vintage 30, that's pretty much what I want to hear when I put mics in front of it. Thankfully with the mic models and EQ you can darken it up or warm it up easily. But "as is" it'll cut through a mix like you might expect it to.

I'm glad you guys like it! I'm working on a greenback cab sim too...

There was no sarcasm here.... as I said:
Nasally and bright.... just the way I like it.

OK, maybe "nasally" wasn't the right choice of words.
In any case...... I LOVE IT!

Thank You

:D

AndrewSimon said:

Thank You

I was just kidding anyway. :) Glad you like it!

Well I took some time to work on a greenback impulse tonight, but after comparing it to Jay Mitchell's impulse here, I hated the results I was getting. I'd rather just use that impulse of his with a bit of EQ (even though his isn't a greenback impulse) than try to force one of my greenback impulses to sound better.

Ok, I'm working on two more impulse files to be used as Axe-Fx cab sims: G12T-75 and greenback. I had to discard a lot of impulse files I'd made because they didn't work out properly (it seems to be largely hit-or-miss for technical reasons I don't fully understand) but I managed to save a few that were worthy of further EQing and converting to cab sims, ones which should sound as good as the V30 sim I uploaded. These two new cab sims should be done within a week or so (I'd rather not rush them, since EQing them is a very subtle thing and it's easy to lose sight of the sound I want to achieve with them).

At the moment I own no other speakers I'd want to make impulse files for...with the possible exception of Warehouse Retro 30 (currently in my personal 2x12). I may make more impulse files in the future but I'd have to have the speakers on hand and a fair bit of time to spend in the process (partially due to how many "throwaway" files I end up with for unknown technical reasons). I go through obsessive bouts where I do things like that "just because" so it's possible I'll end up with more good impulses later, but I can't say when.

JamesPeters said:
I had to discard a lot of impulse files I'd made because they didn't work out properly (it seems to be largely hit-or-miss for technical reasons I don't fully understand)
When you say "didn't work out properly," what exactly do you mean? Is it simply an issue of not getting the desired tonality, or are you getting IRs that don't look like they came from speakers?

Jay Mitchell said:
When you say "didn't work out properly," what exactly do you mean? Is it simply an issue of not getting the desired tonality, or are you getting IRs that don't look like they came from speakers?

A little of the latter but mostly the former. And this is after testing the mic positions with headphones and sometimes also recordings to verify what I'll be getting in advance. I can get good results a lot of the time, but I'm looking for excellent results or I won't want to use the impulse file.

JamesPeters said:
Ok, I'm working on two more impulse files to be used as Axe-Fx cab sims: G12T-75 and greenback. .

James,

A Greenback IR would be great!! if it`s different to those that are allready out there thats cool too, bring it on :D

JamesPeters said:
AndrewSimon said:

Thank You

I was just kidding anyway. :) Glad you like it!

Well I took some time to work on a greenback impulse tonight, but after comparing it to Jay Mitchell's impulse here, I hated the results I was getting. I'd rather just use that impulse of his with a bit of EQ (even though his isn't a greenback impulse) than try to force one of my greenback impulses to sound better.

Hey, your original V30 file (wave format) seems to be stereo?
Is it done with 2 mics?

If so I will probably split the Left and Right and create a "pair of IR's" to be used together.

:?:

AndrewSimon said:
Hey, your original V30 file (wave format) seems to be stereo?
Is it done with 2 mics?

If so I will probably split the Left and Right and create a "pair of IR's" to be used together.

:?:

Oops, I forgot the file had more of one mic on the left than the right. I thought I'd made it to be mono but with two of the same sound in both channels.

I can upload the other side...

JamesPeters said:
A little of the latter but mostly the former. And this is after testing the mic positions with headphones and sometimes also recordings to verify what I'll be getting in advance. I can get good results a lot of the time, but I'm looking for excellent results or I won't want to use the impulse file.

Sorry if this has been asked. What mic did you use, close mic'ed, far mic'ed ? Would be great to have some additional information... :) .

VegaBaby said:
Sorry if this has been asked. What mic did you use, close mic'ed, far mic'ed ? Would be great to have some additional information... :) .

SM57 and MD421, close mic'ed. Although it's more about how it was recorded than what mics were used, and how it was EQed afterwards. I could use any of a number of mics and get a similar overall sound with enough effort...and I'd probably have to delete just as many files to end up with a "keeper" as I did with these mics. I don't even own a 421 anymore.

JamesPeters said:
SM57 and MD421, close mic'ed. Although it's more about how it was recorded than what mics were used, and how it was EQed afterwards. I could use any of a number of mics and get a similar overall sound with enough effort...and I'd probably have to delete just as many files to end up with a "keeper" as I did with these mics. I don't even own a 421 anymore.

Thanks James ! I was more or less asking to check if any mic is already part of the IR sound. You're absolutely correct, all that matters is the endresult (as long as it's representative of how the cab sounds).

VegaBaby said:
Thanks James ! I was more or less asking to check if any mic is already part of the IR sound. You're absolutely correct, all that matters is the endresult (as long as it's representative of how the cab sounds).

No problem.

It's weird...with impulse responses it seems I have to keep plugging away at it until I get something that should easily be achievable in a recording, and then I have to EQ it a lot at that. But at least in the end I get an impulse response that I like.

Ok here's the other half of the stereo pair for that Vintage 30 impulse:

http://www.axechange.net/cabinet.aspx?cabinet_id=91

It's not as forward or "cutting" sounding as the other impulse.

JamesPeters said:
A little of the latter but mostly the former. And this is after testing the mic positions with headphones and sometimes also recordings to verify what I'll be getting in advance.
There's got to be a problem with your acquisition method, then. If you capture a valid IR, it will sound like what you heard in the headphones.

Are you using a swept sine as a stimulus and deconvolving the IR from the response to the sweep? The most reliable method I've found for acquiring IRs is to use a log sine sweep stimulus.

JamesPeters said:
VegaBaby said:

No problem.

It's weird...with impulse responses it seems I have to keep plugging away at it until I get something that should easily be achievable in a recording, and then I have to EQ it a lot at that. But at least in the end I get an impulse response that I like.

Ok here's the other half of the stereo pair for that Vintage 30 impulse:

http://www.axechange.net/cabinet.aspx?cabinet_id=91

It's not as forward or "cutting" sounding as the other impulse.

Got it, Thanks again

Jay Mitchell said:
There's got to be a problem with your acquisition method, then.

Oh, I don't doubt that. :) I've been through various options with how to capture the sounds (trying different things in the signal chain, different test sounds, different software) and it seems each has their drawbacks. It could be a timing issue of my soundcard or something for all I know, or a bit of background noise that creeps in periodically to ruin things (intermittent crackle in a cable maybe...who knows). Either way I'm done with the process for now; I have been for some time, but just never got around to choosing and doing the final EQ to the impulses I have. I didn't have much inspiration to get these impulses done/EQed/converted until I bought an Axe-Fx. It'll probably be a long time before I record impulse files again.

FractalAudio said:

James has an AxeFX and is capturing IRs??? Like Scott said, WOW. I'm freaked out and thrilled at the same time. Welcome James! I will definitely try your IRs asap, if you and Cliff both like them, how could I not? Thanks for doing it.

Now, how about a Peters amp model for the Axe? I'm still heavily infatuated with my Polaris and my G12-65 4x12, but sadly that rig is proving to be overkill in size\weight for my gigs. :D

Robboman said:
Now, how about a Peters amp model for the Axe?

I set my patches to sound like my Peters favourite settings... so +1 :roll: :mrgreen:

Both the clean and the distortion has to be modeled!!! :cool:

The V30 IR is awesome... :!:

Back
Top Bottom