How do you all fatten a Plexi patch

Update from OP. Fat switch does nothing to my ears. Bright cap decrease very slightly can help or kill tone with much cut. Other than that it really is the right IR and of course mix of mids depth and normal gain versus treble gain

Update from OP. Fat switch does nothing to my ears. Bright cap decrease very slightly can help or kill tone with much cut. Other than that it really is the right IR and of course mix of mids depth and normal gain versus treble gain
The Fat switch is more noticeable the higher you turn the gain up. At least on the 1959 SLP model.

I followed the Leon Plexi settings and it sounds good on the desktop monitors and with headphones but in a loud band context it sounds thin. Aside from adding bass what would be a good strategy to add some girth in basic rock context setting? MV added seems to add some. I use depth sparingly due to wanting mids and cut.
I use a Xotic Super Clean pedal before my FM9 - fattens up everything. That being said, I generally prefer FAS's Wrecker Express to their Plexi model. Try the stock preset for it on the "cleaner" scene.

Have you ever just placed an EQ block at the end of the signal chain? If the preset that Leon had sounded good on it's own but thinned out in the mix place a 10 band and go to town until it sits!

What kind of plexi tones do you want?

The plexi can achieve many tones. Can you define style or band tones ?

What kind of plexi tones do you want?

The plexi can achieve many tones. Can you define style or band tones ?
Crunch to rock and hard rock shred. A buddy sent me a pre set with the Friedman amps and it i s super thick and fat but also not sure how that will sit in mix.

Crunch to rock and hard rock shred. A buddy sent me a pre set with the Friedman amps and it i s super thick and fat but also not sure how that will sit in mix.
If the Fractal Friedmans are anything like the real thing then they won’t sit well in a mix, the real ones never did for me…

If the Fractal Friedmans are anything like the real thing then they won’t sit well in a mix, the real ones never did for me…
I’m a Marshall guy but for my main band that cover a lot of styles I use the HBE V1.
I use it because it’s the amp I wanted to know how to tweak in the fractal world. And a Marshall can be a little bit too much agressive for some genres.

I use it now in my main presets but I really heavealy modified it to bring it back to Marshall territories and make it cut through the mix and having some « body » qualities.

For next year tour, I will do the opposite, start from a plexi and modify it lol.

I have a real smallbox which sounds a billion times better than the FAS model and sits perfect in a live mix with a Koko Mid boost !

I have a real smallbox which sounds a billion times better than the FAS model and sits perfect in a live mix with a Koko Mid boost !
That's the issue with the Friedman's- lack of mids.....they are great amps don't get me wrong, they just get lost in a mix without a load of outboard processing (EQ's and the like) to get them to push through - my real Boogies and Bogners are voiced totally different in the mids and don't (well, didn't - they don't get used anymore...just gathering dust now!!) need much at all outside the usual tweaks for FOH.

Much like @Sixstring says above, surely you have to EQ stuff to mould into what you want?

Here's my crunch tone with HBE V1. I call It HBEPLEX
It's very very very tweaked.
I'm on a journey to not getting a special amp tone but more on what I want to hear, and that's a mix of an angry Friedman and plexi for me.

just a really short noodling I've done just right now.

One scene, just added some delay and chorus here and there. It's made for live use so not bright. React Really well with volume knob too.

i'm 90% there lol

Guitar is my beloved Warmth mahogany telecaster, JB in bridge and DI Marzio DP411 Neck

Here's my crunch tone with HBE V1. I call It HBEPLEX
It's very very very tweaked.
I'm on a journey to not getting a special amp tone but more on what I want to hear, and that's a mix of an angry Friedman and plexi for me.

just a really short noodling I've done just right now.

One scene, just added some delay and chorus here and there. It's made for live use so not bright. React Really well with volume knob too.

i'm 90% there lol

Guitar is my beloved Warmth mahogany telecaster, JB in bridge and DI Marzio DP411 Neck

That sounds spectacular!......Don't suppose we can try the preset? biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom