I think we will see a major product release very shortly from fractal!

As Frank Zappa says in Cosmic Debris, "There is nothing this box won't do" :)

That said, the only things I could see would be

- something between the FM3 and FM9. An FM6 with a smaller footprint perhaps
-Anything focused on the UI to make it easier to adjust in a live situation.With Apple's move to M1/Silicon, an iPad version of Axe Edit could make things more tweakable when a PC is not available. I know there are alternatives out there for this which are great, but those familiar with using Axe Edit would probably adopt it quicker.

I'm hoping the next release is cablab4 with Dynacab mixing capability - I love DCs but I miss my old standard of having 2 hard panned 121/57 mixes in 2 slots. With DC currently I have to use 4 slots with 2 mic max per side.

I'm hoping the next release is cablab4 with Dynacab mixing capability - I love DCs but I miss my old standard of having 2 hard panned 121/57 mixes in 2 slots. With DC currently I have to use 4 slots with 2 mic max per side.
And DC also takes more CPU, so being able to export to IR's after you find your settings would be nice. I've been meaning to try to do that by capturing my FM9 with my Axe FX III but haven't had the time or motivation.

The other problem with digital gear is no one wants to have the old version no matter how good it is. It's not like an amp. I wonder if Kemper sell anything much anymore because anyone thinking about getting one will half expect Mk 2 to drop a week after they buy it and this is a very difficult position for the business. I get round this by buying the flagship model when it comes out and pass on all the tweaked updated versions waiting for the next fully new iteration . My next FAS purchase will be Axe 4 not XXLpluss mega 3 with disco light LEDs.

Unlikely IMHO. Not least of all due to the shortage of some electrical components not being readily available.
The supply chain is largely back to normal for the vast majority of electronic parts and chips, at least from my vantage point (wife works in automotive, I work for a company that makes smartphones as a hobby).

As Frank Zappa says in Cosmic Debris, "There is nothing this box won't do" :)

That said, the only things I could see would be

- something between the FM3 and FM9. An FM6 with a smaller footprint perhaps
-Anything focused on the UI to make it easier to adjust in a live situation.With Apple's move to M1/Silicon, an iPad version of Axe Edit could make things more tweakable when a PC is not available. I know there are alternatives out there for this which are great, but those familiar with using Axe Edit would probably adopt it quicker.
i Said that to the wife once: "There is nothing this box won't do"
i then found out what a dog box was.

The only thing that I could wish for in the whole World would be that Fractal could add a snakeskin-covered Soldano to the amp lineup. I am led to believe that the new Fender thing (which seems to be stirring up a lot of interest) has the sound of a black tolex-covered one, which is possibly cool but could be bettered. My memory might be playing tricks on me but I am certain that I read somewhere that George Lynch (?) or the guitarist out of Ratt said that the "snakeskin covering" added a certain amount of "oomph" to the sound.

200629359728003f.jpg

The only thing that I could wish for in the whole World would be that Fractal could add a snakeskin-covered Soldano to the amp lineup. I am led to believe that the new Fender thing (which seems to be stirring up a lot of interest) has the sound of a black tolex-covered one, which is possibly cool but could be bettered. My memory might be playing tricks on me but I am certain that I read somewhere that George Lynch (?) or the guitarist out of Ratt said that the "snakeskin covering" added a certain amount of "oomph" to the sound.

View attachment 127514
but when you have a plastic head enclosure, you can hear a pronounced high note coming from the left speaker, its amazing. i really hope fractal consider adding plastic amp heads to the list so we can get those amazing treble notes.

Attachments

• fa823_polypropylenegncontainer3.jpg
    fa823_polypropylenegncontainer3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
The other problem with digital gear is no one wants to have the old version no matter how good it is. It's not like an amp. I wonder if Kemper sell anything much anymore because anyone thinking about getting one will half expect Mk 2 to drop a week after they buy it and this is a very difficult position for the business. I get round this by buying the flagship model when it comes out and pass on all the tweaked updated versions waiting for the next fully new iteration . My next FAS purchase will be Axe 4 not XXLpluss mega 3 with disco light LEDs.
With the Axe II and III I immediately jumped on the first models released and I was kinda bummed out when the newer versions (especially the II XL/XL+ and III Mark II and Turbo) came out which wasn't the case with the Ultra before. Always went the same route: sold the older model with quite a loss to get the new one with quite a markup (I live in Europe so it's even worse here). Even moreso because with the III, the Mark II came within ~2 years of the original and the Turbo came within ~1 year of the Mark II...
So now I've learnt from it and in case an Axe IV comes out I think I'll hold back for a while and wait for at least the second iteration. Which is kind of a bummer because obviously everybody wants the latest and greatest right now but I don't appreciate the new and fancy model quickly going obsolete when the slightly better newer one drops. And to me 1 or 2 years is pretty effing quick, 1 year is pretty much Apple tempo :D
I know, I know.. I shouldn't expect any retention of value with units like these compared to guitars for example but I've always certainly felt disappointed with the kind of rapid devaluation of the model that was the latest and greatest just an hour ago.

they don't go obsolete - my III mk1 still gets updates years after mk2/T. My II mk1 got updates years after the XL+
Yeah, sure - certainly not feature-wise and getting updates is much appreciated, I was talking about value - maybe I should have said "going depreciated". English is not my mother tongue :)

All this talk of losing resale value on a device that still holds its resale value better than any competing brand... Let’s say what the real issue is when an upgrade comes along; “I don’t own the absolute best anymore, and that bugs me.”

Last edited:
And DC also takes more CPU, so being able to export to IR's after you find your settings would be nice. I've been meaning to try to do that by capturing my FM9 with my Axe FX III but haven't had the time or motivation.
They actually don't... Maybe because you want to use multiples, but a single DC uses less than an (at least) an UltraRes IR.

No argument about being able to mix in CabLab, though!

I'd LOVE to see a return to an FX8 type product: A pedalboard multi-fx, TRS amp switching capabilities, with all DSP going to effects (things like the FX3 synth block and pitch shifting, etc). An 'FX6' between the size of an FM3 and and FM9 for the guys that like their traditional amps but want the fractal to handle all effects and be the control centre. The HX Effects is like 5 years old now and still sells well because it can do these things. I have no doubt Fractal could do it very well.

All this talk of losing resale value on a device that still holds its resale value better than any competing brand... Let’s say what the real issue is when an upgrade comes along; “I don’t own the absolute best anymore, and that bugs me.”
Yup, totally. But I'm also not King Midas to always be able to fund the latest especially a year within splurging on the then latest. This bugs me more :D

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom