I'd like a flat response IR

So does the [ bakerman null cab.syx ] allow me to use the Preamps in the Cab Block without getting the color (eq) of a speaker?

I want to do this so I can emulate the sound of David Gilmour's solo on Another Brick In The Wall, Pt 2 which was recorded on a Les Paul with P90's directly into the mixing desk.

from Gilmourish.com:
– solo (neck pickup); clean signal heavily gated/compressed into the mixing desk, then fed through a Mesa/Boogie amp and back into the mixing desk
Seems to me the point was to use the boards' compressor and pre before the amp, which you can do in the Axe, not eliminate the cab. You're not getting anything running the amp directly back into the board without a cab are you? Gilmour would have needed a load bank on the amp. Why bother? I'm betting there was a cab to go with that Mesa/Boogie, mixed and all, it's just not explicitly called out.

I've made such a reponse just by recording the output. My intention for that was the ability to add a microphone or the room of the cab-block to made an acoustic guitar with piezopickup sound more real.

I must be missing something here. Why would you not use an IR but instead those mic models? It will sound terrible. It's simulating a 100% FRFR speaker being miked essentially. Those mic models are not at all realistic. What are you trying to achieve?

Tone match a shunt, export to IR.

I must be missing something here. Why would you not use an IR but instead those mic models? It will sound terrible. It's simulating a 100% FRFR speaker being miked essentially. Those mic models are not at all realistic. What are you trying to achieve?

Are the mic pres potentially useful on their lonesome? I don't have an application for a null IR, TBH. :)

Are the mic pres potentially useful on their lonesome? I don't have an application for a null IR, TBH. :)

Sure they are:

That used a null IR and only the mic pre's for a direct-to-the-board-preamp sound for all the guitars.

Not sure about the mic models by themselves, but a null IR let's you use the cab block pre amp sims. E.g. with acoustic guitar.

I get what you are saying. You want to recreate (in the Axe) the classic 80's clean guitar 'DI'd through the desk' sound in the matrix THEN send it through the amp and cab block like Gilmour did in the studio on that solo.
It was very popular in the late 70's and 80's to DI something like a strat straight into the desk for clean sounds. It's only like plugging one of my guitars into the instrument input on one of my Focusrite ISA's and recording direct.

Funny, I just got a mic working with my axe this week. Today I thought to myself, I wonder if there is a flat response IR I can use with it so I could use the mic preamps in the cab block. Then I found this thread. Going to check it out tonight.

Back
Top Bottom