Help with setup for FM3 and FM edit

nagarland

Hi Fractal community,

I'm new so please let me know if missed any of the rules!

TLDR; on my Windows machine I can't seem to get FM Edit to recognize the FM3 hardware.

Context:
I recently acquired an FM3. Its been previously owned but used sparingly - the plastic is still on the screens, only 2 user presets saved the rest is identical to factory settings, essentially brand new. I believe I've followed all of the installation the instructions as best as possible - downloaded FM edit, Fractal bot, and both usb audio drivers. Restarted computer/FM3. I was able to load factory preset "FM3-all-banks-5p03.syx" onto the hardware via fractal bot. Restart FM3 and computer just in case.

When I open FM Edit it always displays "Disconnected" in the top left corner. Fractal bot can recognize the FM3 hardware is connected. FM3 USB audio device control panel recognizes when the FM3 hardware is connected. Still unrecognized by FM Edit.

I've read previous forum posts about this type of issue and they almost always resolve as some sort of driver problem - so I'm inclined to think this is a driver issue as well. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both drivers and FM Edit but still unresponsive.

Is any one able to help me verify if I've installed the drivers correctly? Is it possible the previous user has done something I need to fix? Is FM Edit the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fractal FM3 is running version 6.01. I've gone into the setup midi/remote menu and reset all parameters.

Computer Specs:

Device name DESKTOP-9R33RQ5
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (29.9 GB usable)
Device ID C8551BCA-ACBA-4023-8275-8A7D337476B5
Product ID 00330-52854-60230-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎23/‎10/‎2022
OS build 22621.1413
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

If FractalBot works then you've validated the driver and the USB cable.

In the editor, go to Preferences and check the Ports.

Try changing both to "none" and then try selecting the FM3 ports again.

Also, which version of FM3-EDIT are you running?

If by “complain,” you mean “not work,” then yes. :)

Or more precisely, the first one to establish a connection will work.
I thought there was something added a while back so that a dialog popped up telling you "don't do that". Maybe I'm misremembering?

I thought there was something added a while back so that a dialog popped up telling you "don't do that". Maybe I'm misremembering?

I went Release Notes diving:

1.10.07​

• Support for firmware 19.01
    • Added Damping control to Modifiers.
    • Added Type control to ADSRs.
    • Added Hi Mid control to Drive block.
    • Added "Grunt" and "Attack" knobs to Blackglass 7K DRIVE model.
  • Modified the detection of an in-use MIDI port between Fractal Audio System applications. Requires the following minimum version numbers to coordinate in-use device detection: Fractal-Bot 3.00.13, Axe-Edit 1.10.07, FM3-Edit 1.05.04, and FM9-Edit 1.00.03.

Make sure the FM3-EDIT version matches the firmware version.
Possibly the FM3 still has older firmware installed but you're using a current version of FM3-EDIT.

If FractalBot works then you've validated the driver and the USB cable.

In the editor, go to Preferences and check the Ports.

Try changing both to "none" and then try selecting the FM3 ports again.

Also, which version of FM3-EDIT are you running?
I'm FM3 Edit Version 1.05.14 - I believe this is current but happy to be corrected.

I slept on everything, powered the whole rig up first thing this morning and voila, everything is sorted. Not sure which method got rid of the ghost in the shell but I'm grateful for your responses.
Thank you!

british comedy GIF

I slept on everything, powered the whole rig up first thing this morning and voila, everything is sorted. Not sure which method got rid of the ghost in the shell but I'm grateful for your responses.
Thank you!
The FM3 is the most frustrating modeler I've ever had in terms of USB connection. Restart everything, try new ports, cables, then randomly will start working again with nothing clear in terms of a solution. It's infuriating.

The FM3 is the most frustrating modeler I've ever had in terms of USB connection. Restart everything, try new ports, cables, then randomly will start working again with nothing clear in terms of a solution. It's infuriating.
Sorry you are having trouble but I disagree. I NEVER EVER have had an issue with my original FM3, my newer FM3, FM9 etc, etc.
Not all computers are the same. Not all computers have the exact same drivers installed (I mean for other devices)Not all computers have the same software installed. Lot's of things to consider
I am not discounting your issue, hope you get it sorted out.

USB is supposed to be a "plug and play" solution, but it often is not. And, even though macOS uses universal drivers, which tend to work first time, compared to Windows which can be a quagmire, we, as users, often plug things in willy-nilly, and don't pay attention to things like unpowered hubs, bad cables because of length or damage or that are somehow out of spec, and making sure our USB isn't picking up noise from stray power cords.

I had problems initially, then finally took my computer's USB connections apart and started carefully and systematically reconnecting with my modelers first on the USB hub, upgraded to better powered USB hubs, and now it's very stable; I end up having to restart the modeler when I'm updating the firmware or reloading a backup, not because of other problems.

Sorry you are having trouble but I disagree. I NEVER EVER have had an issue with my original FM3, my newer FM3, FM9 etc, etc.
Not all computers are the same. Not all computers have the exact same drivers installed (I mean for other devices)Not all computers have the same software installed. Lot's of things to consider
I am not discounting your issue, hope you get it sorted out.

USB is supposed to be a "plug and play" solution, but it often is not. And, even though macOS uses universal drivers, which tend to work first time, compared to Windows which can be a quagmire, we, as users, often plug things in willy-nilly, and don't pay attention to things like unpowered hubs, bad cables because of length or damage or that are somehow out of spec, and making sure our USB isn't picking up noise from stray power cords.

I had problems initially, then finally took my computer's USB connections apart and started carefully and systematically reconnecting with my modelers first on the USB hub, upgraded to better powered USB hubs, and now it's very stable; I end up having to restart the modeler when I'm updating the firmware or reloading a backup, not because of other problems.
USB shouldn't require a 30 min inspection prior to every use. Yes, things can happen to ports and cables very easily. I have a charge cable for my power bank that got bent in while packed in my laptop bag. It happens. These are all variables I've checked and substituted. I've disconnected all other USB from the Mac, I restart everything, I don't plug in the FM3 until the device is powered on and booted up(something I read on the forum the first time it refused to connect). I tried plugging it into a hub as well with no change. I also read a post that said to make sure the FM3 is plugged into the same power strip as the editing device. Sounded ludicrous but voila, it finally worked...until now. Still plugged into the same power strip, neither Mac nor FM3 have been updated and NOTHING will get it to connect. Restart after restart, unplug the FM3 and Mac for a minute. Nothing. I downloaded the editor and drivers on my Windows 10 work laptop, try 3 different cables, same exact issue. Do I need to stand on my head or clap my heels together 3 times to get this thing to work? :grin:
My HX Stomp is the only other digital gear that ever had any connectivity issues but never as severe as this. AX8, Atomic Amplifire 3, Amplifirebox, HX Effects, all were plug and play as intended when it came to USB editing. 4 of those 5 listed cost half of what an FM3 costs. Beyond the connectivity issue though, the Fractal stuff is the best sounding for sure.

So what worked to get some FM3 editing done other than using the front panel? Spent $40 on a USB to midi adapter and plugged it into Fracpad on my iPad. I think Fracpad cost me $50 a couple years ago so an additional $90 total to be able to edit faster. Sure sounds like the FM3 USB port has an issue since it's the midi ports doing the work via Fracpad. I'm glad the direct connection to FM3 edit worked long enough to build probably 80% of my presets but I still have plenty of work to do. Call it a first world problem but it is infuriating to have the newest, most current device be the most unreliable.

Last edited:
@Kev324 I feel your
pain. About two years ago nothing would connect to my 2013 Mac Pro. It was 100% solid until one day half my stuff stopped working and even my WiFi printer wouldn’t print. A few weeks later it got even worse and for a few hours after the first start up of the day, the computer would crash. Once within the first five minutes then about every 15-30 minutes through the day. It drove me nuts.

I started working to find the issue and come to find out…. My Mac DID NOT like Microsoft Excel. It took me a while to figure out but after an update of said culprit, it caused all kinds of havoc. I removed Excel and “poof” problems gone. Just to test I reinstalled and yup, that was it. (Recently had a problem with some plugins but I was able to catch that in ten seconds.). Some thins just don’t like the systems they are trying to work together on.

Might be worth taking a look back to around the time the problem started to see if any new software was installed or updated. Hopefully it worked week at one time for you but I didn’t see that info up above…. I got a laptop for work stuff and the Pro is now dedicated to music only….

Last edited:
Sure sounds like the FM3 USB port has an issue since it's the midi ports doing the work via Fracpad.
Sure does sound like an issue with the port, yes.

@OP----THIS, contact Fractal.................Because it should not be as tough as you state.

Back
Top Bottom