I am looking for a good electric piano for home use

SpudMan

Inspired
I want to add an electric piano to my home "studio". I like the Fender Rhodes in the past and if the new models weren't $10k would maybe look into it. I am not really looking for the synth stuff, just a piano that sounds more acoustic than digital. Does anyone here also play piano, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations? I am willing to spend a few thousand and have looked at Nord but really the only Nord I have seen that comes close to having more acoustic piano sounds is the Nord Grand, the Piano 5 sounds a bit too digital to me.
Any suggestions or input are appreciated. I initially thought of just buying a cheap starter piano but I prefer something that would be better quality and sound.

Lot of options especially given your budget. How many keys you want? weighted? semi-weighted? onboard sounds on a lot of keyboards for acoustic Piano are mediocre to pretty great depending on brand. I've been a long time Yamaha keyboard user and have been pretty happy with the AP sounds. I currently have a 61 key Yamaha MODX and for because I come from a classical background in piano i have Native Instruments S88 for weighted /full sized. And run lots of different VSTs. I often use both or mix the on board AP sounds from the Yamaha and use Native Instruments piano VST's and Keyscape among others. If you're not averse to relying on your computer and software...the VST route and a good midi keyboard (weighted /semi weighted -- whatever you prefer) is maybe the route to go vs paying premium dollar for a keyboard with onboard sequencers and loads of bells and whistles you may not need or use.

Lot of options especially given your budget. How many keys you want? weighted? semi-weighted? onboard sounds on a lot of keyboards for acoustic Piano are mediocre to pretty great depending on brand. I've been a long time Yamaha keyboard user and have been pretty happy with the AP sounds. I currently have a 61 key Yamaha MODX and for because I come from a classical background in piano i have Native Instruments S88 for weighted /full sized. And run lots of different VSTs. I often use both or mix the on board AP sounds from the Yamaha and use Native Instruments piano VST's and Keyscape among others. If you're not averse to relying on your computer and software...the VST route and a good midi keyboard (weighted /semi weighted -- whatever you prefer) is maybe the route to go vs paying premium dollar for a keyboard with onboard sequencers and loads of bells and whistles you may not need or use.
Not sure on the number of keys. Long ago as a child I played an upright, an Acrosonic, I sold it many years ago as hauling it around was too difficult. I am most focused on the acoustic piano sound and not looking for a huge array of digital sounds as for that I would likely go with a synth. So I don't have a number of keys preference but I assume for the most "authentic" experience akin to playing a grand or upright, 88 keys would be it. But the Rhodes has 73 keys so perhaps that is fine.
I am totally open to a midi keyboard and as to keys type, I tend to play hard on most everything so not knowing, but guessing, I am assuming weighted keys are more tolerant of "pounding", or is it the opposite?
Any suggestions for a good midi keyboard would be greatly appreciated! Your input is always appreciated.

I am thinking this is a great option. If I were to buy the Native Instuments Komplete Kontrol S88 would you recommend getting Keyscape immediately, or would it be useful on it's own to start? I am thinking probably to buy both. I really do like this option, and if I am correct, seems like a midi keyboard could be used with the FM3?

I guess the real question also is does the Native Instruments midi support Keyscape? It isn't mentioned on the Native Instuments site.

Last edited:
I've also been researching a similar buy.

At the moment, I'm looking into the Casio Privia S1100 and S3100. 88 fully-weighted keys, good variety of sounds, and compact for a full-size keyboard. Can also be connected to MIDI sound modules or to computer via USB to play virtual instruments. Cost is well under $1k US.

If 73 keys are enough, the Korg SV2-73S is great fun! Knobs for settings, wonderful piano tones and lots of funky e-piano sounds too. Love mine, and it's simple to use!

If 73 keys are enough, the Korg SV2-73S is great fun! Knobs for settings, wonderful piano tones and lots of funky e-piano sounds too. Love mine, and it's simple to use!
Looks nice but it is above my budget. Thanks though for the suggestion. I am trying to decide between a midi keyboard and a digital piano and still confused.

Its hard to suggest something as it seems you're not sure what you really need or want. To me, there are 3 routes to go:
1) a standalone digital piano. no computer no fussing. just turn on and enjoy
2) keyboard/workstation. so many to choose from. and in this category many sizes from 49 to full 88 and then you have to figure out if you want keyboard action or piano like (weighted keys) these can be standalone (has internal sounds) no computer needed or integrated to use with computer and midi to double as 'midi controllers' to control VST's like keyscape etc etc
3) a straight up Midi keyboard that has no internal sounds. there are so many in this category to choose from. sizes...keyboard action to weighted etc. you absolutely will need to be connected to a computer and it will be used to control software VST's.

in order it goes from simple no fuss connections to as complicated as you want it to get.

Looks nice but it is above my budget. Thanks though for the suggestion. I am trying to decide between a midi keyboard and a digital piano and still confused.
If you're uncertain, that's all the more reason to get a separate midi keyboard and virtual instrument. That makes it easier to change your mind later and replace one or the other. You can't go wrong with a Komplete Kontrol A61. Five octave semi-weighted with good feel and quality for under $300.

Its hard to suggest something as it seems you're not sure what you really need or want. To me, there are 3 routes to go:
1) a standalone digital piano. no computer no fussing. just turn on and enjoy
2) keyboard/workstation. so many to choose from. and in this category many sizes from 49 to full 88 and then you have to figure out if you want keyboard action or piano like (weighted keys) these can be standalone (has internal sounds) no computer needed or integrated to use with computer and midi to double as 'midi controllers' to control VST's like keyscape etc etc
3) a straight up Midi keyboard that has no internal sounds. there are so many in this category to choose from. sizes...keyboard action to weighted etc. you absolutely will need to be connected to a computer and it will be used to control software VST's.

in order it goes from simple no fuss connections to as complicated as you want it to get.
I noticed there is a local dealer that has all types of pianos from Grand to digital. I am now leaning back towards a digital piano as I am most focused on playing the piano and not so much on music production. It is a bit above my desired budget but I am interested in the Yamaha P-515 digital paino. Seems like a good "compromise" in terms of features and quality. There is also the CK-88 but the P-515 just seems like something that might be more long term in terms of features.
Apologies for my being so confused on this and other things. It is hard to know and learn. I think today I am going to go into the local piano store and check out the piano's in person.
Thanks for all of your help.

Yep only so much theorizing one can do and getting your hands on a bunch of different models in a store will really help you narrow it down. It can be daunting to choose with all the tech avail these days. Good luck! let us know what you end up with

If you're uncertain, that's all the more reason to get a separate midi keyboard and virtual instrument. That makes it easier to change your mind later and replace one or the other. You can't go wrong with a Komplete Kontrol A61. Five octave semi-weighted with good feel and quality for under $300.
I looked at this but from the Youtube videos it seems more directed towards synth sounds and music production. What I am focused on primarily is piano. If/when I buy a synth it will be something else like a Moog or Nord or ... Not sure on that as it is another can of worms!

Yep only so much theorizing one can do and getting your hands on a bunch of different models in a store will really help you narrow it down. It can be daunting to choose with all the tech avail these days. Good luck! let us know what you end up with
I will let you know, and again thank you so much for your help.

FWIW, my experience with Keyscape has been extremely gratifying, from great Rhodes to Grand Pianos, with much more..
whatever you choose, strongly recommend a keyboard with MIDI .

Back
Top Bottom