HX Stomp - interesting (?)

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
It's apparently the Helix in a stomp-sized package... could make for a good fly rig. It can only run 6 total fx at a time including amp and cab, so it's not gonna replace your full rig (not even a Helix), but in a pinch I could see it serving a need. Not that it's going to replace my AX8, but YMMV.

https://line6.com/hx-stomp

It definitely looks interesting. People have clamored for something similar from fractal since the standard / ultra days. Looks like a perfect backup rig.

Hmmm... Midi controllable... so could be piped into an AX8 without much fuss I would imagine, though at $599... A full blown Helix FX is the exact same price. So ..there’s that.

For a backup? Maybe.. but.. something about that application doesn’t really do it for me either.. Maybe it’s overall standalone switching limitations.. Maybe I’m missing something, but not really sold on it.

No.. I don’t have anything against Helix, but this one’s not quite for me.

I would buy it if the price was more reasonable. For grab n’ go gigs. It seems overpriced to me. Or maybe just not worth it to me.

I would buy it if the price was more reasonable. For grab n’ go gigs. It seems overpriced to me. Or maybe just not worth it to me.

GuitarGuitar are doing it for £465 here in GB

I've got an Amplifire AA3 as a B rig for my AX8. I've never really bonded with it so for something to throw in my gigbag this Helix thingy has really got my attention, so much so I might just order it rather than wait till they pop up second hand.

I will say if Cliff has any plans for a small footprint Fractal floor unit I'll PM him my credit card details right now

I really wish fractal will make a product along those lines sooner or later, a compact device that does amp and cab modeling plus 3 or 4 effects. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I really wish fractal will make a product along those lines sooner or later, a compact device that does amp and cab modeling plus 3 or 4 effects. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Totally, I was thinking about this a while ago. Something with 6x footswitches the size of the Atomic Amplifire, simple amps, ir and effects and I'd be "TAKE MY MONEY"

Yes.....your move, FAS......this thing will be a success, little doubt, Bass players may be particularly interested
IMO, L6 mouthPiece digital igloo has a predictably enthusiastic FAQ on their forum.(find it yerself, I’m no shill)

Looks like a good backup rig. I've never tried the helix though and had meh experiences with their previous amp modeling.

...Something with 6x footswitches the size of the Atomic Amplifire, simple amps, ir and effects and I'd be "TAKE MY MONEY"

Yup! ..Six footswitches would be the magic number for me, too. As a standalone back-up I could do a lot of damage with six footswitches. Three footswitches - which is my only real gripe with this unit ..tuner/tap and two sound options? For me, just not nearly enough.

Yup! ..Six footswitches would be the magic number for me, too. As a standalone back-up I could do a lot of damage with six footswitches. Three footswitches - which is my only real gripe with this unit ..tuner/tap and two sound options? For me, just not nearly enough.

You can add a couple of footswitches and/or a MIDI footswitch

I doubt it'll sound as good as me AX8 but I'm real tempted

You can add a couple of footswitches and/or a MIDI footswitch...

Now, Y'see.. Maybe THAT was what I was missing!! :D ..As a backup That might work. Not quite as portable again, and with the cost of a decent controller it puts the HX Stomp within spitting distance of the LT. But, maybe, incorporate the FX of the Helix into the AX 8, take a controller along to gigs - just in case somebody spills a beer on the AX8 ...and then steals it ..and always have the option to use the Stomp with controller as backup!

Okay, Yup! That might work!

As for the modelling side of things, Unfortunately, having been spoiled by the sound I can wrangle from a fractal, whatever I get as a backup won't sound quite as a good.

...Looking forward to when the AX9 (or whatever) hits the market. Then I can use the 8 as backup. Been using an HD500X as a never-yet needed backup, but have been really tempted to get a Helix to fill that job.

AX9!!! C'mon, Cliff! ....Chop-Chop! :p:D

Forget backup rig, I want one of these in my Axe FX's effects loop. Just like I have an M5 right now. Or an M9 still on my old pedal board. Together they could probably cover like 99.99% of every sound I could think of.

Forget backup rig, I want one of these in my Axe FX's effects loop. Just like I have an M5 right now. Or an M9 still on my old pedal board. Together they could probably cover like 99.99% of every sound I could think of.

What effects do you use the M5 and m9 for that aren't in the Ax8?
Never owned them myself and always heard they were popular with folks

Last edited:
As a playing only at home guitarist these days, who recently bought an Axe III, I can say this product has no danger of separating my credit card from my wallet lol.

Cool product for certain needs and markets though.

At this point, I don't see a need for something like this. But I can see a lot of people jumping on this... either people who still have a POD or people just getting into modeling and just want something on their board.

You could set this up with a few presets and get through a gig as a backup, or a jam session where you didn't want to bring your Axe as long as you didn't need more complex chains. But at that price I think I'd rather get an Amplifire box if it was just for insurance.

If FAS ever did something like this, I'd be very interested too - for one thing, we already know how to dial it in so it'd be easy to port a few of your presets over to it.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom