How to get this D-style tone out of any of the Dumble models in AXE?

The preset may have showed up a little funky when I downloaded it. :D

I have a Shimmer Drive in the Drive block that was not engaged when I downloaded it.
And a Comp engaged at end of the chain after the CAB and then after the Reverb.

Not sure how to insert Snapshots here in the post.
Yeah that's the way it's supposed to be, it's correct, you have to turn up the Output Level on the Output mixer at the very end of the chain as well it's set at -13dB, ya gotta turn that up.
The Comp at the end is the new Optical compressor cliff added & is set to Line. The one at the very beginning is OFF is set to Instrument. Use them if you like em, if not it's fine as well. I play a lot at lowerish volume at home so I'll use a little extra Compression to suck a bit more sustain to get that controlled feedback earlier cause the puppies don't like it too loud when they are inside :) .
The drive block I was usually leaving off myself, as I was mostly writing chordy stuff so that edge of breakup tone was perfect for what I was doing, then if I wanted to mess around with some lead stuff I'd kick on the Shimmer, but now with that FET Preamp, I may rethink that cause it cleans up so quickly & Nicely with the guitar volume, but rips with just a twist & a pickup change. Really cool. Either way, a lot of territory can be covered in there.

Edit:
One thing to note about turning off the Compressor at the end of the chain, this will effect the Reverb & Delay trails, so you may want to turn them up.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the way it's supposed to be, it's correct, you have to turn up the Output Level on the Output mixer at the very end of the chain as well it's set at -13dB, ya gotta turn that up.
The Comp at the end is the new Optical compressor cliff added & is set to Line. The one at the very beginning is OFF is set to Instrument. Use them if you like em, if not it's fine as well. I play a lot at lowerish volume at home so I'll use a little extra Compression to suck a bit more sustain to get that controlled feedback earlier cause the puppies don't like it too loud when they are inside :) .
The drive block I was usually leaving off myself, as I was mostly writing chordy stuff so that edge of breakup tone was perfect for what I was doing, then if I wanted to mess around with some lead stuff I'd kick on the Shimmer, but now with that FET Preamp, I may rethink that cause it cleans up so quickly & Nicely with the guitar volume, but rips with just a twist & a pickup change. Really cool. Either way, a lot of territory can be covered in there.

Edit:
One thing to note about turning off the Compressor at the end of the chain, this will effect the Reverb & Delay trails, so you may want to turn them up.

Thanks again for sharing, and your insight and also to Simeon.

thanks, great work. just a questions; you aren't using the RF typical 116 ms slap delay?
I'm gunna get shunned outta here for this lol:
I really wasn't going for a RF tone at all when I set out to originally make the patch. To be honest, and I am a, or I should say I was huge into the blues for years & years I never got into RF. Not cause I didn't like him, he just never came my way. I'm really not all that familiar with his work or tone. One of those golden jems I've yet to encounter in my musical journey.

Btw, I updated both locations of the patch again, I got rid of the Shimmer, and added both the FET Boost & Preamp on the X/Y on the Drive Block & adjusted the Tone & upped the Level on the Filter Block to 8dB, added in different Delays on the X/Y's. Except for the 116ms, I caught that just after I uploaded, I didn't know he did that, but that's easy enough for anyone to do, I actually tried it & sounded pretty cool with the 2290.
Sorry about all the updates on the patch, it was really still a work in progress when I posted it, then Tex Axe posted the Killer FET info, and it took off from there. I think it's about as good as I could ever want it here on my end now, hopefully anybody who tries this now gets them in the ballpark with minimal tweaking for their rig.
And don't forget, there's a killer Dirty Shirley bonus Amp on the other channel lol!

I really wasn't going for a RF tone at all when I set out to originally make the patch. To be honest, and I am a, or I should say I was huge into the blues for years & years I never got into RF. Not cause I didn't like him, he just never came my way. I'm really not all that familiar with his work or tone. One of those golden jems I've yet to encounter in my musical journey.

I'm actually right there with ya, a while back a member asked for a preset so I took it as a sonic challenge. I had to learn a Ford song in order to do so and make a shite load of mistakes in the process lol. Not a fan of Ford not because he's not amazing, I just have moved beyond that style music of a constant solo running in circles. Similar to Satch, I love JS but don't invest the time listening to solos being the 'voice' of a song.

Long story short here's what I came up with:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wheres-my-d-sound.116792/#post-1394891

@OP - I've been watching this thread with interest. I may have some time this weekend to build up an AFX II MI preset on the good ole box if I get some time that is similar to the YouTube videos you have posted. I love a good Dumble challenge when there's a specific tone someone is going for.

I'm actually right there with ya, a while back a member asked for a preset so I took it as a sonic challenge. I had to learn a Ford song in order to do so and make a ****e load of mistakes in the process lol. Not a fan of Ford not because he's not amazing, I just have moved beyond that style music of a constant solo running in circles. Similar to Satch, I love JS but don't invest the time listening to solos being the 'voice' of a song.

Long story short here's what I came up with:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wheres-my-d-sound.116792/#post-1394891

@OP - I've been watching this thread with interest. I may have some time this weekend to build up an AFX II MI preset on the good ole box if I get some time that is similar to the YouTube videos you have posted. I love a good Dumble challenge when there's a specific tone someone is going for.
Clips sound great, would love to hear what you come up with here & see how you get there. I like a challenge too, but it's really really hard to have patches transfer from rig to rig. To be honest, I was really very hesitant to even post a patch in the first place. I've had almost zero luck with other people's patches and I know they are good cause I've heard them recorded thru their rigs. They just rarely transfer.
I think the only reason I did was I had just created a thread regarding the Bludojai a few days prior regarding this patch, cause it was one of my favorite amps and I hadn't fired it up in quite a few firmwares and when I did a week or so ago I was rather blown away. Then this thread came and up & I was like, "oh man I gotta try & help a brother out, cause that's right up my alley right now."
I'm not really trying so much to create patches to sound like anything other than to try and get as much harmonic tone and balance as I possibly can, and get that perfect balancing point of Clean & breakup point & volume control with guitar volume & pick attack. So, that's kinda where I was coming from.

Last edited:
i modified my preset a bit by turning off the boost and putting drive and overdrive on about 6. the fet boost on the klon settings as an option (the zendrive is just too gainy, imo). i had to reduce bass and increase treble a bit to compensate, but it sounds flipping great with my tele.

Here is one more video for reference for that pinched nasally tone.
May or may not be your thing, but it is what makes a D-style sound like a D-Style to me anyway.....

Thanks again to everyone sharing ideas and presets.
I am learning a lot and I am not a very skilled tweaker. :D

Its a Glasswerks SODII amp.

Last edited:
Here is one more video for reference for that pinched nasally tone.
May or may not be your thing, but it is what makes a D-style sound like a D-Style to me anyway.....

Thanks again to everyone sharing ideas and presets.
I am learning a lot and I am not a very skilled tweaker. :D

Its a Glasswerks SODII amp.

Ahh, okay, I hear what you're after. There is a certain initial "pick bite" thing going on, then that nice, I call it a kind of "rubbery" sounding midrange.
That's a real nice tone btw. Perhaps I'll retool and come up with something, I'd say definitely within the IR's quite a bit here.

I wanna believe that we can achieve!

Wow, that's pretty cool to hear, I didn't know any of that, but that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing in the patch I made. Pretty damn close anyway. I'm boosting the front end like +6dB with the Filter but will crank it up to about +12 or so, but after that it gets a bit grainy even with the Low Cut at 175Hz. And I'm using the Shimmer Drive, I'll have to try the FET Boost, I like the Shimmer cause there's not a lot of lows, I have the Y as the Timothy, but haven't really bonded so much with it.
On the Reverb I have an X/Y one Spring & one I think it was South Church, but was pretty edited to take out the low & that's the one I use.
And the Delay I actually have 2 separate ones set up, one dual with a kind of scatter pattern and one Bucket brigade, (similar to the deluxe mind guy).
Anyway, pretty cool stuff, nice to know I was on the right path, or should I say on a right path.
I've been saying for awhile now, driving these amps front end with a clean Filter block makes a huge difference, especially when you can pre Low Cut the signal.

The clean boost or filter trick is great... as far as fet goes it would be like another gain stage.. or adding some jangle to the sound.

I owned a High plains drifter for awhile so thats where I messed with the Fet. I was more after the SSS sound vs ODSR but
I arrived at it another way.. using what is in the axe fx.
eq and different preamp and even power amp tubes.. Mess with that and some other things and get where I wanted to the sounds in my head...

Things like "nasally" and "boxy" usually come down to choice of cab.

I dunno. The SD "Pearly Gates" pickup in one of my Mockingbirds really brings that nasal quality. It's something I have to fight a little bit with some patches.

That quote is a bit baffling to me as the vast majority of his tunes are firmly rooted around vocals...

Kev - this mainly is because the tunes I have heard were more instrumentally driven, shows you what I know. My point ultimately was the type of music I am just not as into as I used to be. That's why I brought up Satch for a comparison. Watching more of Robben's videos I could see myself slowly listening to his live stuff more.

He has phenomenal tone and I really enjoy the dumble tone he captures. One of my favorite amp sims we have, and frankly one of the most underrated amps, are the J-35 Two Rock [TWOSTONE] sims. I used to play those exclusively until the Hook 34 came out.

@OP I think I am going to have some time tonight for getting some new presets dialed in on my AX8, can spend some time on the AFX II as well to get some presets that hopefully translate well.

Kev - this mainly is because the tunes I have heard were more instrumentally driven, shows you what I know. My point ultimately was the type of music I am just not as into as I used to be. That's why I brought up Satch for a comparison. Watching more of Robben's videos I could see myself slowly listening to his live stuff more.

He has phenomenal tone and I really enjoy the dumble tone he captures. One of my favorite amp sims we have, and frankly one of the most underrated amps, are the J-35 Two Rock [TWOSTONE] sims. I used to play those exclusively until the Hook 34 came out.

@OP I think I am going to have some time tonight for getting some new presets dialed in on my AX8, can spend some time on the AFX II as well to get some presets that hopefully translate well.
Funny how you bring up Satch, I never ever gave him a chance till this past year, I'm 45 btw, and now I freaking love his playing. That tune Searching.. gtfoh it's a masterpiece. He's really not just a guitar acrobat like I always wrote him off to be, the dude has feel. I like music that makes me feel, no matter what it is, I'll take Tool or Opeth just as much as some Albert King or some Bob Marley or Floyd or Beethoven. The shredding thing though never made me feel anything though. Impressive I suppose, but a bunch of linked together sweep picking just doesn't really do it for me personally.
Anyway, back to the task at hand, I was just working on a new patch trying to capture more of that midrange D sound, and I definitely got a lot more of it, but I had to dig into non factory IR's. I'm using cab pack 17 Buddy's Botique a combo of two 1x12 Bludotone closed-back ported can with the WGS Blackhawks with a 57 mixed with a 121.
I still want to try some more IR's and maybe even go back to two of my other two favorite amps the Fuchs & Two Rock.

Back
Top Bottom