How many of you EQ before Amp?

clarky

Axe-Master
just curious really...

how many of you carry out some sort of EQ changes before sending the guitar tone into the amp block/s??

anything from drive block mid-boosts, to hi / lo boosts or cuts via a PEQ / GEQ / Filter

I've never really done any of this in the past..
so I'm considering having a bit of a goof around with this

I've experimented in the past with pre-EQs' but I since ditched the idea. I try and keep my chain as uncluttered as possible. I do use a 4db filter clean boost (switchable), but that is full-range.

Of course, I do use different virtual dirt-boxes.

It's another tool for finding your tone. Pre-EQ allows for different voice shaping which is not the same as post eq on your chain. It may be just what you're looking for.

I'm currently using drive blocks before amp blocks in most of my presets.

I've always played my analog rigs that way and I just gravitated that way on the AxeFx.

No profound reason :)

I mostly use PEQ blocks before the amp to boost or cut certain freqs. For my heavy sounds I use the dynamically modified HP filter trick found in the wiki. It REALLY tightens he low end on super high gain metal sounds.

Just the occasional drive block in front of the amp for me. I sometimes use an EQ pedal in my pedal/amp rigs but I find the controls in the amp and cab blocks of the Axe can more than cover that ground. I tend to use fairly classic tones though, so not too adventurous.

My approach is trim the bush after it grows but if there are any really ugly frequencies generated early it may be better to pull them like weeds.

I mostly use PEQ blocks before the amp to boost or cut certain freqs. For my heavy sounds I use the dynamically modified HP filter trick found in the wiki. It REALLY tightens he low end on super high gain metal sounds.

Hi Shotgunn
I tried searching the wiki for this trick but couldn't it - could you post a link please?

Is this the trick (from the Gen 1 Axe FX wiki)?

"Tightening up the low end
Here's a trick to tighten up the low end on high gain patches:
1. Put a filter block before the amp block. Set the type to Highpass.
2. Attach the Envelope controller to the Frequency parameter. Use default settings for the Envelope parameters.
3. Set the Scale to 40%, Offset to around 22%."

Shotgunn......do you have a pointer to the dynamically modified HP filter? Not finding it, but interested.

To the OP, I routinely use a PEQ before the amp to block 125hz and below. Maybe it should be after don't know, just in the habit of putting it before.

EQ before the amp is a great way to simulate your guitar having different pickups. Try scooping the mids to make a Les Paul sound more like a strat, and vice versa. Boost the treble to add a bit of clarity, cut bass to tighten tone, boost bass to more easily drive the amp input, etc. There's all kinds of things you can do. Just understand that EQ before the amp is a completely different beast than post-amp EQ and has its own, very different characteristics. Use your ears and you'll be fine!

I EQ before amp, between amp and cab, and occasionally after the cab. I like doing it this way for live patches as a way to minimize noise and keep the frequencies all in line. It might seen excessive but most of it is just pulling frequencies and it actually makes setting up usable patches from scratch easier for me when needing on the spot sounds while writing with my bands in rehearsal settings.

Sometimes just matching amps and cabs probably works well for people but I love the EQ options in the Axe and clearly use the crap out of them. I've noticed that I prefer to get all the frequencies in line before the cab block; it sounds "realer" to me than trying to EQ after the cab or by using just the output EQs. Anyway, I EQ before the amp block often.

If you're talking strictly EQ (as in virtual parametric or the like, not as in boosts or ODs or the like), I usually use 'em at the end of the chain. After the cab, and after cab+mic. This allows me to get all the ingredients set up and usually render 90% of what my head is hearing; the final 10% is usually trimmed with post-EQ. Just IMHO, YMMV.

I occasionally use a GEQ near the beginning of my chain for higher gain patches. I usually just take out a couple of db at 125hz. Seems to tighten it up a bit. Sometimes I'll also drop 500 hz by 2-3 db. That seems to improve clarity on some patches. I usually only do this on amps that are naturally dark and/or mid-heavy.

It depends on application and the guitar. Sometimes, I have a pre-distortion EQ for high gain to tighten the bass. Then, I'll use a clean amp in parallel to add some definition between notes. For mid gain, I tend to just tweak the EQ in the drive block. Occasionally, I'll use a pitch controlled overdrive that rolls down on the eq and adds more distortion for the high notes.

I could not live without the EMG SPC Mid Booster on my Strat with EMG SA pickups. It gives you "Instant Gratification". :p and cuts through the mix like a samurai sword.

I guess that it can be emulated with a tone block, but I have never tried to compare it. Perhaps this weekend...

Here is the tone curve of the EMG SPC:

EMG%20SPC%20Tone%20Curve.JPG

FYI: here are the tone curves of other EMG active equalizers.
https://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-SPC-RPC-EXG.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom