How many of you EQ before Amp?

the situation I'm in right now is that I have the dry tracks recorded for the first song of the next DC Band album..
and this is the first time that I'm considering the album tones I'll be using to reamp with..

ok.. so I've recorded an entire album with the Axe already.. a funky one...
and I've sorted my live presets for the DC Band..
but now I'm looking at the studio end of this band... proggy rock.. which occasionally dips a toe into the land of metal...

right now I'm messing around with tones that when completed will define my sound for the rest of the album...
so I'm going to need to nail the following presets:
- a pair of hi-ish gain riffers
- a pair of medium gain riffers
- a pair of clean tones
- a soloing tone

I've already decided which amps to use..
I already have good cab choices, but I'm experimenting with other possibilities..
and to add to this, I'm experimenting with different mic / proximity possibilities too..
in addition, I'm also considering a little "fixing up" of the signal before it enters the amp block..
one being EQ - to tighten the low end and possibly to calm the extreme highs
the other being compression - studio type with very short attack and release times..
the compressor is in the DAW on the dry track.. it has a fast attack / release to slightly reduce the dynamic range of the initial attack so that I can then jack up the overall level and send a hotter signal from the DAW into the Axe
nothing set in stone yet... still goofing around

there is also the consideration that V10 will show up before I'm done recording
but I'm hoping that as my presets will be nailled by then, it'll simply mean I have a few small tweaks to make..
then I can enjoy all the extra tonal goodies that v10 brings and re-reamp all my parts before sending them in for mix-down..

I guess the thing here is that I'm going to try a slightly different approach to my usual tone...
for the first time I'm going to try blending 4 tones for the riffs..
two different performed parts, each driving a pair of amps
the highest gain tones panned widest, and the moderate gain tones panned within them
the aim is to be thick and solid more centrally, and more fried up at the wider extremes
never tried this before... hense my fishing..

Just tried the dynamic filter on some test patches and at first, using just the stock settings, like an envelope filter/touch wah. I then read some more and realised you need to alter the envelope settings, especially the threshold and attack/release parameters to match your playing/patch. It is a great addition!

i am boosting mids ala tyler's give yer solo a mid boost suggestion via GEQ block....really works live for me using FRFR. cuts through and sits well in the mix.

I put a graphic between the TS Mod and the amp with a 1k boost of between .5-1db to mimic my favorite Michael Angelo TRex pedal.

Definitely before the amp. In some cases, also after. With the PEQ that is.

Here is the link to the wiki item I mentioned...

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki
I use this trick before the Jubillee and the JCM800... But I´m not sure how this translates to the II I have. In the Axe II, the Scale goes from 0.100 to 10.00, and Offset goes from -100 to +100%. Setting the Offset to -76% is what removed the flub from my Jubillee patch.
That said, I don´t have much understanding as to how I should adjust this tool, to make it even better.

Back
Top Bottom