Help with Noise Gate

vtckf

Can someone give me some specific settings for each noise gate parameter specifically for use in a high gain patch to cut some of the noise out. Also looking to setup an additional gate after the amp block to help with the noise. Please give me as much details on each setting as you can.
Thanks

I'm interested in this too. Aside from increasing threshold until no noise gets through when the strings are muted, I've been clueless about the other settings.

Use the gate/expander block.

Requires an Ultra.

Alternative noise gates:
- use a Vol block with the volume parameter tied to the Envelope controller. As long as you don't hit the strings, the (input) signal is off.
- put an envelope-controlled lowpass filter at the start of the chain, tied to the Frequency parameter.

It really depends on how noisy your environment and guitar are. Why after the amp block (unlike a real amp, the amp block doesn't create hardly any noise itself), it can be easier to control before all the amplification. Are you wanting this as a type effect for quick mute cut-off or do you want it more subtle. Are you always playing hard and loud or always soft, combination?

Personally I am hoping cliff can add a noise-reduction block into the axe-fx.

the Axe is probably the quietest rack processor and the one with the most gain I ever had in my rack. If you have noise issues it's probably from the enviroment you play in, bad/no shielding of your guitar's electronics, crappy pickups. I remember one guy had a Korg tuner in front of the Axe that screwed his signal up.

the Axe is probably the quietest rack processor and the one with the most gain I ever had in my rack. If you have noise issues it's probably from the enviroment you play in, bad/no shielding of your guitar's electronics, crappy pickups. I remember one guy had a Korg tuner in front of the Axe that screwed his signal up.

Yep. And there are cases of people playing with a combination of ultra-high gain and bright settings, resulting in crackling noise.

If you have noise issues it's probably from the enviroment you play in, bad/no shielding of your guitar's electronics, crappy pickups.

Exactly why a noise reduction block would be excellent in the axe, especially for recording high gain tones in front of a computer and in less than ideal efi/rfi environments.
Parker Fly and Suhr Modern here, so not crappy pickups but I know what you mean.

Sorry to offend anyone with my thoughts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the noise gate in the axe, nor with the other methods mentioned in this post they all work exactly as they should.

A noise reduction circuit works on a different premise and would be a most welcome addition in the axe for myself and some other high gain lead players i am aware of.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it on this post, I seem to have hijacked the op thread, my apologies.

Exactly why a noise reduction block would be excellent in the axe, especially for recording high gain tones in front of a computer and in less than ideal efi/rfi environments.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a effective real time noise reduction. there's gates and there's the that awful Line6 filter thing.
anyway, why should the Axe compensate shortcomings of the signal fed into it (treating the symptom) while you can easily remove such noise at the source.

I record in front of a computer without noise issues. Are you still using a CRT monitor? If so, switch it of right before recording. That's what I did before TFTs became available. I've never looked inside a Fly or a Suhr, but just because they're high $$$ doesn't mean they are well shielded, too.

if you run into noise issues I suspect your gain staging is sub-optimal.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a effective real time noise reduction. there's gates and there's the that awful Line6 filter thing.
anyway, why should the Axe compensate shortcomings of the signal fed into it (treating the symptom) while you can easily remove such noise at the source.

I record in front of a computer without noise issues. Are you still using a CRT monitor? If so, switch it of right before recording. That's what I did before TFTs became available. I've never looked inside a Fly or a Suhr, but just because they're high $$$ doesn't mean they are well shielded, too.

if you run into noise issues I suspect your gain staging is sub-optimal.

I've started a new thread to continue this without stealing the op's thread.
Sorry about that.

Can someone clearly state what each control does on both the global gate and the gate/expander?
The only reason I thought of using the gate/expander is some of the well known posters here do it...like mark day on really high gain patches.

I will also try yek's suggestion volume/envelope. I love the Axe but coming from an amp and stompboxes it 's a big learning curve. Just having trouble taking it all in and learning it the right way. A DVD training course should come with the ultra...I for one need it.

Can someone clearly state what each control does on both the global gate and the gate/expander?
The only reason I thought of using the gate/expander is some of the well known posters here do it...like mark day on really high gain patches.

Did you check the gate & gate/exp sections in the manual? Those seem like decent descriptions. I think there are errors in some listed values though:

"RATIO - Sets the downward expansion ratio. For example, if the threshold is set to -50 dB and the
input level is -60 dB and the ratio is 2.0 the input will be attenuated by 20 dB."

"RATIO - Sets the gain expansion ratio. This is the ratio of input power to output power below the
threshold. If the input power is -40 dB and the threshold -30 dB and the ratio 2, the output power
will be -60 dB (two dB reduction for every one dB below threshold)."

Those sections should end with "attenuated by 10 dB" and "will be -50 dB (one dB reduction for...".

The listed values are correct. Each example shows an input signal 10dB below threshold. The expansion ratio is set at 2. That gives 20 dB of downward expansion (attenuation).

The listed values are correct. Each example shows an input signal 10dB below threshold. The expansion ratio is set at 2. That gives 20 dB of downward expansion (attenuation).

With the ratio at 2 the gate only attenuates by 1 dB per dB below threshold. So in the second example, threshold -30 dB, input -40 dB, ratio 2, the result is -50 dB.

Back
Top Bottom