Best digital connection to RME Fireface UFX II?

John M

Inspired
I am running my FX III into a RME Fireface UFX II interface. I am wondering the best/cleanest connection option? I assume digital to digital would be best? The UFX II has ADAT/SPDIF optical and AES/EBU digital inputs. But the ADAT/SPDIF connector is not the RCA type found on the FX III SPDIF output so I assume it needs some kind of adapter. The simplest stereo connection looks to be via AES/EBU with a single AES/EBU 110 ohm XLR cable. Does that make sense and still provide stereo? Output from the UFX II is to my PC/DAW via USB and/or to FRFR monitors via the XLR 1&2 main outputs. Thanks for any suggestions.

The simplest stereo connection looks to be via AES/EBU with a single AES/EBU 110 ohm XLR cable. Does that make sense and still provide stereo?
Yup. I'd just got the AES route. Avoids the optical to electrical conversion you'd need for SPDIF.

Yup. I'd just got the AES route. Avoids the optical to electrical conversion you'd need for SPDIF.

Cool. Did you bother with an expensive AES cable? At Sweetwater I see a 3' Hosa for $12.95 and a Mogami Gold for $54.95.

I have an original UFX and a UFX+. RME makes some great interfaces. Depending on what you're doing and what your I/O needs are, you can also just use the Axe as your interface.

I am running a number of other inputs (mic, synth, trio, etc) and want them as separate tracks in my DAW so the RME is useful for that.

OTOH, I prefer the sound of my guitar from the headphone output of the FX III over the headphone output of the RME UFX II. Even with the digital connection there is something subtle lost in going thru another device.

Cool. Did you bother with an expensive AES cable? At Sweetwater I see a 3' Hosa for $12.95 and a Mogami Gold for $54.95.

... I prefer the sound of my guitar from the headphone output of the FX III over the headphone output of the RME UFX II. Even with the digital connection there is something subtle lost in going thru another device.

Could there be a relation between 'low quality AES cable' and the 'lesser' sound going through de RME?

I see AES cables of multiple thousands of dollars (!!!) that are sold for high end hifi audio systems… so while I never quite understand how digital transportation of 0's and 1's would get lossy there must be a reason for higher quality AES connectors… it can not all be nonsense right?

Does anyone have some experience with testing SQ in this respect? Is investing in a $60-100 AES cable vs. $12 really loss of money?

No matter how good and expensive the audio interface and its digital connection are, I always record to the DAW using the Axe-FX USB. Why? Because I always record both the wet and the dry guitar signals, for reamping. Not that I always reamp, but it is very convenient to have the dry take there, just in case.

I understand... but I only have one pair of monitors and they are connected to my RME interface also for vocals, keys etc. So I really want/need to use my RME as a base for recording.

I could also go analog out to rme analog in (with separate outs for dry signal), I see multiple people preferring that solution. Simple and effective. However, if AES is a potential solution with AD/DA steps I would prefer that or st least try it... hence the question!

Does that make sense and still provide stereo?
Yes. A single AES cable carries both left and right channels.

Set the Axe III clock to "internal".
Set the RME clock to "external".
If you have multiple digital devices connected to the RME, you'll need a fancier clock set-up.
OTOH, I prefer the sound of my guitar from the headphone output of the FX III over the headphone output of the RME UFX II. Even with the digital connection there is something subtle lost in going thru another device.
It's not about "going through another device". It's the quality of the headphone amp.
it can not all be nonsense right?
+1 to @yeky83. It's all nonsense. Digital works perfectly until it doesn't. And when it doesn't, you know right away.

AES works great but I personally use analog into my UFX because I like to control the volume from the front panel of the Axe-Fx.

I also use analog, to control the volume from the Axe-FX front panel. But Axe-FX USB for recording. That is the easiest way to register both the processed and raw signals without any loss.

I also use analog, to control the volume from the Axe-FX front panel. But Axe-FX USB for recording. That is the easiest way to register both the processed and raw signals without any loss.

So when recording, which driver do you use in your DAW? How do you get the DAW-output (backing tracks, metronome) to play through your monitors while using the inputs from the Axe-FX?

So when recording, which driver do you use in your DAW? How do you get the DAW-output (backing tracks, metronome) to play through your monitors while using the inputs from the Axe-FX?

When recording I also use the Axe-FX drivers for monitoring.

When recording I also use the Axe-FX drivers for monitoring.
That's what I wanted to avoid because it would mean patching cables back and forth between guitar recording situations and all other applications.. Is there an easier solution to this?

That's what I wanted to avoid because it would mean patching cables back and forth between guitar recording situations and all other applications.. Is there an easier solution to this?

That was also my initial point. When I look at the pic that @Piing shared, he has both devices connected thru USB, so probably when using the soundinterface, you just need to switch inputs/outputs in your audio-application like Logic/Protools. No need for patch cable juggling. At least that was my understanding.

Haven't had time yet to try this myself (Mac user by the way). I'm still in my early honeymoon days with the Axe3 so I decided to just plug the damn thing in my RME frontinputs (which are really clean and transparent) and jam away with presets and scenes...

Back
Top Bottom