How to get this D-style tone out of any of the Dumble models in AXE?

Lkdog

Power User
I know this thread could be a rabbit hole, and I have no intention of starting an adversarial debate here.
Just looking for a tone I hear that I like. :D

I simply just want to know if anyone is getting the signature "nasally", "strained", or "pinched" Dumble tone that seems to be a primary characteristic in these amps from the clips I listen to in both the cleaner and gain settings.

I just can't seem to get it in any of the models in the AXE.
I can get the smoother thick and chewy sound with gain and even the a little bit of the chirpy tone on the Bludotone and Two rock models, but not the nasally pinched thing.

If you have a minute take a look a these videos.

Any ideas on any of the D-Style amps welcome.
My guitars are below in signature. Nothing exotic. All lower range PAF range humbuckers.

Thank you.

One thing to note..... That is an 'Amp in the room' tone, miked from a distance with a 'Zoom' or something. The close miked tone from that same rig would sound very different?

A lot of volume and guitar/speaker interaction helps the tone too.

Nice tone though!... horribly noisy,;) but nice.:cool:

One thing to note..... That is an 'Amp in the room' tone, miked from a distance with a 'Zoom' or something.

Well, what we're hearing definitely isn't "Amp in the room" since the amp isn't in the room with us. Presumably, we could get an IR created via a "Zoom" across the room if that was somehow desirable.

But it is an interesting point. How much of the tone that we're hearing is an artifact of the Zoom (or whatever) and not of the amp? Maybe the tone in the room is thick and chewy, and the nasally part comes from the recording device?

One other thing I'm not clear about is how the Axe implements/emulates the HRM? On my Dumble clone, you have to take out the chassis and mess about with trim pots on the HRM daughter-board. It definitely changes the character of the overdrive sound. Those tone changes happen on top of the basic tone stack coming out of the clean stage, but I'm not sure if they are before or after the overdrive stage, and how the positioning of the HRM tone stack changes how it affects the sound.

I also don't know if those Bludo amps have the HRM controls, and then, of course, we don't know how they are set. We also don't know how the HRM controls were set on the unit that was used to create the Axe models. My guess is that there might be some value in tweaking the GEQ settings in the amp block to push the nasal tone up a bit.

Oh! You could also try changing the Tone Stack in the amp model. Maybe use the "Skyliner" tone stack?

You can try to run a reverb block into the tape distortion on the back end to simulate a room sound pushing the cameras mic?

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.
I think the tone characteristic is pretty consistent across a lot of videos I have seen on Youtube, but no doubt different recording techniques makes a difference.

I did try the tonestack change and the Skyline Deep did make a little bit of difference in the Bludotone Clean model.

Still not quite there though and not making much headway on the gain side.

Here are a few more clips with better mic setups I think.

And the man with just a little dirt. I hear he stays on the clean channel mostly.

Last edited:
I use the Bludojai LD2 model, the key is running the Bass really Low, (like around 2). Otherwise it fuzzes out. That may be the IR's I'm using as well though too. I'm not using the typical 65, I'm using a Stereo Greenbacks mixed with EV12L's. Then I also add a Filter block in front of the Amp with the Low Cut set at 175Hz and the Level cranked up a bit to push the front end. You can really set it anywhere you want for the amount of gain you want out of the Amp and just use your vol on your guitar to clean it up, but I kinda like to then run the Filter block into the Shimmer Drive and then kick that on to get the lead tone. Shimmer gain set real low and level set high again. So my Filter block is level is at like +5.9dB and I have the Amp itself without the Filter block on at the point of just breaking up.
And I think it's just what you're looking for gain / tone wise.
I can post the patch later if ya like. The original IR's I used creating the patch are not factory ones, one was from the Zilla pack & the other was from one of Cliffs Dumble cabs with the EV's in it. But I did go through and make a Factory version and it's pretty damn close tone wise, I have not tried it with the 65's even though I have all those IR's as well. But I'll have to remove the non Factory IR's first.
I just made a thread last week on this, I think it's on page 2 now. there's a pic of the Amp settings I used in that thread.
When ya get it dialed in, it's an absolute amazingly beautiful sounding & feeling model.

Edit:
I tried to upload the patch here but it wouldn't let me so I'm trying the Dropbox thing. A few things about the patch: I'm pretty sure I left the Volume on the Output Mixer way down before I saved it, (I usually try to remember to do this as a courtesy just in case.) There's also a few X/Y you can use, drive/delays/reverbs/CABS, and the Amp has a nice Dirty Shirley on the X Channel, use that with the Filter block as well. And as usual I'm sure you'll have to tweak stuff to your rig but maybe it'll head ya in the right direction, I hope.
link to the patch lmk if it doesnt work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft86hksm3dpv8xo/Bludo LD2 8.02 Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Last edited:
i've been messing about with the dumble lately, trying to chase the tones on this...

i'm using the bludo pab, set up like this...
drive, overdrive, pres, depth and master all on 3.5
bass on 6.5
mid on 4.5
treb on 3.5
boost switch on
preamp valves on JJ
motor drive on 4

i have a zen drive in front as an option with gain and level on 2 and bass on 3

i'm running into bludo mix F11 and an ownhammer G12-65 mix, but there are some IR's in cab pack 17 i might try at some point

seems to sound good with my semi and my tele

I use the Bludojai LD2 model, the key is running the Bass really Low, (like around 2). Otherwise it fuzzes out. That may be the IR's I'm using as well though too. I'm not using the typical 65, I'm using a Stereo Greenbacks mixed with EV12L's. Then I also add a Filter block in front of the Amp with the Low Cut set at 175Hz and the Level cranked up a bit to push the front end. You can really set it anywhere you want for the amount of gain you want out of the Amp and just use your vol on your guitar to clean it up, but I kinda like to then run the Filter block into the Shimmer Drive and then kick that on to get the lead tone. Shimmer gain set real low and level set high again. So my Filter block is level is at like +5.9dB and I have the Amp itself without the Filter block on at the point of just breaking up.
And I think it's just what you're looking for gain / tone wise.
I can post the patch later if ya like. The original IR's I used creating the patch are not factory ones, one was from the Zilla pack & the other was from one of Cliffs Dumble cabs with the EV's in it. But I did go through and make a Factory version and it's pretty damn close tone wise, I have not tried it with the 65's even though I have all those IR's as well. But I'll have to remove the non Factory IR's first.
I just made a thread last week on this, I think it's on page 2 now. there's a pic of the Amp settings I used in that thread.
When ya get it dialed in, it's an absolute amazingly beautiful sounding & feeling model.

Edit:
I tried to upload the patch here but it wouldn't let me so I'm trying the Dropbox thing. A few things about the patch: I'm pretty sure I left the Volume on the Output Mixer way down before I saved it, (I usually try to remember to do this as a courtesy just in case.) There's also a few X/Y you can use, drive/delays/reverbs/CABS, and the Amp has a nice Dirty Shirley on the X Channel, use that with the Filter block as well. And as usual I'm sure you'll have to tweak stuff to your rig but maybe it'll head ya in the right direction, I hope.
link to the patch lmk if it doesnt work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft86hksm3dpv8xo/Bludo LD2 8.02 Factory Cabs.syx?dl=0

Awesome. Thanks so much. Will try it out.

i've been messing about with the dumble lately, trying to chase the tones on this...

i'm using the bludo pab, set up like this...
drive, overdrive, pres, depth and master all on 3.5
bass on 6.5
mid on 4.5
treb on 3.5
boost switch on
preamp valves on JJ
motor drive on 4

i have a zen drive in front as an option with gain and level on 2 and bass on 3

i'm running into bludo mix F11 and an ownhammer G12-65 mix, but there are some IR's in cab pack 17 i might try at some point

seems to sound good with my semi and my tele

Great stuff. Thanks.
Will give it a go.

Here is a clone taken from 183 the owner who had the real 183 wanted the amps to do that sound
they both did so he was pleased and sold the 183. The other clones 2 went to Texas one sitting here.
The difference in those and mine being mine has the recent D verb which was voiced on #60 a purple suede combo with verb. After getting that amp and paying extra for the verb I discovered I liked plate reverb far better and wound up leaving amp verb off.

For Axe London Verb Deluxe mind guy delay and ODS clean if you want the Ojai its in the amp section.. Ford might use TC Hall verb or something like that and then TC 2290 perhaps..
~London plate and Deluxe mind guy really.~

I think Ford uses the clean boost by Vertex and sets it about 5 or just below 5.
Halfway .

A smart person I know suggested I use a filter to get the desired
db I wanted he was correct I looked at Vertex pdf which tells us
the pedal is 16 Db ..

So I used a filter and set volume to taste. Since we know Ford liked just this side of 5
thats right about 8 Db.. This seems to work just fine for clean boost...

Now one ponders the right amount of Fet might just be the next gain stage for Clean Jangle..

I wonder if FAS could not develop a hybrid clean boost Filter and Fet pedal
where you can adjust both and get just the right amount but two sounds in one pedal.

Filter for clean boost 8 DB
Fet would be another story guessing there is no reason you cant add a tinge of Fet.
Pushing the clean dirty Rhythm sound more adding some jangle or grit. via Fet.

Might be a blended dual sound you get using both those efx blocks before amp...
eg Filter and Fet both on

I can see some clever uses for switches and or using these things in scenes.

Last edited:

Here is a clone taken from 183 the owner who had the real 183 wanted the amps to do that sound
they both did so he was pleased and sold the 183. The other clones 2 went to Texas one sitting here.
The difference in those and mine being mine has the recent D verb which was voiced on #60 a purple suede combo with verb. After getting that amp and paying extra for the verb I discovered I liked plate reverb far better and wound up leaving amp verb off.

For Axe London Verb Deluxe mind guy delay and ODS clean if you want the Ojai its in the amp section.. Ford might use TC Hall verb or something like that and then TC 2290 perhaps..
~London plate and Deluxe mind guy really.~

I think Ford uses the clean boost by Vertex and sets it about 5 or just below 5.
Halfway .

A smart person I know suggested I use a filter to get the desired
db I wanted he was correct I looked at Vertex pdf which tells us
the pedal is 16 Db ..

So I used a filter and set volume to taste. Since we know Ford liked just this side of 5
thats right about 8 Db.. This seems to work just fine for clean boost...

Now one ponders the right amount of Fet might just be the next gain stage for Clean Jangle..

I wonder if FAS could not develop a hybrid clean boost Filter and Fet pedal
where you can adjust both and get just the right amount but two sounds in one pedal.

Filter for clean boost 8 DB
Fet would be another story guessing there is no reason you cant add a tinge of Fet.
Pushing the clean dirty Rhythm sound more adding some jangle or grit. via Fet.

Might be a blended dual sound you get using both those efx blocks before amp...
eg Filter and Fet both on

I can see some clever uses for switches and or using these things in scenes.

Wow, that's pretty cool to hear, I didn't know any of that, but that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing in the patch I made. Pretty damn close anyway. I'm boosting the front end like +6dB with the Filter but will crank it up to about +12 or so, but after that it gets a bit grainy even with the Low Cut at 175Hz. And I'm using the Shimmer Drive, I'll have to try the FET Boost, I like the Shimmer cause there's not a lot of lows, I have the Y as the Timothy, but haven't really bonded so much with it.
On the Reverb I have an X/Y one Spring & one I think it was South Church, but was pretty edited to take out the low & that's the one I use.
And the Delay I actually have 2 separate ones set up, one dual with a kind of scatter pattern and one Bucket brigade, (similar to the deluxe mind guy).
Anyway, pretty cool stuff, nice to know I was on the right path, or should I say on a right path.
I've been saying for awhile now, driving these amps front end with a clean Filter block makes a huge difference, especially when you can pre Low Cut the signal.

Last edited:
Perdikament and Simeon- nice work!

Both setups sound better than anything I have ever gotten!

Hey, Tex Axe knows the FET secret, replace the Timothy in the drive block Y with FET Preamp, set the Drive around 2.5 leave the Level at 5 (a little of this Preamp goes A LONG WAY) use it with the Filter block on or off & use the Vol on your guitar. Listen to it clean right up, and go right into blissful distortion with just a twist !
Nice!
Edit: in case you already read this, I just noticed that the Tone was all the way up on the FET Preamp drive Block, a leftover from the Timothy, you may want to adjust it, I like it with it up though. Ymmv :)

Last edited:
Hey, Tex Axe knows the FET secret, replace the Timothy in the drive block Y with FET Preamp, set the Drive around 2.5 leave the Level at 5 (a little of this Preamp goes A LONG WAY) use it with the Filter block on or off & use the Vol on your guitar. Listen to it clean right up, and go right into blissful distortion with just a twist !
Nice!
Edit: in case you already read this, I just noticed that the Tone was all the way up on the FET Preamp drive Block, a leftover from the Timothy, you may want to adjust it, I like it with it up though. Ymmv :)

Yeah, the Timothy tone control is high cut, so leaving it all the way up does nothing.

Nice!

The preset may have showed up a little funky when I downloaded it. :D

I have a Shimmer Drive in the Drive block that was not engaged when I downloaded it.
And a Comp engaged at end of the chain after the CAB and then after the Reverb.

Not sure how to insert Snapshots here in the post.

EDIT- Ok I found your posted image from a couple weeks ago.

This is what mine does look like I d/l form your Dropbox above so its all good. :)
I will try the FET preamp in the Drive block.

Thanks again.

img_4240-jpg.40766

Last edited:
Someone likely said this already: ditch the YT videos and work off a recording where you know the guitar, pickup, cabinet, speaker and even the pick the player used (if at all possible). This will get you 80% of what you need to know to cop the tone.

Without that, you're not actually in the rabbit hole; you're in a gopher hole, in a field, across the valley.

Back
Top Bottom