I am looking for a good electric piano for home use

Hi Spudman,
No worries at all - I should add that they have midi ports too, so you can use them as a controller for whatever sounds take your fancy. What I like about them, is that they appear to have had serious design influences from piano players, so the feel and play very well.
My friend and I went out to buy digital pianos - she got a midrange Yamaha clip, and I got a high range Casio - still kicking myself because hers is so much better in all aspects.

Thanks
Pauly
Thanks! So does the Yamaha Clavinova CLP725 then have the capability to function similar to the P-S500? If so, the build quality on the P-S500 seemed much better than the P-S500.

Hi again,
I’m not an expert so will have to let you figure that out! Not sure what functionality you are referring to?
Thanks
Pauly
Thanks! So does the Yamaha Clavinova CLP725 then have the capability to function similar to the P-S500? If so, the build quality on the P-S500 seemed much better than the P-S500.

timely, on my Instagram feed Native Instruments just announced release of new S series keyboards. go figure. uggggggh. must resist. aftertouch is now standard...that's the one thing I'm missing on mine
Just curious, for a new user would aftertouch be something worth waiting until October 31 and spending $400 more? Clearly vendors are clearing out the MK2 versions which don't have the aftertouch. If that is a feature worth waiting for I don't mind spending the additional money, but if it isn't .....
I read up on it and understand what it does, but am not sure how important it is. Here I should mention that if I go the midi route, I would ultimately like to add a modular synth to it. I am thinking maybe aftertouch would be more important with the synth?

Not to muddy the waters but here's my experience diving into the keyboard world. I dabbled on the piano as a kid, Story and Clark upright, so the feel was important to me. I've used the Arturia Keylab 88 MkII and own a Yamaha DGX-660 Portable Grand. Granted, I was looking for more than just piano sounds, but the Yamaha DGX-660 has been exactly what I wanted - a pretty realistic piano feel, great piano sounds as well as hundreds of other really good sounds. The Arturia may have the edge on feel, but it wasn't a $400 difference to me.

The big plus I discovered later with the DGX-660 is it can be used as a MIDI controller so I can use it with all of the software synths, keyboards and instruments I have.

Not to muddy the waters but here's my experience diving into the keyboard world. I dabbled on the piano as a kid, Story and Clark upright, so the feel was important to me. I've used the Arturia Keylab 88 MkII and own a Yamaha DGX-660 Portable Grand. Granted, I was looking for more than just piano sounds, but the Yamaha DGX-660 has been exactly what I wanted - a pretty realistic piano feel, great piano sounds as well as hundreds of other really good sounds. The Arturia may have the edge on feel, but it wasn't a $400 difference to me.

The big plus I discovered later with the DGX-660 is it can be used as a MIDI controller so I can use it with all of the software synths, keyboards and instruments I have.
I believe I played this one yesterday at the store. It was really nice as you say. Others looked "better" but I played this one first and was impressed with how piano like it was. Looks like it has been superseeded by a newer version, cgx670b. It is one I will consider.

I guess in my limited knowledge my understanding was the Native Instruments Komplete Controller is a midi keyboard controller, and something like the Yamaha P-S500 is a Smart Digital Piano. Is that not correct? One has more of an internal sound engine, one relies on external inputs for sounds?
Yes, that's right. In my experience ... A MIDI controller usually won't have built-in sounds. However, a digital piano often has MIDI or USB connections so that you can play external sounds modules, plug-in instruments, etc (just like you would with a MIDI controller). But, the digital piano may lack the control knobs, slides, or pads you often find on a MIDI controller.

Yes, that's right. In my experience ... A MIDI controller usually won't have built-in sounds. However, a digital piano often has MIDI or USB connections so that you can play external sounds modules, plug-in instruments, etc (just like you would with a MIDI controller). But, the digital piano may lack the control knobs, slides, or pads you often find on a MIDI controller.
So I just watched the video for the NI Komplete Kontrol MK3 and if I am correct it seems very focused on lots of sounds and control of them, which is nice, but not my primary reason for buying. I do like the idea of different sounds, but I want to be able to turn it on and play the piano, and also have the capability of using plugins like Keyscape. If I am correct, the Yamaha digital pianos like the DGX-670 and P-515 would allow me to do that, and to use it as a midi controller. If so, I am leaning back towards the digital piano. The DGX-670 seems like good value if I am right and it allows for playing piano out of the box, but also can be a midi controller.

All depends on where you gonna spend your time… If you’re going to play piano and want weighted keys then go that way.

If you’re going to work with a DAW more often and use the keyboard as an interface to all the virtual instruments, that’s different.

Also having the other onboard controls to interact with a DAW, like direct access to the faders and what not, is worth it for me.

Used to drive this (early 90s) …

IMG_1536.jpeg

now just this:

IMG_2066.jpeg

All depends on where you gonna spend your time… If you’re going to play piano and want weighted keys then go that way.

If you’re going to work with a DAW more often and use the keyboard as an interface to all the virtual instruments, that’s different.

Also having the other onboard controls to interact with a DAW, like direct access to the faders and what not, is worth it for me.

Used to drive this (early 90s) …

View attachment 126677

now just this:

View attachment 126676
Makes sense. I might use a DAW, currently I am using Reaper, but I am definitely not thinking of doing complex production and arranging. I really want to focus on piano playing, but have the option of creating other sounds.

If I now intend to buy keyboard I probably would buy AKAI.
Looks interesting keyboard and works also with DAWs etc.

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-key-61

Some piano sounds in AKAI

There is also rhodes sounds etc.

In EU area price is about 1555 €

But I have my Korg Pa4X and that works fine as midi keyboard too and standalone workstation keyboard.
Pa4x have enough and lots of features. Newer version is Pa5X which have some newer things like pads.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa5x/

Last edited:
If I now intend to buy keyboard I probably would buy AKAI.
Looks interesting keyboard and works also with DAWs etc.

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-key-61

In EU area price is about 1555 €

But I have my Korg Pa4X and that works fine as midi keyboard too and standalone workstation keyboard.
Pa4x have enough and lots of features. Newer version is Pa5X which have some newer things like pads.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa5x/
The Korg looks beautiful. It is in nosebleed territory in terms of my budget. Sigh.

Looks like there are two of them, one around $450 and one around $999. Which one are you referring to?
And now my decision making process is boiling down to midi vs. smart digital piano. This is what I have to research further and decide.
I have the SL Grand which is the more expensive one. I think the SL studio is the cheaper one. If I remember correctly, the big difference is in the feel of the hammer action keys. I think the Grand has wooden keys and a different hammer action with a more acoustic piano feel. While the Studio is a bit quicker, plastic keys (?), still hammer action, but maybe better suited for synth stuff, too. adminm@'s suggestion is probably very good too.

As with guitars, I feel like midrange gear is solid and should be useful for anyone. So, many of the suggestions would likely serve you well. It's more about what one does with the instrument than the instrument itself. For instance, Domi, from Domi and JD Beck, was using a cheapo m audio midi controller (which I really disliked the feel of) for a few years, and playing better than most of the world. But she's a freak of nature.

I have the SL Grand which is the more expensive one. I think the SL studio is the cheaper one. If I remember correctly, the big difference is in the feel of the hammer action keys. I think the Grand has wooden keys and a different hammer action with a more acoustic piano feel. While the Studio is a bit quicker, plastic keys (?), still hammer action, but maybe better suited for synth stuff, too. adminm@'s suggestion is probably very good too.

As with guitars, I feel like midrange gear is solid and should be useful for anyone. So, many of the suggestions would likely serve you well. It's more about what one does with the instrument than the instrument itself. For instance, Domi, from Domi and JD Beck, was using a cheapo m audio midi controller (which I really disliked the feel of) for a few years, and playing better than most of the world. But she's a freak of nature.
Indeed! I always say that Lance Armstrong could beat me in a race if I were on an expensive bike and he was on a Schwinn! A great artist can make great music with middling equipment.

Why would anyone buy a digital piano without a pitchbend and modwheel even if it is midi capable?

You are hobbling yourself without these. The Komplete Kontrol is nice but Arturia's Keylabs are more capable DAW controllers and they come with Analog Lab (which is amazing), they include aftertouch and if you are also going to use your keyboard for drum programming then most peeps think synth action keys are better than semi-weighted for that. Plus you get 16 pads to fall back on (for drums/percussion) if you prefer.

If you really want a piano feel then stick with the Komplete Control with as many octaves as you want. If you want synth action keys then the Keylabs are the sh*t.

I have one of these - it rocks for both DAW control and as a very expressive midi keyboard:
https://www.arturia.com/store/hybrid-synths/keylab61mkii

Analog Lab has every piano, keyboard and synth sound you could want - included for free.

Last edited:
Hi Spudman,
No worries at all - I should add that they have midi ports too, so you can use them as a controller for whatever sounds take your fancy. What I like about them, is that they appear to have had serious design influences from piano players, so the feel and play very well.
My friend and I went out to buy digital pianos - she got a midrange Yamaha clip, and I got a high range Casio - still kicking myself because hers is so much better in all aspects.

Thanks
Pauly
Which Casio did you get?

Back
Top Bottom