How to get this D-style tone out of any of the Dumble models in AXE?

Kev - this mainly is because the tunes I have heard were more instrumentally driven, shows you what I know. My point ultimately was the type of music I am just not as into as I used to be. That's why I brought up Satch for a comparison. Watching more of Robben's videos I could see myself slowly listening to his live stuff more.

He has phenomenal tone and I really enjoy the dumble tone he captures. One of my favorite amp sims we have, and frankly one of the most underrated amps, are the J-35 Two Rock [TWOSTONE] sims. I used to play those exclusively until the Hook 34 came out.

Fair enough... I dig even his instrumental stuff, as well as Satch... But I know what you mean.

Funny how you bring up Satch, I never ever gave him a chance till this past year, I'm 45 btw, and now I freaking love his playing. That tune Searching.. gtfoh it's a masterpiece. He's really not just a guitar acrobat like I always wrote him off to be, the dude has feel. I like music that makes me feel, no matter what it is, I'll take Tool or Opeth just as much as some Albert King or some Bob Marley or Floyd or Beethoven. The shredding thing though never made me feel anything though. Impressive I suppose, but a bunch of linked together sweep picking just doesn't really do it for me personally.
Anyway, back to the task at hand, I was just working on a new patch trying to capture more of that midrange D sound, and I definitely got a lot more of it, but I had to dig into non factory IR's. I'm using cab pack 17 Buddy's Botique a combo of two 1x12 Bludotone closed-back ported can with the WGS Blackhawks with a 57 mixed with a 121.
I still want to try some more IR's and maybe even go back to two of my other two favorite amps the Fuchs & Two Rock.
Satch is phenomenal and can totally move you with his melodic ability.

That being said, there was a period of several albums where I felt like he was sort of phoning it in :(

The most recent albums are really good and quite varied. All the ones with Mike Kennealy involved have been great.

I have listened a lot to Satch in my younger years, 15-20 years a go, and saw him quit a few times back then. Specially a show when he toured with Bissonette brothers was freaking awesome. So when he came to my hometown late 2016, I had to go.
I got so disappointed, all songs were played like one long solo, no dynamic what so ever, as it was the last solo in the tour.
He can play fast, but that show was without any nerve, feeling or dynamic.

I dunno. The SD "Pearly Gates" pickup in one of my Mockingbirds really brings that nasal quality. It's something I have to fight a little bit with some patches.
You're right, pickups can make a difference there. One of my guitars has a set of Pearly Gates, and it has some of that midrange honk, though not nearly as much as some IRs contribute.

With a little gain, those Pearlies are like pre-EQ (see @FractalAudio 's thread with he same title) hat translates into a tone that rides like a surfboard on top of he mix.

Kev - this mainly is because the tunes I have heard were more instrumentally driven, shows you what I know. My point ultimately was the type of music I am just not as into as I used to be. That's why I brought up Satch for a comparison. Watching more of Robben's videos I could see myself slowly listening to his live stuff more.

He has phenomenal tone and I really enjoy the dumble tone he captures. One of my favorite amp sims we have, and frankly one of the most underrated amps, are the J-35 Two Rock [TWOSTONE] sims. I used to play those exclusively until the Hook 34 came out.

@OP I think I am going to have some time tonight for getting some new presets dialed in on my AX8, can spend some time on the AFX II as well to get some presets that hopefully translate well.

Funny that the two D style amps I really like are the Two Rock and the Bludotone.
The more recent ODS models are getting pretty good.

Do not like the Fuchs at all.

Funny that the two D style amps I really like are the Two Rock and the Bludotone.
The more recent ODS models are getting pretty good.

Do not like the Fuchs at all.

Oh man, I like the Fuchs, I really really like the Fuchs. Love the Fuchs lol.
I like one of the Trainwrecks, but the not other two. I think it's the Express I like.
The Ruby I never got along with at all.
And of course the Dumble, should really be really just using that. :rolleyes::cool:

Oh man, I like the Fuchs, I really really like the Fuchs. Love the Fuchs lol.
I like one of the Trainwrecks, but the not other two. I think it's the Express I like.
The Ruby I never got along with at all.
And of course the Dumble, should really be really just using that. :rolleyes::cool:

Hey @Perdikament & @Lkdog - I'm finishing up my MBA program and last week was the last of my classes. Friday and Saturday got away from me, but I am hoping before this weekend to have a quick video/presets to share with you guys if I can get an hour in the studio. Will keep ya posted, thanks for the patience!

Hey @Perdikament & @Lkdog - I'm finishing up my MBA program and last week was the last of my classes. Friday and Saturday got away from me, but I am hoping before this weekend to have a quick video/presets to share with you guys if I can get an hour in the studio. Will keep ya posted, thanks for the patience!
Sounds good, I certainly haven't forgotten about this. I've been going thru day by day, Amp by Amp, IR by IR, believe or not one of my favorite rediscovered amps is the Komet 60. Could be one of the most touch sensitive amps we have & easy to dial in too. Still want to nail this Bludojai though. I've been using the IR's from Buddy's Botique, there's a few in there I like but if anyone has another cab pack they can recommend with these type IR's let me know. I'd really like some more to mess with.

I just grabbed the Celestion G12-65 collection of IR's.. not too shabby, first impression is they are nice and up front & focused & sound really nice of the few I've been through.

I've been using the IR's from Buddy's Botique, there's a few in there I like but if anyone has another cab pack they can recommend with these type IR's let me know. I'd really like some more to mess with.

Sounds good, I was going to focus mainly on the following amp sims:
TwoRock - 4x12 all the way
Bludojai - 2x12, 4x12 or 1x10
Fox ODS - 2x12, 4x10 TV
ODS100 - all of them basically
Capt Hook 1-3 - 2x12 Rumble IR

Will let you know what I come up with, it might not be for a couple weeks because I have one final obligation for my MBA next week out of town.... *sigh*

Last edited:
Sounds good, I was going to focus mainly on the following amp sims:
TwoRock - 4x12 all the way
Bludojai - 2x12, 4x12 or 1x10
Fox ODS - 2x12, 4x10 TV
ODS100 - all of them basically
Capt Hook 1-3 - 2x12 Rumble IR

Will let you know what I come up with, it might not be for a couple weeks because I have one final obligation for my MBA next week out of town.... *sigh*
Sweet, no rush, I'm taking my time here as well, but certainly not for forgetting about it. My thought was the same, come up with a few different flavors with a few different amps, which I've been working on, but my sticking point has been the IR's so far. I hoping these Celestion ones will open up what I've felt has been that elusive missing bit.
I'll shoot for the
Bludojai
Trainwreck
Komet 60
ODS
and I'll try and stick to one Cab pack.

Keeping a close eye on this thread. :D
I revisited the Fuchs model in the AXE FX II and after tweaking it some I would agree it has some real good tone in there.

On my real Mesa Mark V I have been experimenting with the Mark I mode a lot.
Finding some good tones there.

I've been using the Bludo PAB this past week. I'm favoring that over the other by quite a bit now. I am using the Celestion G12-65 IR's & like those a lot.

As far as the Mesa goes, I'm a quite a fan of the Lone Star in the AxeFX. It's not one that gets a whole lot of attention but it's a great Amp. I do miss my Mesa Maverick from time to time, that was a great little class a Amp.

Ok, here is the first patch I'm planning on doing for myself for each of the D-Style Amps. I have to admit, the more I play with them the more I crave 'em.
Anyway, I went with the Fuchs for this round, I've always really liked model, it does have a lot of gain, but it can be tamed nicely.
I guess I'll explain a little bit about the patch & each block & what my logic/intention is which might help you make any adjustments you want to make, some tone & volume/gain adjustments are done in other places.
From left to right:

WAH: Attached to Expression1/Vox VX845/ I have the Frequency set lower, it starts at 190Hz & goes up to about 2K (which is also lower). This is a personal thing I prefer, you can put whatever you want here, & here is a link to a bunch of different Wahs: https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/dunlop/wah-pedals/

PHASER: This is set to Univibe with a bit more depth & the Bulb Bias turned down from 4 to 3.19 which gives it a bit more of the swell. Default is OFF across all Scenes.

FILTER: This is being used as a Clean Boost & a bit of a Low Cut. The Boost is 5.5dB & the Low Cut is set at 109Hz.

**Drive 1&2---> drive1&2 are set up to run both as single drive pedals and dual parallel drives.**
DRIVE 1: FET BOOST: This adds a bit of gain and boost, and I also have the Tone turned up to brighten the signal going into the Amp. For whatever reason this worked a lot better than the Treble or the Prescence on the Amp after a certain point. So if you're having an issue with getting the high end dialed in just right on your rig, check here, it's a big help.

DRIVE 2: ZEN MASTER: Using this to add just a little bit more flavor to the overall tone. While the FET Boost adds a little bit of drive it's mostly driving the front end of the Amp and thickens everything up, this adds a little bit more into the frey. It's a fairly dark pedal to the Tone is up on this as well.

AMP1: FUCHS OVERDRIVE SUPREME
X- Deep
Y- Regular
I have Scenes 1-4 set up with the INPUT TRIM set to 0.100, (the minimum) and this is tied to the Controller "Scene 1".
Scenes 5-8 the INPUT TRIM is set to 0.470 for more gain. If you want to change either one of these values you just edit the Min/Max values in the Modifier Screen.

Cab: Ok, well I uploaded the patch with factory cabs as close in sound as I could to what I made the patch with. However, I would very very very highly recommend picking the Celestion G12 65 IR's. They are great IR's. You can buy them all for $29 but to be perfectly honest with ya I think the 1x12 open back is the best sounding group, and there really isn't that much of a difference in sound between say the 2x12 closed & 4x12 closed IR's & they sell each group separately for $11.99. https://www.celestionplus.com/speakers/g12-65/
Anyway, I went through I think every single Factory cabinet to get as close a match as I could to the G12-65's
If for some reason they aren't in the patch
Here are the two that are close, they are both Stereo Ultra Res
X: F118 2x12 SV Legend Mix (on both L&R, panned -100/100)

Y: F187 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel)
F016 1x12 Brit G12H30 (RW) *panned -20/20*

Here is the CELESTION IR's I used:
G12-65 112 O Hi-Gn ALL+RoomS_L
G12-65 112 O Hi-Gn ALL+RoomS_R
*Those are panned hard L/R*

PEQ: I added in the Parametric to bring back in some lows, ya have to careful with the low end going into these D style amps it seems, there's a fine line between that nice warm fuzziness and losing all articulation .. but in doing so I think I can get a tad thin. If you're boomy but not fuzzy adjust this or turn this off.

CHORUS: Dimension 2 Just a barely noticeable hint at 9% mix, you wouldn't even know it's there until ya turn it off while your listening for it. Pretty cool ay?

VOLUME/PAN: This is tied to Controller "Scene 2" which is a Volume Modifier for each individual Scene. If you permanently adjust a volume of a scene: Click on the "Controllers" Button, then on the "Scene" Button, and adjust the Controller 2 Row, those are all individual Scene Volumes. :)

REVERB: pretty straight forward, there's also a Spring Verb on the Y channel.

Compressor: OPTICAL 2: a nice bit of compression set to line, this is the new optical compression added to the unit not too long ago, I like it, I think it gives a nice polished sound while still sounding natural. It's not necessary However.

DELAY: Deluxe Mind Guy I have it on but way back in the mix, set it how you like. There's also the 2290 on the Y side.

So basically the Scenes break down like this:
SCENES 1-4 are the LOW INPUT TRIM
SCENES 5-8 are the HIGH INPUT TRIM
and then
SCENES 1&5 - NO DRIVE
SCENES 2 - FET BOOST
SCENE 3 - FET BOOST + FILTER
SCENE 4 - FET BOOST + FILTER + ZEN
SCENE 6 - FILTER
SCENE 7 - FILTER + FET BOOST
SCENE 8 - FILTER + FET BOOST + ZEN
**Drive 1 also has FET PREAMP ON (Y)

And that's about all I can think of...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of7ypxpybdcf0rh/FUCHS 8.02Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Last edited:
So I just picked up one of those cheap Roland Go:Mixers. It connects the AxeFX to the phone directly to record directly. Pretty simple, great for quickly recording while songwriting so you don't lose the idea.
Anyway, I figured what better to give it a try than the Fuchs patch. So here's a little clip of Scene 2, sorry about the no video part, no tripod yet so that's an ultra closeup shot of my table! :p

Link to the patch with factory cabs, (see previous post #54 for patch details & link to Celestion IR's & IR info.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/of7ypxpybdcf0rh/FUCHS 8.02Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Last edited:
Here's an Ojai patch using the Clean channel, but driven, so not so clean. Although it'll clean up if you roll your volume on your guitar off. This patch can actually cover some pretty high gain territory :)
There's 4 scenes on this one.
Scene 1 is just the Amp
Scene 2 is with Filter on +8dB w/125Hz cut
Scene 3 is with FET Boost ON
Scene 4 is with Filter & FET ON.

I left out a lot of the other effect except Reverb & delay which I left in pretty some pretty wet long Reverb which I usually don't use, but I hear it a lot in the demos so I figured why not :) there's a spring verb on the X channel btw.

I switched up Factory Cabs as well but I still really like the Celestion G12-65 1x12's open back IR's for this, although this combo is very close, with a bit more lows. Up to you if you want to buy the Celestion IR's I mentioned in post #54 in this thread. I wouldn't say it's necessary but I'd say they are worth it, they work well for a lot of amps.
Factory cabs used:
F121: 1x12 Triptik Mix
-proximity L 7.62
F187: 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel)
-proximity R 0.00

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kg6s2xrz9rxgi9/OJAI 2 8.02 Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Last edited:
I switched up Factory Cabs as well but I still really like the Celestion G12-65 1x12's open back IR's for this, although this combo is very close, with a bit more lows. Up to you if you want to buy the Celestion IR's I mentioned in post #54 in this thread. I wouldn't say it's necessary but I'd say they are worth it, they work well for a lot of amps.
Factory cabs used:
F121: 1x12 Triptik Mix
-proximity L 7.62
F187: 4x12 G65 Mix (Cel)
-proximity R 0.00

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kg6s2xrz9rxgi9/OJAI 2 8.02 Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Hey @Perdikament & @Lkdog - sorry I haven't posted any presets yet, life has been 101 MPH right now after finishing my Master's and enjoying family time without homework. I have a couple of them started and trying to concentrate the tone tailoring it towards the original YouTube vids in Post #1.

I am struggling with the Bludojai amp sim, I can't get a clean representation of what the video shares. It is becoming a worthy challenging which makes it more time consuming.

I am hoping to have something ready with some exported presets by mid-week next week. Sunday I may be able to shoot a quick video with tones.

Thanks for the patience!

Back
Top Bottom