HX Stomp - interesting (?)

Or bass. Bass players don’t seem to be anywhere near as obsessed about gear as guitar players.

Hmmm... Midi controllable... so could be piped into an AX8 without much fuss I would imagine, though at $599... A full blown Helix FX is the exact same price. So ..there’s that.

For a backup? Maybe.. but.. something about that application doesn’t really do it for me either.. Maybe it’s overall standalone switching limitations.. Maybe I’m missing something, but not really sold on it.

No.. I don’t have anything against Helix, but this one’s not quite for me.

I wouldn't really call HX FX as full blown since it doesn't have amp modeling. The HX Stomp does, but only one DSP and six effects blocks max (including amp and IR blocks)

Gear gear and more damn gear ..... I should have smashed that first guitar I got and just learned to play the bagpipes.

Would have been the same thing.

You would end up buying passive and active pipes, 6 pipe and 12 pipe bagpipes, single hollow and double hollow pipes, short kilts, long kilts, red plaid, green plaid, berets. Then you would still need recording gear to record the pipes. Then you’d probably get into pipe modelling and need pipe IR’s and bag packs, weekly firmware updates, etc.

Besides, I doubt there would be a pipe forum as helpful as this one.

Yeah .... nothing musical can escape the technological revolution I guess ..... but a spandex kilt would have been much more comfortable back in the 80's

I wouldn't really call HX FX as full blown since it doesn't have amp modeling. The HX Stomp does, but only one DSP and six effects blocks max (including amp and IR blocks)

I was initially figuring how I could best have use for this stomp. For me, the only issue I have with the AX8 is lack of CPU headroom. So, I initially thought I could have the Helix Stomp handle the modulation effects in the chain - but, for the same price ...you could get the Helix FX. ..Like you say, no amp modeling, but the Helix FX has much more robust switching options if FX is all you are needing it for.

Personally, I have never really been overly-impressed with Helix amps and distortions. Modulation though. I could use a tiny-Helix for that.

So...After some thought, I was very tempted to get one of these little Helix numbers as, a couple of days ago, I strung together 2 drives, an amp, stereo cabs, a chorus, delay and reverb ...and my reverb kept shutting off for lack of CPU power in my AX8.

BUT! ...Just today piped a couple of old drive pedals into my rig to free up headroom with the AX8, and I’m back to waiting patiently for the Brand-Spanking-New AX2018 ;) ...19? o_O ..C’mon Fractal! throw me a freakin’ bone!!

Yeah .... nothing musical can escape the technological revolution I guess ..... but a spandex kilt would have been much more comfortable back in the 80's

:eek: ... Wut? ..a spandex kilt!? ...That woulda likely gotten you arrested! ..they never had too many lines to cross in the 80’s, but, I’m sure that a “Spandex Kilt” woulda been one of ‘em!!! :confused::D

Or bass. Bass players don’t seem to be anywhere near as obsessed about gear as guitar players.

I reckon it depends on the kind of bass player you're dealing with. A bass player who takes his or her instrument serious probably suffers from GAS as much as any guitar player. The results are skewed however because those players are swamped with the kinds of bass player that Glenn Fricker hates with a fiery passion bordering upon death-, players who have no interest in the instrument other then its a means for them to be in a band. If you are too cheap to even buy new strings because it cuts into your beer and tattoo budget then I reckon even the idea of getting some decent gear is probably outside context problem as well. And based on my experience as a sound engineer, which I admit is statistically not scientifically representative, that particular strain of bass player is sadly enough the majority.

You don't really need new string on a bass very often. It's not like you can break them or hear them become dull anyway. You can probably clean the grime with WD40 from time to time and make them "new" again.

There's "decent" gear, which any musician should strive to have, the kind of gear that doesn't limit you as a musician. Then there's obsessive splitting of hairs that guitarists are especially prone to. I mean, do I really need a $3K+ custom guitar (let alone half a dozen of such guitars), or could the same thing be accomplished with a $500 used Ibanez just as well? I think we all know the answer to that one, as unpleasant as it may be. OCD and non-zero discretionary budget aren't a good combination. :)

I really like it. I think it can be a great backup and fly gig solution. I think the price is a bit high though.

You don't really need new string on a bass very often. It's not like you can break them or hear them become dull anyway. You can probably clean the grime with WD40 from time to time and make them "new" again.

How often you change depends on the style, but probably most on the individual player. And one of the best ways to clean them is through boiling water. But sadly enough even that is too much work for the average bass playing monkey.

There's "decent" gear, which any musician should strive to have, the kind of gear that doesn't limit you as a musician.

Yeah, even that is too much effort the average bass playing monkey. They'll stick with whatever they managed to get (for cheap) at the start. After that they'll ignore every suggestion by their band mates that they should get a better amp. Or at the very least a Sansamp DI box. Because that cuts into their budget for what they really think is important. Namely everything else but bass playing. All to often if they do have good gear it was donated to them by either their parents or worse, their band mates.

Don't forget, the average bass playing monkey is not a musician, he's or she is someone who wants to be in a band but who cannot sing, play drums, keyboards and is at best a failed guitar player. He or she may even be a guitar player who cannot get a gig as a guitar player and now settles for playing bass instead. Because there's always a shortage of bass players but never one of guitar players.

Then there's obsessive splitting of hairs that guitarists are especially prone to. I mean, do I really need a $3K+ custom guitar (let alone half a dozen of such guitars), or could the same thing be accomplished with a $500 used Ibanez just as well? I think we all know the answer to that one, as unpleasant as it may be. OCD and non-zero discretionary budget aren't a good combination. :)

And this is where the real bass players, the one who are both serious about their instrument and craft, God bless them, are just as much prone to fall victim too as guitar players. Because there are boutique bass guitars, amps and pedals out there, which are just as much in demand by splitting hair bass players. After all, what is the point in hauling a giant vintage Ampeg bass stack around, when chances are the average sound guy will just have you play through a DI box first and only taking that signal? Unlike guitar, bass players are far more likely to play directly into the FOH, so whatever stage rig they insist in hauling around is basically for stage sound only. Would you insist on hauling a vintage Plexi 2x 4x12 stack around just for stage sound?

I love the form factor, and it has just enough capabilities that I could use it for all gigs.
The sound clips I've heard are not impressive and the price is too high (for the tone to be POD quality).

If Fractal had this product, I'd would be sitting in front of FAS Headquarters right now like I am camping out to get Pearl Jam tickets.

I'll get one of these to replace my zoom g3 as a back up for the Axe Fx. Don't really need it for any other purpose though.

Well I bought one and it's super portable, will work as the backup I wanted, but the modeling left me disappointed :(. It's funny how you get to certain places (FAS) and it's nearly impossible to go back.

Would have been the same thing.

You would end up buying passive and active pipes, 6 pipe and 12 pipe bagpipes, single hollow and double hollow pipes, short kilts, long kilts, red plaid, green plaid, berets. Then you would still need recording gear to record the pipes. Then you’d probably get into pipe modelling and need pipe IR’s and bag packs, weekly firmware updates, etc.

Besides, I doubt there would be a pipe forum as helpful as this one.

Don't forget the flamethrowers. All the cool bagpipe kids are using them these days. :D

If I were more enamored by my Helix, I'd sell it and get a Stomp. Most of the time the modeling leaves me a little frustrated, at least compared to the Fractal.

I think it's a killer little concept though. Amp + IR + four effects slots. All in a pretty small little package with a headphone jack.

I’m waiting for a Fractal version. I think I posted about an “AX2” or something like that some time ago. Basically just amp and cab modeling in a stomp box. L6 did one better and threw in their whole catalog of effects.

I’m waiting for a Fractal version. I think I posted about an “AX2” or something like that some time ago. Basically just amp and cab modeling in a stomp box. L6 did one better and threw in their whole catalog of effects.

Until then, you may want to check out the new Mooer PreAmp Live - 4 button, and sounds decent (in the videos)

I run AFB and a multi-effect box from a battery pack for a grab and go rig. After really thinking this over as a replacement....to the point of installing the Helix Native demo and seeing what can be done with 6 blocks....I've given HX Stomp a thumbs down.

This thing is a technological marvel, but I'm hard pressed to figure out what it's good at. Jack of all trades, master of none applies perfectly. If you just want effects, the HX Effects is better at the same price. If you want the amp models, it's not an an all-in-one solution because of the block limit. Adding external units negates the portability since HX Stomp requires a big and rather seriously awkward power supply. Apparently you might get it to run from some other power units, but no guarantees. I'm also concerned about heat since they seem to have just scaled down their full architecture into this amazingly tiny enclosure. My guess: it'll sell like crazy at first, but wind down quick when people figure out the inherent limits.

Dammit, Atomic better fix the AFB because (at least for now) there is no substitute for it. :p

I do wish Fractal would decide to compete in this space....

Back
Top Bottom