How to Connect Axe-Fx 3 to Apogee Element interface?

Martin Vaz

Hi guys, here i am again, this time i need some help connecting my Axe FX 3 to my Apogee Element interface to my iMac with Logic Pro X, basically i want be able to record guitar which i can do now, that's with out my Apogee interface, since I'm using the Axe FX as the interface, but then if i want to add a vocal track, i have to use the Apogee which means unplugging the XLRs from the Axe FX to put them on my Apogee interface, just don't know how to connect this together, thanks in advance.

PD: The XLRs are from my studio monitors obviously, thanks again.

I prefer to connect the Axe-FX Analog Outputs to the audio interface instead of SPDIF because that allows me to use the Axe-FX OUT1 potentiometer to control the guitar volume. It is only for monitoring, so no worry for extra A/D conversions.

I connect the microphone to the audio interface and record it through its USB.
I record the guitar through the Axe-FX USB.

More details here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-to-rme-fireface-ufx-ii.142411/#post-1703165

I prefer to connect the Axe-FX Analog Outputs to the audio interface instead of SPDIF because that allows me to use the Axe-FX OUT1 potentiometer to control the guitar volume. It is only for monitoring, so no worry for extra A/D conversions.

More details here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-to-rme-fireface-ufx-ii.142411/#post-1703165
Thanks, that diagram is really helpful, thanks again.

Joining this discussion if you all are still around. I’ve had the Fractal FX 2 XL+ for over a year now, and tried various signal chain setups with and without a 2nd audio interface. I’m now running an Apogee Element 24 via thunderbolt, and using the Axe FX as input through USB. Speakers are running out of Apogee. The audio detail with this setup is amazing and my preferred way to run. (BTW iMac with 32 gb ram, latest OS, Logic Pro X, latest firmware for FX XL+)

I’ve searched and read quite a few threads regarding Logic Pro X, Axe FX, and an additional audio interface, and it seems to be a very common problem that when playing guitar through this chain eventually (after 3-5 minutes) the sound (only guitar input) all of sudden goes into extreme latency (2-3 seconds). The quick fix is to restart the track in Logic Pro and all is synced tight again.

From my reading, many people have shared and queried this problem, but I’ve never really heard a solid explanation and solution.

Is it a buffering problem? Can the system only handle so much data before lagging behind? Is it a sync clock problem, that is reset when I restart the play track? Or???

I have all hardware set to 48, and have tried varying buffering settings on all of the units.

I’m not that well versed on clock issues, and don’t see how to tell the fractal to always get clock info from a certain source.

Any help here appreciated!
Thanks, Luther

Joining this discussion if you all are still around. I’ve had the Fractal FX 2 XL+ for over a year now, and tried various signal chain setups with and without a 2nd audio interface. I’m now running an Apogee Element 24 via thunderbolt, and using the Axe FX as input through USB. Speakers are running out of Apogee. The audio detail with this setup is amazing and my preferred way to run. (BTW iMac with 32 gb ram, latest OS, Logic Pro X, latest firmware for FX XL+)

I’ve searched and read quite a few threads regarding Logic Pro X, Axe FX, and an additional audio interface, and it seems to be a very common problem that when playing guitar through this chain eventually (after 3-5 minutes) the sound (only guitar input) all of sudden goes into extreme latency (2-3 seconds). The quick fix is to restart the track in Logic Pro and all is synced tight again.

From my reading, many people have shared and queried this problem, but I’ve never really heard a solid explanation and solution.

Is it a buffering problem? Can the system only handle so much data before lagging behind? Is it a sync clock problem, that is reset when I restart the play track? Or???

I have all hardware set to 48, and have tried varying buffering settings on all of the units.

I’m not that well versed on clock issues, and don’t see how to tell the fractal to always get clock info from a certain source.

Any help here appreciated!
Thanks, Luther
Just to add - when I run the same system using Fractal as the audio out, I never experience this type of problem. BUT, I HATE having to fine-tune the out level on the fractal for overall volume, and like the audio coming out of the Apogee much better.

Just to add - when I run the same system using Fractal as the audio out, I never experience this type of problem. BUT, I HATE having to fine-tune the out level on the fractal for overall volume, and like the audio coming out of the Apogee much better.

I too am experiencing the exact same glitch running my Axe Fx III as the USB input and my Audient id14 interface for the output to my studio monitors while using Logic Pro X.

I will add that before I purchased my Axe Fx III, I was using an HX Stomp in the exact setup with zero latency issues, so maybe there's some sort of USB issue with the Fractal?

Anybody experiencing the same issue or know a fix?
Thanks!
Mike

More details here:
Piing - do you ever experience the 2-3 second delay referenced in my discussion?

Back
Top Bottom