How do you all fatten a Plexi patch

I followed the Leon Plexi settings and it sounds good on the desktop monitors and with headphones but in a loud band context it sounds thin. Aside from adding bass what would be a good strategy to add some girth in basic rock context setting? MV added seems to add some. I use depth sparingly due to wanting mids and cut.
A power amp (matrix, or SD 700), a cabinet, a mic'd cabinet, and the cab sim turned off going to the power amp/cab. Or a real good sound guy who can mix the AF3 sound and give it what it needs. And of course a good IR (I'd recommend York Audio)

As you turn up the drive, the bright cap gets gradually mixed out and will make the amp darker. At lower settings, it can make things thin, since the stock bright cap value is quite high.

I rarely use the bright cap on Plexi's. Probably because I'm not a high gain player and the drive isn't up too far, giving the cap too much effect. My homebrew 1987 has a pot in series with the cap, something that has been wished for already. I agree with @RoshRoslin, use the output eq in the amp block at practice and experiment there.

I've always had good results reducing the input trim down to 2 and then building the sound from there, like others say turn off bright switch, roll back treb's and presence keep mid's at least 5, you might try disabling the amp sag in preamp, turn off the input boost, possibly keep gain down a bit too and use a drive block for the driven parts to see how that works 4 u. Though speaker IR is supper critical imo, need to have a good match and amplification should to be solid.

The output EQ is my go to for that type of adjustment. The amp's EQ knobs don't have a ton of range on the plexi models. I like the bright and punchy tone of the plexi as is. It cuts well in a full mix with bass, drums, keys, acoustic guitar, and vocals.

I followed the Leon Plexi settings and it sounds good on the desktop monitors and with headphones but in a loud band context it sounds thin. Aside from adding bass what would be a good strategy to add some girth in basic rock context setting? MV added seems to add some. I use depth sparingly due to wanting mids and cut.
Can you post the video that you saw of Leon settings?
---------------------------------
My bad, I just noticed that today he uploaded that video so I will tested ASAP.

Last edited:
I just watched the vid. For me, I turn the treble and bass down a bit, max the mids.

I also remember dialing this in with my band, and when you're loud enough to hear it, the first thing you hear is the upper mids, so it does sound thin. Turn up 2-4dB from there and you get a much fuller sound without deafening the band. And plenty of cut at that point.

Crank it, bro!

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.36.12 AM.png

The output EQ is my go to for that type of adjustment. The amp's EQ knobs don't have a ton of range on the plexi models. I like the bright and punchy tone of the plexi as is. It cuts well in a full mix with bass, drums, keys, acoustic guitar, and vocals.
Just try the active Tonestack feature.

I’d start with a lo pass filter at 7000 kHz. Cab block and …Maybe a dip at 2.5 khz.
Plexis are super bright by nature though.

First, I'd say remove top end with a gentle filter in the cab block and compensate bringing up the volume some. If not, add more proximity in the Cab Block.. if that gets to tubby, then the output EQ of the amp, just gently boost the 200hz-ish area. Try the approach of removing and turning up volume to compensate first... usually works better for me than boosting additional things and then the whole thing just becomes harsh

Proximity in the cab block can help.

My trick to use the proximity is to match the frequency with the bass peak frequency of your speaker impedance curve and start tweaking from that.
If I don’t do that it sure add some body but it’s not great it just sound like added bass and I want more body in fact.

It also depends a lot on the ir. I like my plexi with greenbacks.

Also try :
  • speaker thump at 5 with pwr amp output (does not remember the name, just not select frfr)
  • the % of the impedance curve can resonance is quite effective too.
In the cab block, the high cut can be set low especially if you play live. Don’t always trust the « cut at 10k ». Plexis are doing really great live with cut a 6k and a medium slope

And try "Post Pi" for Master Volume Location. My goal is not to use EQ but just the amp settings. EQ is a topic for very low volumes, recording or PA systems. But a real amp doesn't need an EQ.

Last edited:
And try "Post Pi" for Master Volume Location. My goal is not to use EQ but just the amp settings. EQ is a topic for very low volumes, recording or PA systems. But a real amp doesn't need an EQ.
What does that do to the tone? Never tried this

What does that do to the tone? Never tried this
It lets you hit the phase inverter hard, even when the Master Volume isn’t dimed. That produces more distortion and compression, with more even-order harmonics than you get from overdriving tube stages.

It lets you hit the phase inverter hard, even when the Master Volume isn’t dimed. That produces more distortion and compression, with more even-order harmonics than you get from overdriving tube stages.
Thanxs for the explanation gonna try it for sure

Back
Top Bottom