IIC+, where's the gain?

I think it is important to keep in mind that on the actual Mark V, mkII is a "mode"...as great as it is, it will never be 100% of an actual IIc+. Same as the Mark IV mode. Great, but not exactly the same. The Mark series in General is IMHO the most "touchy" amps I ever owned

Seriously guys, thanks for all the replies and tips, but you don't have to tell me how to set up the Metallica tone on a Mark amp. I know that you need to turn down bass and mids and the obligatory V curve. i just wondered why compared to all the other models like JVM etc. the IIC+ in the Axe has one of the lowest gain reserves.

Did you get your question answered with the posts of people trying to help you?

Seriously guys, thanks for all the replies and tips, but you don't have to tell me how to set up the Metallica tone on a Mark amp. I know that you need to turn down bass and mids and the obligatory V curve. i just wondered why compared to all the other models like JVM etc. the IIC+ in the Axe has one of the lowest gain reserves.

Because the real thing does. At least it is the same on my Mkiic+

There is absolutely no need to bash the Mark 5 for not sounding close. Do you really have to use Input Trim on a IIC+ to get the gain?
I rather think it's the Axe's IIC+ that doesn't represent the truth. I do like my Axe really I just think this model is the most disappointing of all.
Would really like it to be remodelled.

I guess you must have overread this post.

It is. I just compared it to my iic+. On my real iic+ if I take the drives down to 3:00 it is not in the Petrucci/Metallica range at all. The gains match up pretty darn well here. 7-8 on both the input drive and overdrive. Master at 3 - 3.5.
I like the fat switch on.

tl;dr: The model has so little gain because the original also does.

Reactions: yek
There is absolutely no need to bash the Mark 5 for not sounding close. Do you really have to use Input Trim on a IIC+ to get the gain?
I rather think it's the Axe's IIC+ that doesn't represent the truth. I do like my Axe really I just think this model is the most disappointing of all.

Have you ever played a real IIc+?
I had a MarkV and have no problems with getting the Axe to sound and feel the same as the IIc+ mode in triode setting. Fw12.xx

As you know the Mark V only has 1 gain knob and that on the Axe corresponds to the Input Drive, not Input Trim which is in the Advanced pages.
Make sure that the Overdrive knob in the Axe is set to 8.

Last edited:

No, I didn't bash the Mark V. I don't own one.
No, I didn't use the Input trim. I used the Overdrive and Input DRIVE (different from the input trim). This is just like the controls on a real Mkiic+

If you don't like the model, you probably wouldn't like the real thing. They can be a bitch to dial in.

You can say it doesn't represent the truth but I have a mkiic+ and as far as the amount of gain on tap it is very similar to mine.

Here is what I do: If I set Overdrive and Input DRIVE both between 7-8, I barely get a crunch sound. Absolutely not in the Petrucci range. There's is a video about his new album tones on youtube where you can clearly see his settings (real IIC+ not Mark V). And he gets tons of gain from it. How is that you tell me? Just to clarify I play with a MM JP BFR so the pups are hot.

here's the link
John Petrucci/Dream Theater Studio Rig Tour 2013 - YouTube

around 1:00 min you can see the settings.

Here is what I do: If I set Overdrive and Input DRIVE both between 7-8, I barely get a crunch sound. Absolutely not in the Petrucci range. There's is a video about his new album tones on youtube where you can clearly see his settings (real IIC+ not Mark V). And he gets tons of gain from it. How is that you tell me? Just to clarify I play with a MM JP BFR so the pups are hot.

here's the link
John Petrucci/Dream Theater Studio Rig Tour 2013 - YouTube

around 1:00 min you can see the settings.

Could you post at patch. I certainly get a solid distorted sound with input gain/OD at 7-8.

Could you post at patch. I certainly get a solid distorted sound with input gain/OD at 7-8.

yes, me too. seems like there might be something else going on

here's a patch and an audio example. the first part is just amp and cab and then i engage a drive block in front of the amp, which is pretty standard parctice, imo. this isn't an attempt at a particular sort of sound, it's purely so you can download the patch and do a comparison to see if you get similar results

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/MKII_example.syx

right click and save as on the syx

sorry - my links were duff - fixed

Last edited:
OK it's in axe change under my nick, called IIC+ Rhythm. I don't know maybe I set my Input lelvels wrong or something. While I think this preset has some gain but It certainly lacks gain to be called Petruccish.

He is what my Axe-fx II Mkiic+ sounds like with input gain at 7, overdrive at 8, master at 3.5. This pretty much matches my real mkiic+ in terms of drive.

which cabs? sounds much better than my example. did you "V" the graphic as well?

OK it's in axe change under my nick, called IIC+ Rhythm. I don't know maybe I set my Input lelvels wrong or something. While I think this preset has some gain but It certainly lacks gain to be called Petruccish.

loaded the patch. It was plently distorted here. I personally would put the overdrive at 8 instead of 7.5, lower the bass a bit more, turn on the fat switch, and raise the presence. Mostly I would use a different can for that patch, it is a bit muddy.
I also have my 5 ban eq set a +5db for the out band and -4 for 750 band.

But the amount of distortion I am getting from that patch isn't far off.

which cabs? sounds much better than my example. did you "V" the graphic as well?

Petrucci cab, yes. yes, v on the graphic. It sounds better with a PEQ that is normally in front and I have a tubescreamer for a little extra bite if needed (neither was on in that example)

In the Axe, what are your input settings (I/O) like?

Back
Top Bottom