I never worry about my Fractal gear

Inside was well north of 100 , while it may not fail immediately in those conditions , it definitely affects longevity before a failure.
As long as you stay within the regular operating temperature limits you can expect no change in longevity in either direction, less or more.

Up, as a Bostonian I can tell you....I hope has a better plan than most musicians out here.
There are no fortunes to be had (in the music scene).
Thankfully he’s a smart engineering manager. :)

FWIW, the AX8 Owner's Manual (v6.0.1) says:

"Operating Temperature: 32 to 122 °F (0 to 50 °C)"
Some white magnetic material cut to cover unused space could reduce direct sun temp. Black is great everywhere except in the sun. I wonder if anyone has rigged a temp monitor inside the enclosure.

As long as you stay within the regular operating temperature limits you can expect no change in longevity in either direction, less or more.

Sorry Ian , no offense , but this simply isnt true.
Heat rise in electronic equipment directly affects product reliability. This isnt something new and is well known, and while maybe running it in 100+ deg direct heat once wont affect it so much , but continually it certainly will , when compared to a unit not subjected to that kind of heat.

Sorry Ian , no offense , but this simply isnt true.
Heat rise in electronic equipment directly affects product reliability. This isnt something new and is well known, and while maybe running it in 100+ deg direct heat once wont affect it so much , but continually it certainly will , when compared to a unit not subjected to that kind of heat.
No offense taken.

Allow me to restate what I said as a question: can you quantify the change in MTTF or MTBF having run an AX8 in 100ºF ambient temperatures for 4h vs. having run it for 4h in 60ºF ambient temperatures? For 4h in 40ºF ambient temperatures?

You cannot. Ergo, my statement stands as true. Yes, heat is bad for electronics, but to be meaningfully and measurable bad you have to expose it continuously and for significant periods of time to higher operating temperatures. Something that just isn't practically true for how this equipment is used.

Hence , my statement above indicating "continually". I really dont need to quantify change in MTBF to state heat directly affects reliability.
Sorry Ian, but asking me to show data regarding MTBF on the AX8 and not having it doesnt show your statement to be true. Perhaps the AX8 defies the physics involved and common engineering facts regarding heat... I dont think so.
Thanks for your opinion.

Ok...What would you know about the AX8?? LOL.... Sorry , had to say that...

Thanks Ian for sicking Fractal on me... :)

Regardless of MTBF , I do love the product. I have already convinced 2 to buy it so far... :)

Ok...What would you know about the AX8?? LOL.... Sorry , had to say that...

Thanks Ian for sicking Fractal on me... :)

Regardless of MTBF , I do love the product. I have already convinced 2 to buy it so far... :)
I think you and I weren't actually disagreeing. I agree that prolonged exposure to high temperatures changes the lifetime expectancy and failure intervals of electronics. But practically speaking, that isn't how the product is used. So you shouldn't worry about reducing its life expectency because it's 90º in the room you're playing in tonight instead of 60º. Practically, there's no way to measure the incredibly small change in the failure interval that might occur because of that ambient temperature difference for such a short exposure time.

I'd hate to think someone is avoiding using their incredibly rugged Fractal gear because they're worried about heat and the effect on electrical components. There's no real reason to.

We know they do very well at antarctic temperatures as well. Metallica used them there. :)

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 5.07.49 PM.png

No issues at all. No ghosting or bleeding. The transflective screen meant I could make it out too, even with the polarized sunglasses on.
Good to know. At some point each summer, I wind up on a black uncovered stage in the middle of Vegas summer. My old VG-88's display would go black. An infrared thermometer showed the case at around 120 degrees on the hottest days. Black box on a black stage with in direct desert sun with no breeze. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom