Help with High Gain like the Chug Pedal

RomanD

the FM3 has really great things in it, amps pedals cabs and everything... but to get the really great high gain sound I have to connect an external pedal in front of it, the Chug pedal from Solar... Why can't I get a great sound with the factory stuff? am I doing something wrong? is something missing? I really believe that fractal is the best of the best but where are the awesome high gain stuff like Engl Fireball, Randall Satan, Fortin stuff? or the stuff that jens bogren conjures up with his amp knob stuff…I really miss something like that...

the FM3 has really great things in it, amps pedals cabs and everything... but to get the really great high gain sound I have to connect an external pedal in front of it, the Chug pedal from Solar... Why can't I get a great sound with the factory stuff? am I doing something wrong? is something missing? I really believe that fractal is the best of the best but where are the awesome high gain stuff like Engl Fireball, Randall Satan, Fortin stuff? or the stuff that jens bogren conjures up with his amp knob stuff…I really miss something like that...
You've got to be kidding right? Fractal crushes high gain sounds. What amp are you using? Please post an example of what sound you are looking for.

It helps because I seem to get good answers 😂

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/chug/
This is the high gain sound I would like to get…
I've tried every high gain amp available, nothing comes close...

Take a look at Jens Bogren's amp knobs, the modified 6160s... I've been trying to get close for days. no chance.. not even with the guy's IRs

I don't know whether it's a limitation of the Fm3 or whether it works with the Axe but I can't find any possibility
tell me if I'm wrong but I can't find a way...

Last edited:
It’s a shame you did not even dare to share a preset you made or even post a sample of what you have achieved right now.

Don’t know if you came to hate or just be helped.

Hmm...this thread seems a little off to me. I'm having trouble believing anyone can't achieve their ideal high gain sound on the FM3. You've got the most authentic models of so many drives and amps, and enough IRs to kill an elephant. Completely has nothing to do with anything else, but just mildly curious, have you ever been paid to troll competitors?

Hmm...this thread seems a little off to me. I'm having trouble believing anyone can't achieve their ideal high gain sound on the FM3. You've got the most authentic models of so many drives and amps, and enough IRs to kill an elephant. Completely has nothing to do with anything else, but just mildly curious, have you ever been paid to troll competitors?

I very much doubt that Ola would pay trolls to discredit competitors. He seems to be a person of integrity.

Just a kid in need to be at the focus of attention

I very much doubt that Ola would pay trolls to discredit competitors. He seems to be a person of integrity.

Just a kid in need to be at the focus of attention

Oh interesting. I haven't followed any of the social media guitar celebrities so closely. So this pedal is his design? That's interesting.

I didn't even think of any specific competitor; I was actually thinking about something Cliff mentioned at some point, that competitors use really underhanded methods to undermine each other online, and this feels like that. What it reads to me is not, "you need this pedal to get this tone," but just "FAS doesn't really cut it for high gain; if you're serious I'd look elsewhere." And that I would expect from a company that makes modelers and really markets to metalheads!

Sorry guys, I think my post came across completely wrong... I didn't mean any hate or clickbait. I was just annoyed because I've been trying for days and just can't get it right. Don't get me wrong, I love the FM3 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Maybe an admin can change the title 😂 I built a simple preset, In1 -> out2 -> in2 -> cab -> reverb -> out1 and for whatever reason it needs just over 80% processor power. I would like to build it without the external pedal but I can't manage it. If anyone can come up with something or have tips on which amp I can use to get the sound like that, I would be really grateful ☺️

I built a simple preset, In1 -> out2 -> in2 -> cab -> reverb -> out1 and for whatever reason it needs just over 80% processor power.
This seems a little odd. (No amp for one thing) Please post your preset so we can see what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Ok, this is my latest Version of my Preset. Scene 2 is the Scene I'm talking about. The Pedal does not need an Amp bc it is a preamp built in. An Amp is in the Chain but muted as it's only used in Scene 1 with Pedal deactivated for a clean sound.

Attachments

• The Chug Pedal EXT.fasBundle
    30.9 KB · Views: 3
Ok, this is my latest Version of my Preset. Scene 2 is the Scene I'm talking about. The Pedal does not need an Amp bc it is a preamp built in. An Amp is in the Chain but muted as it's only used in Scene 1 with Pedal deactivated for a clean sound.
You are using the Archean Clean amp at all scenes. If I switch to Archean (which is on channel 2) it chugs as expected from the Archean. (I am playing with a Ibanez S540).

BTW, the reverb and the CAB preamp are on Ultra-High quality. These are CPU eaters.

And it doesn't make any difference setting the Preamp at the CAB block if you do not use the Drive/Saturation/Tome controls. You can set the preamp to None and save some CPU

Last edited:
You misunderstood me... it's just about scene 2 and as you can see I go to the external Solar Chug pedal via the fx loop (out2 -> in2). This is also a preamp, so I don't need an amp in Scene 2. The Archean is muted because it is only used in Scene 1. To get the sound I'm talking about, you'd have to watch Ola's video about the Chug pedal, I linked it above. I understood what you said about saving the CPU, I'll do it that way. What I'm trying to do all the time is get the sound from this pedal with the amps and pedals and all the stuff that's built into the fm3 and that's what I just can't do.

You misunderstood me... it's just about scene 2 and as you can see I go to the external Solar Chug pedal via the fx loop (out2 -> in2). This is also a preamp, so I don't need an amp in Scene 2. The Archean is muted because it is only used in Scene 1. To get the sound I'm talking about, you'd have to watch Ola's video about the Chug pedal, I linked it above. I understood what you said about saving the CPU, I'll do it that way. What I'm trying to do all the time is get the sound from this pedal with the amps and pedals and all the stuff that's built into the fm3 and that's what I just can't do.
You’re using a preamp pedal in place of an Amp block. That means that there’s nothing modeling the power amp. Power amps are essential to chug. What you’ve proven is that the preamp pedal by itself doesn’t chug.

Back
Top Bottom