I am confused about the JP2C

VidarAus

Experienced
I don't have an AXE III (yet...) and I have never played with a JP2C in person. Doing a search I found this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/

And it seems like there is a lot of confusion about if the model in the AXE III matches the real JP2C, how to get the same gain amounts from the model (what channels are modeled exactly, and how to get the different shift pulls etc) which knobs on the AXE match the tapers of the real JP2C and which possibly don't, and getting the model to sound like videos of Petrucci using the real amp etc.

Was kind of hoping getting a JP like tone would be more plug and play with the III by just matching JP's settings on the controls and using an appropriate IR. There also doesn't seem to be much info on the wiki about this amp at the moment.

Seems like there are still a lot of questions - what is the current state of play here? Is this an accurate recreation of the JP2C? Noting I haven't played with the model myself yet, what are the magic settings to more closely match a JP tone? What are the secrets to using this new model?

Thanks

Last edited:
no jp expert here... just thought I'd throw down some info in case it helps... I have a triaxis in addition to my axefxiii. as such I've spent a lot of time collecting presets for the triaxis. There is an artists settings doc on musiker-board (german site) that has a bunch of artist settings(metallica, reeves gabriels, andy timmons, jp)... I've tried many of them on my triaxis and while I have no idea how authentic they are... they do get a lot of hype online and I can tell you many of them sound great. I've also programmed quite a few into the axe fx triaxis amp with pretty good success. Just thought I'd mention in case you/someone-else might find alternative happiness there.

I don't have an AXE III (yet...) and I have never played with a JP2C in person. Doing a search I found this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/

And it seems like there is a lot of confusion about if the model in the AXE III matches the real JP2C, how to get the same gain amounts from the model (what channels are modeled exactly, and how to get the different shift pulls etc) which knobs on the AXE match the tapers of the real JP2C and which possibly don't, and getting the model to sound like videos of Petrucci using the real amp etc.

Was kind of hoping getting a JP like tone would be more plug and play with the III by just matching JP's settings on the controls and using an appropriate IR. There also doesn't seem to be much info on the wiki about this amp at the moment.

Seems like there are still a lot of questions - what is the current state of play here? Is this an accurate recreation of the JP2C? Noting I haven't played with the model myself yet, what are the magic settings to more closely match a JP tone? What are the secrets to using this new model?

Thanks
Most questions and confusion are caused by people making statements that sound factual when they don't really have a clue what they're talking about. Unless it comes from @FractalAudio , @Admin M@ or other Fractal employee, I take what is said with a grain of salt. As far as the taper confusion, Fractal addressed it in a thread stating there are no differences between the Axe III model and the actual amp. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/page-3#post-1776607

lol - I love a Petrucci meme as much as the next person...but it seems like threads searching for JP tones end up here really fast and there is no serious discussion after :0

It’s kind of cliche and silly, I fully agree, but at the same time it’s basically true.

JP is going to sound like JP with pretty much any rig he plugs into. However, you’ve got an internet full of people discussing all this tiny little details as if they are the key to sounding just like him, and people going out and buying all the “right” gear, guitar et al., and still don’t really sound close....

It’s the same with guys like Gilmour.... you can spend $15k on all the vintage pedals, the Hiwatt rig etc and still not sound as close to Gilmour as a guy like Dave K, who Roger Waters paid to do a really good Gilmour on his tours, and Dave isn’t using any of the same gear as David.... I think he uses a Suhr Riot for his leads, not the “correct” Big Muff but you can’t argue with the tones... they sound spot on.

So basically, JP sounds like JP regardless of the shift knob being in or out etc, to which, it’s kind of silly to sweat the small details when the tone really isn’t in the details, but with the player.

I think the issue comes down to that it is easier to track down certain pieces of gear than it is to master the talents of certain players.

Heck, I build an exact Black Strat in about a month... but I sure can’t learn to master the second solo of Comfortably Numb in that time frame, if ever lol

Most questions and confusion are caused by people making statements that sound factual when they don't really have a clue what they're talking about. Unless it comes from @FractalAudio , @Admin M@ or other Fractal employee, I take what is said with a grain of salt. As far as the taper confusion, Fractal addressed it in a thread stating there are no differences between the Axe III model and the actual amp. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/john-petruccis-jp2-c-settings.149491/page-3#post-1776607

Ok. So if you load up the JP2C model, plug in the settings that JP uses (found in various video demos he has done), drop in an appropriate IR (such as the 57/421 mix 1 from ML Cab Pack 7) and plug in a JP signature guitar you will get an accurate recreation of his base rig?

The remaining gap is talent, beard and bicep?

Ok. So if you load up the JP2C model, plug in the settings that JP uses (found in various video demos he has done), drop in an appropriate IR (such as the 57/421 mix 1 from ML Cab Pack 7) and plug in a JP signature guitar you will get an accurate recreation of his base rig?

The remaining gap is talent, beard and bicep?

I'm not at liberty to say anything more but JP himself gave the models his stamp of approval.

Awesome Cliff, thanks! This says everything. Anyone with similar questions on how to dial this thing in should be directed here. Perhaps this quote should be added to the wiki (I'm not sure how to do that).

EDIT: Never mind. Worked it out and have added to the wiki (anyone is allowed to add stuff right?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom