High-pitch frequency issue

widespectrum

Axe-fx ii xl+ purchased in 10-2017. I am having an issue, where there is a high-pitch frequency present when playing. When not playing it is not present. Happens on multiple patches. Most prevalent on clean patches with guitar tone rolled down or off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a fix?

The pitch is ALMOST as high as tinnitus (I experience some of that), but not quite as high.

Last edited:
Axe-fx ii xl+ purchased in 10-2017. I am having an issue, where there is a high-pitch frequency present when playing. When not playing it is not present. Happens on multiple patches. Most prevalent on clean patches with guitar tone rolled down or off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a fix?

The pitch is ALMOST as high as tinnitus (I experience some of that), but not quite as high.
Like a mechanic would say, "I'll have to take a look at it". Audio guys say "let me hear it"

Just FYI, but the perceived pitch of tinnitus is highly variable. Often it corresponds to around 4-6kHz, consistent with the “noise notch” area greatest threshold shift from noise induced hearing loss. I have many patients though with low frequency tinnitus, roaring sounds, white noise, sizzling bacon sounds, etc. Some patients do have very high frequency tinnitus perception though of 12kHz or so. In all reality though, pitch matching the tinnitus perception to a real world tone really doesn’t help in the management of it, but some folks do seem to take comfort in putting some measureable parameters on it.

My area of clinical specialization when getting my doctorate was in tinnitus management by the way.

+1 for posting a clip so we can hear what you’re hearing instead of taking stabs in the dark.

In the meantime, does the sound change when you turn off the noise gate?

Just FYI, but the perceived pitch of tinnitus is highly variable. Often it corresponds to around 4-6kHz, consistent with the “noise notch” area greatest threshold shift from noise induced hearing loss. I have many patients though with low frequency tinnitus, roaring sounds, white noise, sizzling bacon sounds, etc. Some patients do have very high frequency tinnitus perception though of 12kHz or so. In all reality though, pitch matching the tinnitus perception to a real world tone really doesn’t help in the management of it, but some folks do seem to take comfort in putting some measureable parameters on it.

My area of clinical specialization when getting my doctorate was in tinnitus management by the way.
Well why doesn't your username include your title? Dr.AxeFx?

I just hear note and a little reverb behind it. Are you running through an frfr speaker? Did you record the sample direct into your DAW?
The reason I'm asking is that if you are hearing the "squeal" though an frfr cab, then it could be the tweeter.

I just hear note and a little reverb behind it. Are you running through an frfr speaker? Did you record the sample direct into your DAW?
The reason I'm asking is that if you are hearing the "squeal" though an frfr cab, then it could be the tweeter.

Hearing it through headphones ... humm ... will try multiple headphones and hear if it still prevalent.

I recorded directly to DAW

Hi I hear something almost sounds like the guitar . Have you tried other guitars? It's like a background noise.

Try running a blank preset with just a single shunt from input to output. If u still hear it then something's fd up

Like Rex said, kill the verb. That was my first thought. Try just amp and cab block, nothing else. If it's still there, try different listening environments - phones, other phones, FRFR cab, a different room if you can.

I suspect it's the verb. If it is indeed the verb, but you still want a "tail", you can do one of the following:
- EQ the verb block (reduce the higher frequencies, or try to find that resonant frequency that you dislike)
- reduce the verb mix (more dry, less verb)
- change the verb type (and repeat the previous two suggestions)
- lose the verb, use delay instead (EQ and mix to taste)

Happy hunting!

I hear nothing wrong, but am guessing that on some of those notes the action is set a little too low, or a fret it too high, as its slightly cutting off the sustain and minimal fret buzz can add a bit of an artifact-like tone

I hear nothing wrong, but am guessing that on some of those notes the action is set a little too low, or a fret it too high, as its slightly cutting off the sustain and minimal fret buzz can add a bit of an artifact-like tone

This was my first thought too. Or could be something on the guitar like pickups, pickup ring screws/ spring, saddle springs, strings between the nut and tuners. I used to own a PRS Tremonti SE and ended up wrapping the pup ring springs in black electrical tape. You can also heat shrink them ;)

First thing I would do is swap guitars. Still hear it, then you can work on other possible sources.

This sounds like the freq from the note/reverb. Doesn't sound like the unit..just some sound resonance from the guitar or tree interacting with the reverb maybe....actually it sounds cool..

Back
Top Bottom