I can't make a clean sound out of the Marshall Silver Jubilee ?

Abboehm

Hi.
(Forgive me, I am new at this.)

I own a real life Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555. The thing I really like about the amp is that is has a very nice clean as well as a nice aggressive crunch. I know that most people only care for its dirty tones, but believe me, the cleans are amazing as well, especially compared to other Marshalls.

My problem is, that I don't know how to change the AXE FX 2-preset into clean?

The way I have tried, is to set the "Input Drive" to 1.00, but it isn't enough. The sound is still too distorted.

Could you guys please point me in the right "clean" direction?

THX

A

take out the COMP here - a CF (cathode follower) was not used in this design (although the non linear "CF-distortion" is only hearable on picking attacks ;) ). One of the few modern marshall designs, without CF. The circuit itself is also not similar to the normal 22xx JCM800 designs.....technically speaking!

Too complex for me sorry:) is it possible to get good cleans from brit silver or jcm800 models, are they modeled also for clean purposes?

take out the COMP here - a CF (cathode follower) was not used in this design (although the non linear "CF-distortion" is only hearable on picking attacks ;) ). One of the few modern marshall designs, without CF. The circuit itself is also not similar to the normal 22xx JCM800 designs.....technically speaking!

Too complex for me sorry:) is it possible to get good cleans from brit silver or jcm800 models, are modeled also for clean purposes?

Sorry for the confusion ;)

Not really - neither the brit silver or 800s were modeled by their clean channel - it's more about their different drive characteristics what we got on the AxeFx. There might be other clean tones from other amp models that came close to your amp.

Hope you find some workaround for you!

Cheers
Paco

Hi.
(Forgive me,am new at this.)

I own a real life Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555. The thing I really like about the amp is that is has a very nice clean as well as a nice aggressive crunch. I know that most people only care for its dirty tones, but believe me, the cleans are amazing as well, especially compared to other Marshalls.

My problem is, that I don't know how to change the AXE FX 2-preset into clean?

The way I have tried, is to set the "Input Drive" to 1.00, but it isn't enough. The sound is still too distorted.

Could you guys please point me in the right "clean" direction?

THX

A

Reduce the input trim in the advanced tab.

Clarky gets excellent clean tones from the JCM800 model.

AS has been said - reduce the master volume, master volume trim and/or the input trim as well as the input drive. WEll obviously dont set them all to minimum lol, but try them all individually, or some reduction of all and find what suits you best.

Last edited:
yes, the jubilee has two channels - clean and drive. only the drive channel has been modelled, so it will be difficult to make it sound like the clean channel. if you scroll through the amp list, you will see that several amps have multiple entries for different channels. it might be worth experimenting with something like shiver clean

The Jcm800 doesn't have a clean channel. To emulate the low sensitivity input ( the easy way to get a decent clean from my real JCM800) is to set the input trim to minimum (.1). That seems to match my JCM800s low sensitivity input pretty spot on. Set the drive low and the master higher. Adjust the level to compensate.

good luck getting a decent clean with the jubilee lead channel. The other channel isn't really a clean channel but the rhythm channel (although you can get a clean out of it)

Thank you so much for all the replies. I finally managed to get useful clean tone, but to do so, I also had to adjust the guitar settings. I'm heavily rolling back the volume pot on my bridge PU (Gibson Humbucker set to 5). But Hey, it's working fine now. I was actually going to upload a screen shot of the amp setting, but for some reason the uploader wont acknowledge my file even though it is in fact a png. 148 kb ...

The clean channel is not modeled. There are a wealth of clean models in there that are, IMO, much better than the clean channel in a Silver Jubilee.

You can get a nice clean sound out of a real jcm800 but you kinda have to work at it. With the pre about half way and the master about half way you can roll of the gtr vol and get a pretty usable clean, especially if you have a volume with tone pot of the gtr. Non master marshalls get glorious cleans and running the pre down and master up on the jcm800 is simulating the way the non master marshalls work. This is great in the axe fx because volume is not an issue. A jcm with pre at noon and master at noon is cranked.

You can get a nice clean sound out of a real jcm800 but you kinda have to work at it. With the pre about half way and the master about half way you can roll of the gtr vol and get a pretty usable clean, especially if you have a volume with tone pot of the gtr. Non master marshalls get glorious cleans and running the pre down and master up on the jcm800 is simulating the way the non master marshalls work. This is great in the axe fx because volume is not an issue. A jcm with pre at noon and master at noon is cranked.

use the low sensitivity input on the real thing.

turn input trim to minimum on the model to match the real
low sensitivity input

For me, the real amp looses something on the low sensitivity input. However, you are certainly right; you can get clean on that input. The beauty of the Jcm 800 (for me) is running it loud enough to start the output to clip and the pre amp just hard enough to get it to clip. On my Jcm 800 that equates to noon on the pre and noon on the master. It is a glorious crunch that goes into endless sustain with a tube screamer. Roll back on the gtr volume and really decent cleans are there with minimal volume loss. The downside is that this is as loud as that amp gets. It is loud. Let me say it another way...that damn thing is loud!!! That is also a vital part of the sound. Imho. Lots of ways to make music!

I am still on the ultra and I have been able to get pretty close to my marshall sound but only at the same volume levels and into the same cab. Turn the spl down and some of the magic goes away. I tend to compensate by adding more gain/distortion but that also tends to take away from the dynamic of the amp in a not so good way.

I am sure I need an axe II but every time a bring it up my wife reminds me that if I get to spend 2+k, so does she. So, a new axe is gonna run me in the neighborhood of 5k.

The Jcm800 doesn't have a clean channel. To emulate the low sensitivity input ( the easy way to get a decent clean from my real JCM800) is to set the input trim to minimum (.1). That seems to match my JCM800s low sensitivity input pretty spot on. Set the drive low and the master higher. Adjust the level to compensate.

good luck getting a decent clean with the jubilee lead channel. The other channel isn't really a clean channel but the rhythm channel (although you can get a clean out of it)

... actually my JCM-800 Model 2210 had both clean and dirty channels...

Back
Top Bottom