I'd like a flat response IR

Larry Largen

Inspired
I was thinking if you had a flat response IR that had no effect on the signal at all, you could then use the mics in the cab block for mic emulation. Any thoughts or ideas?

this has come up before, if i remember rightly. i kind of "null" IR. i'm guessing you might be ale to make one...

that's not the point. it's not supposed to sound better than a ready made cab IR. it's purely to allow for use of the proximity control.

to be honest, i don't think you really have to use the proximity control. all that does is give you a boost at 120hz. just use the graphic in the amp block instead.

I was thinking if you had a flat response IR that had no effect on the signal at all, you could then use the mics in the cab block for mic emulation. Any thoughts or ideas?

Line out to the line in and capture an ir like normal with no cab in the chain?

Line out to the line in and capture an ir like normal with no cab in the chain?

why even bother with line out and in, just leave it unplugged. Or even easier export a tone match block that isn't matched to anything. You'll need to boost the cab 2db to match the bypass level, but that is about it.

Last edited:
that's not the point. it's not supposed to sound better than a ready made cab IR. it's purely to allow for use of the proximity control.

to be honest, i don't think you really have to use the proximity control. all that does is give you a boost at 120hz. just use the graphic in the amp block instead.

It is a resonant boost, you also can move the frequency. A filter block would be better I would think. Either way would use less dsp.

I'm curious to see how the Axe FX II would work as a Vocal processor. Cliff stated that he is working on a passive EQ for the next firmware update. That got me thinking why not see if you can use the mic emulation in the cab block for vox.

A true 'flat response' is no cab at all... No cab, no eq, no boosting or cutting of any of the eq plots. As a side effect you will get that 'killer bee' type sound that all the kids rave about. ;)

A true 'flat response' is no cab at all... No cab, no eq, no boosting or cutting of any of the eq plots. As a side effect you will get that 'killer bee' type sound that all the kids rave about. ;)

Right? :D

Or ... but, wait ... if there's no cab there's no response ... err :stupid:

Get IR's Made with the Earthworks M30 or TC30 microphone. It has the flattest response possible so using the mic option in the cab is possible.

In fact, I believe all the original(non OH/non MIX/non UR) cabs were made using this mic so that you can actually use the mic filters.

These mic add very little to no eq variations to the signal so it's just the sound of the Cabinet.

I believe the original Redwirez pack has variations of all the cabs using this mic.

Here's a frequency response chart of that mic. Slight bump above 10k but you'll end up filtering that crap more than likely anyway.
http://recordinghacks.com/images/graphs/_gen/small/0/0651.png

Last edited:
The mic models are just filters.

Nothing wrong with using them in any situation. If you like it... why not? It's all about getting the result isn't it?

Yep, I really think that Earthwork's Mic based IRs are what you are looking for if you want to add the Mic filter without "double coloring" the IRs.

And some people will tell you that you should still try the mic filter even with miced IRs, but that's not good practice. It'll sound really weird and phasey.

And some people will tell you that you should still try the mic filter even with miced IRs, but that's not good practice. It'll sound really weird and phasey.

Not my experience.

I haven't tested all IR's for sure, but the mic models don't automatically not work with IR's captured with non reference mics.

For example, the 121 mic model can nicely tame the high end of any IR and give some low mid push.

So does the [ bakerman null cab.syx ] allow me to use the Preamps in the Cab Block without getting the color (eq) of a speaker?

I want to do this so I can emulate the sound of David Gilmour's solo on Another Brick In The Wall, Pt 2 which was recorded on a Les Paul with P90's directly into the mixing desk.

from Gilmourish.com:
– solo (neck pickup); clean signal heavily gated/compressed into the mixing desk, then fed through a Mesa/Boogie amp and back into the mixing desk

Back
Top Bottom