How do you increase your guitars volume when playing a solo?

How do you increase your guitars volume when playing a solo?

• Total voters

richb

Inspired
I'm just curious on what people do. I have always used a foot switch, but lately I've been using the volume knob on my guitar.

Hard to pick just one option from your list as it all depends on the type of tone I'd be using at the time.

If I'm on a dirty sound with maybe a compressor at the start of the chain then I'd use a foot pedal boost method (after the compressor) either kick in a clean Drive block before the Amp or a dedicated 3 dB boost filter block after the Amp on an IA switch

If I'm on a clean(ish) tone then the guitar volume might do the trick as I go from clean to breakup and a little extra volume ... plus hit the strings soft and hard etc.

I've started putting a filter block with a 4dB boost (attached to my 2nd external pedal) in many presets. So, I have a pedal that's 0-100 before the amp block, and a 2nd pedal that adds up to an additional 4dB after the amp block.

That's in addition to generally having a scene prepared that's appropriate for the solo. The 4dB is just for on-the-spot "more me".

Filter block 4/6db...And dedicated volume pedal for safety volume....And using scenes 4/5 two lead with different volume setting

I have used the filter block as others have mentioned and also a Graphic EQ to adjust tone a bit and boost between 3-6db depending on the needs of the band/room.

One, or a combination, of:
- Guitar volume
- Pickup change
- Drive pedal
- Amp change
- PEQ boost
It all depends on the song, and the type of solo.

For the majority of my professional career I used a dedicated pedal assigned to output volume. In the early days it was a volume pedal between the preamp and power amp. In the latter days it was an expression pedal assigned to the output volume on the Axe-Fx.

I used to use volume pedal, then switched to expression pedal, then switched to a scene with more volume using a footswitch, then switched to triggering the "solo" scene with a midi track so I could focus on performing and singing instead of a pedal or switch.

So far I've found that the easiest for me has been to set up a Lead or Solo "Scene" and then adjust the volume/output of that scene accordingly,.. it's been working pretty good thus far..

Back
Top Bottom