How many Axe-Fx owners in DFW area ??

It was great to meet everyone and see how they were using their Axe's. As many different setup and uses as there were folks attending. I appreciate everyone showing up (Mott drove up from Austin), and Funeral's letting us use his "facility" and hosting the event. We'll figure out when to hold the next one.
Meanwhile.. keep playing guys :)

One other thing from the DFW Axe-FX Meetup -

I was asked to check with Jay Mitchell on whether he would be making his impulse responses (IRs) available to the public, either commercially or otherwise.

Jay said that he would like to do so, sometime in during 2012. However, there are a few minor hurdles to be overcome, including without limitation (and in no particular order): distribution strategy, amount and variety of IRs to include, and protection of intellectual property. He doesn't really have time or expertise to operate an e-commerce site. He's also pondering how many different IRs to publish, and whether the collection should include as many different permutations of mic choice and mic placement as some of the other IR providers. He's also concerned about illegal copying and piracy.

In the discussion that followed, the meetup attendees assured him that there are a number of "canned" solutions for operating a Web store which would not require technical expertise or significant direct involvement from Jay to manage and operate. The attendees also expressed their preference for fewer IR options, in terms of mic choices and placement, in order to keep it simpler for users. No one seemed to have a good idea about how to address the piracy issues.

Jay also stated that any IRs that he offered would all be of the "far-field" variety. He said that he has occasionally taken a near-field measurement, but only for testing purposes (spectrum analysis?), and that he would never advocate the use of near-field IRs for anyone who's looking for an "amp-in-the-room" experience.

Fellow DFWers, please correct anything that I've misstated or omitted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom