I think we will see a major product release very shortly from fractal!

Yup, totally. But I'm also not King Midas to always be able to fund the latest especially a year within splurging on the then latest. This bugs me more :D
That's exactly it. I feel it, too — that compulsion to get the latest and greatest upgrade so I can be king again. But when you get down to it, if I can't fight that compulsion within myself, that's on me. I can't blame any company for it.

Or I can bite the bullet, buy the upgrade, and sell off my old unit. The dollar difference is the price of the upgrade.

To Fractal: Keep kicking out that upgraded hardware — keep giving the next customer a better deal than I got. That's the exact opposite of what every other company is doing, and it's wonderful.

To everyone else: If you're looking for a financial investment, don't buy products — buy investments.

That's exactly it. I feel it, too — that compulsion to get the latest and greatest upgrade so I can be king again. But when you get down to it, if I can't fight that compulsion within myself, that's on me. I can't blame any company for it.

Or I can bite the bullet, buy the upgrade, and sell off my old unit. The dollar difference is the price of the upgrade.

To Fractal: Keep kicking out that upgraded hardware — keep giving the next customer a better deal than I got. That's the exact opposite of what every other company is doing, and it's wonderful.

To everyone else: If you're looking for a financial investment, don't buy products — buy investments.
100% 🤘

Announcing the Axe-Fx La Fine (pronounced "fee-nay", meaning the end)
Ultra Mega Platinum Diamond. Best and Final. Adios. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offers new simple, five step process that saves all musicians a massive number of preset building / tweaking hours...

1. Connect Axe input to music source
2. Play track into Axe-Fx IV
3. Axe automatically builds the entire preset without any tone matching
4. Plug in guitar and speakers
5. Play guitar

PS - Axe Edit is discontinued

If anyone can do it, Cliff can!

Deja Vu Echo GIF by Aurora Consulting - EIDL Consulting

With the Axe II and III I immediately jumped on the first models released and I was kinda bummed out when the newer versions (especially the II XL/XL+ and III Mark II and Turbo) came out which wasn't the case with the Ultra before. Always went the same route: sold the older model with quite a loss to get the new one with quite a markup (I live in Europe so it's even worse here). Even moreso because with the III, the Mark II came within ~2 years of the original and the Turbo came within ~1 year of the Mark II...
So now I've learnt from it and in case an Axe IV comes out I think I'll hold back for a while and wait for at least the second iteration. Which is kind of a bummer because obviously everybody wants the latest and greatest right now but I don't appreciate the new and fancy model quickly going obsolete when the slightly better newer one drops. And to me 1 or 2 years is pretty effing quick, 1 year is pretty much Apple tempo :D
I know, I know.. I shouldn't expect any retention of value with units like these compared to guitars for example but I've always certainly felt disappointed with the kind of rapid devaluation of the model that was the latest and greatest just an hour ago.
Well as the XL+, mark2 and Turbo added absolutely nothing to the sound and I don't ever get to 95%cpu the only hardware upgrade would be the next full release. I see absolutely no reason to go with any of these iterations . Many companies wouldn't even mention the mark 2 alterations because they are practically irrelevant and turbo only if you are constantly over 90%cpu.

Wouldn't it be something if Cliff came out with something completely out of left field like a guitar modeler similar to the L6 Variax, except done the right way?!
This is a terrible idea.
The ONLY way you should put digital in a guitar is in a retro fit pickup and then everything else outboard. If you could make a single coil and humbucker size hex pickup you could do it but putting these things in the guitar is to put a use by date on a guitar. Great musical instruments are timeless and this tech will never have anything other than a short life.

Well as the XL+, mark2 and Turbo added absolutely nothing to the sound and I don't ever get to 95%cpu the only hardware upgrade would be the next full release. I see absolutely no reason to go with any of these iterations . Many companies wouldn't even mention the mark 2 alterations because they are practically irrelevant and turbo only if you are constantly over 90%cpu.
I think many people who use complex fx chains with multiple amps in a single preset really benefited from the Turbo. Granted, there's no difference sound-wise but having extra CPU headroom when you need it is always nice. Now whether it's worth to upgrade from a Mark II, maybe not, but still, if you're in that niche you'll definitely upgrade. But that still wasn't the point of my post - I was talking about the devaluation the former units instantly go through when the new one is released.

I think many people who use complex fx chains with multiple amps in a single preset really benefited from the Turbo. Granted, there's no difference sound-wise but having extra CPU headroom when you need it is always nice. Now whether it's worth to upgrade from a Mark II, maybe not, but still, if you're in that niche you'll definitely upgrade. But that still wasn't the point of my post - I was talking about the devaluation the former units instantly go through when the new one is released.
By that niche you mean the sort of person who buys a new car every year (the same model). Do you need the CPU of the turbo ????

With the Axe II and III I immediately jumped on the first models released and I was kinda bummed out when the newer versions (especially the II XL/XL+ and III Mark II and Turbo) came out which wasn't the case with the Ultra before. Always went the same route: sold the older model with quite a loss to get the new one with quite a markup (I live in Europe so it's even worse here). Even moreso because with the III, the Mark II came within ~2 years of the original and the Turbo came within ~1 year of the Mark II...
So now I've learnt from it and in case an Axe IV comes out I think I'll hold back for a while and wait for at least the second iteration. Which is kind of a bummer because obviously everybody wants the latest and greatest right now but I don't appreciate the new and fancy model quickly going obsolete when the slightly better newer one drops. And to me 1 or 2 years is pretty effing quick, 1 year is pretty much Apple tempo :D
I know, I know.. I shouldn't expect any retention of value with units like these compared to guitars for example but I've always certainly felt disappointed with the kind of rapid devaluation of the model that was the latest and greatest just an hour ago.
actually, it´s quite a good idea not to get next generation right away.
When III came out, there were comparisons how it sounded basically the same as II or AX8.
It was only after fw 12 or so, when you could hear some difference between the III and II/AX8.
Then I think at fw 15 when ares was at the end of it´s cycle, you could clearly hear the difference, when compared to older units.
That was already around the time, when III Mk2 came out, so I decided to upgrade and I haven´t missed anything with not getting AXE III mk1.

This is a terrible idea.
The ONLY way you should put digital in a guitar is in a retro fit pickup and then everything else outboard. If you could make a single coil and humbucker size hex pickup you could do it but putting these things in the guitar is to put a use by date on a guitar. Great musical instruments are timeless and this tech will never have anything other than a short life.

Yes, the Variax is a terrible idea. But Roland V-Guitar is nothing but a short-live. Just have a look to vguitarforums.com. I dream with a VG99/SY-1000 with Fractal Audio quality.

Since Electro-Harmonix has already developed an interesting way of polyphonic modeling without the need of a hex-pickup (MEL9, SYNTH9, STRING9, BASS9, C9, KEY9, B9) what would be really interesting is that the good Mike Matthews agreed to join hands with Fractal Audio. Cliff already made him an offer to buy EHX, but he declined it. (He commented that a while ago, but I cannot find the post)

Last edited:
actually, it´s quite a good idea not to get next generation right away.
When III came out, there were comparisons how it sounded basically the same as II or AX8.
It was only after fw 12 or so, when you could hear some difference between the III and II/AX8.
Then I think at fw 15 when ares was at the end of it´s cycle, you could clearly hear the difference, when compared to older units.
That was already around the time, when III Mk2 came out, so I decided to upgrade and I haven´t missed anything with not getting AXE III mk1.
Except the interface and connectivity massive upgrade . The mk 2 and turbo however add nothing to the sound. The next time it will be more difficult because there are no easy hardware fixes like last time.

Except the interface and connectivity massive upgrade . The mk 2 and turbo however add nothing to the sound. The next time it will be more difficult because there are no easy hardware fixes like last time.
sure, more I/O, but in terms of sound, one could wait 1-2 years and then uprage to MK2 without loosing anything.

Back
Top Bottom