IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS!

Last month a co worker is having strange on and off again network trouble with a new laptop and dock.

He spends hours with remote IT troubleshooting and updating drivers etc. and they even send a new dock. I suggested trying a new ethernet cable, which fixes the problem.

Maybe I've been cable lucky as 99% of the time my issue at hand is not caused by cables, but, 1st thing I always check is cables since it's a causal possibility that's easy to eliminate - more often, cable plugged into wrong hole lol!

Last edited:
Good spot to repeat my NO SOUND variation...

On the II, I had defined a pedal for Global Volume.
I suspect I later powered down with the pedal down and the Axe remembering this?
A few days later I didn't have the pedal connected and couldn't get sound...
My heart sank to my stomach and I eventually had no other choice than to get the box, ready to ship to G66.
I had the box on the floor when it finally dawned on me.
(In case the Axe does not remember that setting, then I still don't know what caused it :D )

Ahhhh, several times over the years while troubleshooting network issues I've swapped out suspected bad Ethernet cables with brand new ones right out of the package that were also faulty...and the issue persisted. Thinky-pain has now entered the building. Now that will drive you even more nuts heh.

I learned that, as a rule, if I strongly suspected a cable was the cause of an issue and swapping in a brand new one didn't fix it, I'd immediately swap in another brand new one or a known good one. I've definitely run into bad cables that were new way more then I should have, and these were not cheap, crappy cables, but 'good' ones.

Amen to that.

As a software engineer by day, there’s a similar axiom: most of the time the problem is configuration-related. (Because, like hardware or firmware, software doesn’t just spontaneously stop working.) I need to remind myself this constantly when my own stuff “breaks”, because my instincts (and natural neuroses) want to “find the bug” causing the problem. Not that bugs don’t happen! It’s just a time-wasting bad habit to assume it’s all about me. Usually the problem is a missing or changed configuration item — e.g., fat-fingered misspell in a configuration text file — and I could have saved myself time and anxiety by starting there.

Back to cables — I remember an instance from years ago of double cable failure on stage. I was young and hadn’t learned good cable care techniques yet. Almost drove me insane. And even now, I have a (99% sure!) bad connector in the signal path to one speaker of one pair of studio monitors. It’s just a pain to re-cable in a tight studio where that part of the room is so difficult to physically maneuver, so I keep putting it off.

Cocked wah had me troubleshooting my old pedal board prior to the Axe FX. Drove me nuts for 2 days.
Volume pedal "down" on the Axe FX just 2 weeks ago had me thinking "This guitar worked fine yesterday. Who went in my room and fucked with it?"
Good thing I'm retired. I'm an idiot pretty regularly.

Maybe I've been cable lucky as 99% of the time my issue at hand is not caused by cables, but, 1st thing I always check is cables since it's a causal possibility that's easy to eliminate - more often, cable plugged into wrong hole lol!
I worked with a tech who had half of a production plant shut down for two days because of something like that.
He called in a tech from another state to help troubleshoot and before his coffee was cold the guy found the problem just by looking in the equipment rack. The first guy had plugged a control card in off by one slot. He had went back to it numerous times during troubleshooting but it slipped right by him.
Sometimes you can look right at it and not see it.

I’ve been playing synthesizers for 50 years. I have a fair amount of expertise.

I just got a new synth from Berlin … fantastic instrument. I just had to check it right out; plugged in the headphones, and away I went. Incredible.

After a day or so, I thought it was time to get it connected to my studio system. Got everything patched properly, but couldn’t get a signal out.

I still had a good signal at the headphone out, but nothing from the audio outs.

I still had a good signal at the headphone out. Yes, but the output knob for the synth itself was set to zero. I turned it up … genius.

This happened just a couple weeks ago. No matter how long we’ve been around, there’s no immunity from stupidity.

I’ve been playing synthesizers for 50 years. I have a fair amount of expertise.

I just got a new synth from Berlin … fantastic instrument. I just had to check it right out; plugged in the headphones, and away I went. Incredible.

After a day or so, I thought it was time to get it connected to my studio system. Got everything patched properly, but couldn’t get a signal out.

I still had a good signal at the headphone out, but nothing from the audio outs.

I still had a good signal at the headphone out. Yes, but the output knob for the synth itself was set to zero. I turned it up … genius.

This happened just a couple weeks ago. No matter how long we’ve been around, there’s no immunity from stupidity.
I feel smart with no right to, and simultaneously dumb because I should, when I figure out problems like that.
If I've been bitching and complaining about it not working, and my wife knows, I definitely have to tell her it was something much more difficult to sort out than turning a knob, flicking a switch or reading the manual.
I'd lose my "high ground" when it comes to resolving problems and forever be questioned on my knowledge, methods and ability to convince her that I'm the better problem solver in the house. I don't need that kind of conflict and scrutiny when trying to get shit done around here if you know what I mean.

Sounds like one of my F18 pilots. IFF does not work in the OFF position. Well sure it does exactly what was selected. Signed gripe off as Short between the Headset. Brass didn't like it but I didn't care.
Reminds me of a joke I heard from back in the day: "What's the difference between an F-18 and a cactus? A cactus has pricks on the outside."

I was pulling my hair out for two days trying to figure out why I was not getting a stereo signal out of my Axe-Fx. The meters moved as expected on things like a ping pong delay, but I was not hearing it on my headphones. I was getting ready to start posting questions and presets on the forum, but then I tried listening on my speakers. The speaker output was clearly in stereo. Long story short, it was the 1/8" to 1/4" TRS adapter my headphones were plugged into. I thought of this thread as soon as I figured out the problem.

Back
Top Bottom